Thai Ruby restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Thai Ruby restaurant

it means that i think 20% tip is fine with me if i feel the service is not up to par then see the manager and do not go back only in fl can 8 people get 8 different checks
Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM

Way to go, Nighthawk.

Despite what has been written here, I have had service charge added to my restaurant bill in Thailand, where I have visited rather frequently. It's amazing the fuss people make over what is such a pittance.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Last time I looked, this wasn't Thailand.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

In some places in Thailand they add a gratuity....some places don't. In the cities and tourist destinations (Phu Ket and Bangkok etc.)...the practice is more common. Some of the other but nice places in Thailand (Son Kla and Hat Yai)...the practice is less common. Moral....study your bill.....and if you don't understand it....ask. As with all things in business....Caveat Emptor. Haven't we learned this by now?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Please keep this blog open and let me know when Thai Ruby drops the tip add-on. Then I might try their food.
Now that most of our up-north friends have gone back home maybe a drop in business would help. :

I wonder if the Thai manager subscribes to this forum??? Might not be a bad idea if managers and owners of all the business's in the area view this forum. Just might help their business. ;D
Old 06-13-2007, 04:51 PM

I cannot understand why having the gratuity already on the bill is such a big deal. I've found that the amount they put there is less than I would have left, and often I leave a little extra anyway.

If I got bad service and the gratuity was already there, I just wouldn't go back. Its that easy.

As far as the Thai food being authentic... since when do we really expect authentic foreign cuisine? If you can find a Mexican restaurant that has authentic Mexican food, you're probably in Mexico - and away from the border at that. The same goes for Chinese. Speaking of which, I sure wish there was a good Chinese restaurant around.... not 'buffet' though. "Chinese buffet" is like saying "Fine dining fast food".

Bobbie
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

I have two objections to the way Thai Ruby does business which I believe you'll agree may have merit. First, a tip is intended to motivate good service. Build in the tip, you remove the motivation.

Secondly, many of us feel that Thai Ruby could do a better job of publicising that the tip is included. Yes it's on the bill if you're able to decipher every item on the bill and it is posted, although inconspicuously, by the register. Many of us feel that Thai Ruby has discovered a way to legitimately take more money from unsuspecting Villagers. As an experiment, try leaving a substantial tip and see if anyone runs after you asking if you really intended to double your tip because a tip was included in the bill! Anyone want to take bets?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 AM

gryoung, you are right on :bigthumbsup:

I recently used a gift card in a local restaraunt. The bill was $40 but I didn't have any cash so I laid a $20 on the ticket with the card. The waiter came back with my card,( I had a couple bucks left on it) and walked away. I called him back a few minutes later and asked him for my change for the tip. He pulled the $20 from his pocket and said he would be right back. He evidently assumed I was leaving a 50% tip but I don't think I look like a high roller.
When he brought my change he dropped four $5 dollar bills on the table and walked away. I should have left him 2 cents for his rudeness but I went against my own policy and left two five's, a lot more than he deserved.

Ah! The Villages, I love it, a new experience everyday.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM

THREE OF US HAD A VERY NICE MEAL THERE BUT LIKE A LOT OF YOU WE DID NOT KNOW OF THEIR PRACTICE OF ADDING A TIP TO THE TOTAL BILL UNTIL I READ IT HERE,SO WE LEFT A TIP. GOT SCREWED AGAIN BUT AT OUR AGE IT WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN AGAIN. I BELIEVE IN LEAVING A TIP APPROPIATE TO THE KIND OF SERVICE I GET. THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD SERVERS HERE AND I BELIEVE THEY ARE THE NORM BUT THERE ARE SOME WHO THINK THEY GET A TIP JUST FOR SHOWING UP AT YOUR TABLE SOONER OR LATER
Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM

I have been in way too many restaurants where the service was clearly excellent not only at my table but surrounding tables and yet I have seen many who will tip (if at all) a shameful 5 or 10%. And this is for EXCELLENT service. In these situations, I end up leaving a bit more over my standard 20% (for good to excellent service) just because I feel so bad for the servers. They don't deserve this kind response. Far too many people tip poorly and they're only hurting themselves and the rest of us, because quality servers will cease to exist.

The last time we ate at Thai Ruby, it was 15% they added to the bill. I felt like we got a bargain since we would normally have tipped 20%. If the service is not to your liking, then this is a good time to talk with management and let them know of your dissatisfaction. You may not get your 15% back, but at lease management will be aware.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Re-Thai Ruby ..it's quite common in Europe to add the tip to the bill e.g. in France look fro "Service Compris" = included or "Service non-compris" = not included ..just watch what you are buying !!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

Tried it and really like it a lot- would go back again. Didn't mind the tip put on the bill but would have been upset if I didn't happen to see the 8x10 sign on the front desk indicating that the tip would would be included on the bill.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Frankly, I don't like the food here.....Maybe it is good for Thai but I don't care for it.....
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

We have eaten at Thai Ruby several times and it's one of our favorites. The food is always excellent. I've been to Thailand a number of times and the wait staff there is respectful and humble..much as they are culturally. I was surprised that they added the 18% at first but then I decided that they were hurting themselves since I mostly tip 20% for good service. I have, in fact, added a bit to my bill for outstanding service.

Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Thai Ruby in Ocala on 200 is great. If you go order yum beef salad, satay chicken, chicken fried Rice. All medium if you like it spicey. also ask for a spice tray. Have them show you the fish sauce. It really brings the flavors out in the food!!
I do not think the Thai Ruby in the Villages are the same owners as the one in Ocala. they have never added gratuity on our bill.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.