Thai Ruby surprised me in a good way Thai Ruby surprised me in a good way - Talk of The Villages Florida

Thai Ruby surprised me in a good way

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-22-2026, 09:37 AM
Trayderjoe's Avatar
Trayderjoe Trayderjoe is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Villages Lake Sumter-Finally!
Posts: 806
Thanks: 1
Thanked 453 Times in 100 Posts
Default Thai Ruby surprised me in a good way

Prior to Covid, I had dined at Thai Ruby (Sumter Landing) twice and was disappointed each time. My comment at that time was that they served the blandest Thai food I had ever eaten.

I decided to give it another try this week to see if there might have been any changes and was pleased to see a 180-degree turnaround in the taste of their food. I was told that they had a different chef since my previous visits, so they must have been listening to their feedback. Honestly, I believe that Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala is better in terms of menu and depth of flavor, but Thai Ruby has improved such that I will only go to Ayuttaya now when I am in the Ocala area.

The service at Thai Ruby was excellent, and the meal spaced out so that I could enjoy one course without having the next course delivered too soon. I elected to start with the medium spice level, as I have found each Thai restaurant I have dined in, can vary on the heat level, so I start conservatively (I cannot eat Thai hot). I started with the Tom Kha Gai soup and the Thai Iced Tea being happily surprised with both. I would order both again, but at what they define as "hot" and see if the extra spices add to the flavor profile of the soup-which is what I would expect.

My entree was the Massaman Curry, and my surprise continued as the flavor was far and away better than my previous visits. I ended with Thai Ruby Ice cream (homemade coconut ice cream) which was very creamy.

I informed the manager that on my next visit, I will try their Red Curry, which is my favorite curry and will also try the Tom Kha Gai at the hot spice level as a comparison to the medium spice level. In short, yes, I am going back. If you have not been there in a while, and had experienced the same issues I had, it might be worth it to give it another try and see if you like the changes as well.
__________________
"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."
-
Theodore Rubin

Last edited by Trayderjoe; 09-22-2026 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Clarify that the location is at Sumter Landing
  #2  
Old 09-22-2026, 09:43 AM
Ecuadog's Avatar
Ecuadog Ecuadog is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Limbo
Posts: 2,604
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,304 Times in 628 Posts
Default

Thanks for the good info.
  #3  
Old 09-22-2026, 10:23 AM
charlie1 charlie1 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: The Villages
Posts: 257
Thanks: 4
Thanked 418 Times in 118 Posts
Default

I always ask for the spice tray and spice to my liking! never disappointed - I do like it quite spicy!
  #4  
Old 09-22-2026, 10:33 AM
Joecooool418's Avatar
Joecooool418 Joecooool418 is online now
Silver Member
Join Date: Sep 2025
Posts: 267
Thanks: 7
Thanked 260 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Prior to Covid, I had dined at Thai Ruby (Sumter Landing) twice and was disappointed each time. My comment at that time was that they served the blandest Thai food I had ever eaten.

I decided to give it another try this week to see if there might have been any changes and was pleased to see a 180-degree turnaround in the taste of their food. I was told that they had a different chef since my previous visits, so they must have been listening to their feedback. Honestly, I believe that Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala is better in terms of menu and depth of flavor, but Thai Ruby has improved such that I will only go to Ayuttaya now when I am in the Ocala area.

The service at Thai Ruby was excellent, and the meal spaced out so that I could enjoy one course without having the next course delivered too soon. I elected to start with the medium spice level, as I have found each Thai restaurant I have dined in, can vary on the heat level, so I start conservatively (I cannot eat Thai hot). I started with the Tom Kha Gai soup and the Thai Iced Tea being happily surprised with both. I would order both again, but at what they define as "hot" and see if the extra spices add to the flavor profile of the soup-which is what I would expect.

My entree was the Massaman Curry, and my surprise continued as the flavor was far and away better than my previous visits. I ended with Thai Ruby Ice cream (homemade coconut ice cream) which was very creamy.

I informed the manager that on my next visit, I will try their Red Curry, which is my favorite curry and will also try the Tom Kha Gai at the hot spice level as a comparison to the medium spice level. In short, yes, I am going back. If you have not been there in a while, and had experienced the same issues I had, it might be worth it to give it another try and see if you like the changes as well.
I always order my Thai food "Thai hot".

They won't make it at Thai Ruby. They bring out the hot sauces and you do it yourself. They told me that they took back too many meals and wouldn't serve Thai hot anymore.
  #5  
Old 09-22-2026, 10:34 AM
dougjb dougjb is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 313
Thanks: 106
Thanked 553 Times in 173 Posts
Default

That was a spectacular review!

My hats go off to you for providing all of us with an objective balanced restaurant review. You included your own preferences and weighed them against what you received.

I would hope that future restaurant reviewers would follow your lead and provide more than just a love it/hate it comment. Those comments are useless. Yours on the other hand has inspired me to go try Thai Ruby myself.

Thank you once again for your review!
  #6  
Old 09-22-2026, 11:18 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,507
Thanks: 14,560
Thanked 5,048 Times in 3,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Prior to Covid, I had dined at Thai Ruby (Sumter Landing) twice and was disappointed each time. My comment at that time was that they served the blandest Thai food I had ever eaten.

I decided to give it another try this week to see if there might have been any changes and was pleased to see a 180-degree turnaround in the taste of their food. I was told that they had a different chef since my previous visits, so they must have been listening to their feedback. Honestly, I believe that Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala is better in terms of menu and depth of flavor, but Thai Ruby has improved such that I will only go to Ayuttaya now when I am in the Ocala area.

The service at Thai Ruby was excellent, and the meal spaced out so that I could enjoy one course without having the next course delivered too soon. I elected to start with the medium spice level, as I have found each Thai restaurant I have dined in, can vary on the heat level, so I start conservatively (I cannot eat Thai hot). I started with the Tom Kha Gai soup and the Thai Iced Tea being happily surprised with both. I would order both again, but at what they define as "hot" and see if the extra spices add to the flavor profile of the soup-which is what I would expect.

My entree was the Massaman Curry, and my surprise continued as the flavor was far and away better than my previous visits. I ended with Thai Ruby Ice cream (homemade coconut ice cream) which was very creamy.

I informed the manager that on my next visit, I will try their Red Curry, which is my favorite curry and will also try the Tom Kha Gai at the hot spice level as a comparison to the medium spice level. In short, yes, I am going back. If you have not been there in a while, and had experienced the same issues I had, it might be worth it to give it another try and see if you like the changes as well.
Thai Ruby is one of favorite restaurants in the Villages.
  #7  
Old 09-22-2026, 05:18 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Prior to Covid, I had dined at Thai Ruby (Sumter Landing) twice and was disappointed each time. My comment at that time was that they served the blandest Thai food I had ever eaten.

I decided to give it another try this week to see if there might have been any changes and was pleased to see a 180-degree turnaround in the taste of their food. I was told that they had a different chef since my previous visits, so they must have been listening to their feedback. Honestly, I believe that Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala is better in terms of menu and depth of flavor, but Thai Ruby has improved such that I will only go to Ayuttaya now when I am in the Ocala area.

The service at Thai Ruby was excellent, and the meal spaced out so that I could enjoy one course without having the next course delivered too soon. I elected to start with the medium spice level, as I have found each Thai restaurant I have dined in, can vary on the heat level, so I start conservatively (I cannot eat Thai hot). I started with the Tom Kha Gai soup and the Thai Iced Tea being happily surprised with both. I would order both again, but at what they define as "hot" and see if the extra spices add to the flavor profile of the soup-which is what I would expect.

My entree was the Massaman Curry, and my surprise continued as the flavor was far and away better than my previous visits. I ended with Thai Ruby Ice cream (homemade coconut ice cream) which was very creamy.

I informed the manager that on my next visit, I will try their Red Curry, which is my favorite curry and will also try the Tom Kha Gai at the hot spice level as a comparison to the medium spice level. In short, yes, I am going back. If you have not been there in a while, and had experienced the same issues I had, it might be worth it to give it another try and see if you like the changes as well.
Great news, thanks. We very much enjoy Thai food and have given that place multiple tries over the years before finally giving up on them. I’ve never tasted such bland food. Hopefully the new chef makes Thai food the way we are accustomed to at other Tahi restaurants. We will definitely be giving it another chance based on the review.
  #8  
Old 09-22-2026, 06:03 PM
Dotneko Dotneko is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 648
Thanks: 2,271
Thanked 977 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Thai Ruby is our go to restaurant at LSL!
  #9  
Old 09-23-2026, 04:31 AM
cwmmfink cwmmfink is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 96
Thanks: 1
Thanked 63 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I love Thai Ruby red curry! American hot, not Thai hot!
  #10  
Old 09-23-2026, 06:25 AM
Polarlys Polarlys is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 54
Thanks: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Went to a Thai restaurant in Baltimore once and my daughter warned me to tell them "NO SPICE" that even mild was too HOT. I'm a wimp and will continue to add my own at Thai restaurants. We also enjoy Thai Ruby.
  #11  
Old 09-23-2026, 06:57 AM
Djean1981 Djean1981 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Villages
Posts: 866
Thanks: 7,192
Thanked 947 Times in 377 Posts
Default

The peanut chicken is great!
  #12  
Old 09-23-2026, 07:21 AM
Snakster66 Snakster66 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Winifred
Posts: 492
Thanks: 131
Thanked 414 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Last time I went there I got violently ill; I'll spare you the details. We used to go there fairly regularly, but it is permanently off my list.

My experience, ymmv.
  #13  
Old 09-23-2026, 07:27 AM
Ljmiller Ljmiller is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Very good to hear. I lived in Thailand for three years during the Vietnam War. I’ve come to know what to expect in Thai food and have found several restaurants over the years that live up to what I was accustomed to while in Thailand. I tried Thai Ruby over the years (last was about three years ago) and felt they did not live up to what I was used to. Of course it’s a matter of taste and experience but I just felt they fell short of what good Thai food should be. Based on this review I look forward to trying again and hope that I’m and pleasantly surprised. As I recall from my previous visits there the owners were from Udon Thani which is where I lived. Northern Thailand has Laotian flavors within their foods which I really enjoyed from my work in Laos at the time. Thank you for the review and restoring hope that there is a good chance of enjoying Thai Ruby on my next try.
  #14  
Old 09-23-2026, 07:42 AM
Veracity Veracity is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 160
Thanks: 40
Thanked 193 Times in 91 Posts
Default Thai Ruby

I am not a fan of Thai food, but I am a fan of this review. Great job.
  #15  
Old 09-23-2026, 10:21 AM
richdell's Avatar
richdell richdell is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Monarch Grove
Posts: 273
Thanks: 134
Thanked 130 Times in 86 Posts
Default

We were also disappointed in Thai Ruby. I guess it's time to try it again.
Reply

Tags
thai, ruby, level, flavor, curry


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.