Indian Restaurants in the area (Sumter and beyond)

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 12:23 AM
Default Indian Restaurants in the area (Sumter and beyond)

I've been looking at properties in the villages for the past year - plans put on hold until Covid-19 is over - and have made some short trips to visit and experience the lifestyle around Sumter.

I like variety in my food and Thai, Indian, Japanese, Korean foods are all favorites. While I managed to enjoy a meal at Thai Ruby I was unable to locate any nearby Indian restaurants.

Can anyone that lives around Sumter and shares the same taste as me comment on what options there are in the Villages? If I have to go outside of the bubble to say Ocala or beyond, then do you find it too far to travel?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,293 Posts

Here is a link to The Villages Gourmet Club website. Lots of reviews for all types of restaurants.

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site
Old 08-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Here is a link to The Villages Gourmet Club website. Lots of reviews for all types of restaurants.

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site
Lots of places reviewed! But how do you filter the search to only see a list of Indian restaurants? I'd LOVE to get a decent chicken curry but have no idea where to look.

Ah I found it - the search button isn't JUST a search button. It lets you filter-search! Awesome, thanks!

I think next time I go to Mt. Dora I'll have to stop at Shiva restaurant. Maybe instead of getting my usual chicken curry I'll try a couple of their appetizers, and the masala tea, and kheer for dessert. Missing Indian food SO much! We had one place in walking distance of my house up north, and 3 others within a 15 minute drive.

Miss the gastronomic adventure of New Haven County, Connecticut, SO much.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 08-29-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Lots of places reviewed! But how do you filter the search to only see a list of Indian restaurants? I'd LOVE to get a decent chicken curry but have no idea where to look.

Ah I found it - the search button isn't JUST a search button. It lets you filter-search! Awesome, thanks!

I think next time I go to Mt. Dora I'll have to stop at Shiva restaurant. Maybe instead of getting my usual chicken curry I'll try a couple of their appetizers, and the masala tea, and kheer for dessert. Missing Indian food SO much! We had one place in walking distance of my house up north, and 3 others within a 15 minute drive.

We did have an authentic Indian Restaurant in SS many years ago, it was in the group of shops past Publix. Unfortunately, it just could not make it here. Food was excellent.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-29-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,120 Posts

Bombay Cafe in Ocala , I haven’t been for long time , also be specific when you go to safari on phone restaurants popped up anything you do let’s say Italian restaurants near villages they will all pop up
Old 08-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,120 Posts
Default Also Ocala has some very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Bombay Cafe in Ocala , I haven’t been for long time , also be specific when you go to safari on phone restaurants popped up anything you do let’s say Italian restaurants near villages they will all pop up
restaurants, I go up 3 or 4 time a month it’s not that far and I’m 81 and live in Fenney, during Christmas season it is a must visit they light up the town square beautifully and Harry’s restaurant is great right across street
Old 08-29-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Indian Restaurant in Ocala on College Road 200. Not my cup of tea, but have seen it many times. Just East of I75.

Last edited by bilcon; 08-29-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: omission
Old 08-29-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I've been looking at properties in the villages for the past year - plans put on hold until Covid-19 is over - and have made some short trips to visit and experience the lifestyle around Sumter.

I like variety in my food and Thai, Indian, Japanese, Korean foods are all favorites. While I managed to enjoy a meal at Thai Ruby I was unable to locate any nearby Indian restaurants.

Can anyone that lives around Sumter and shares the same taste as me comment on what options there are in the Villages? If I have to go outside of the bubble to say Ocala or beyond, then do you find it too far to travel?

Thanks.
I can help you. A fantastic Indian Restaurant at Palm Coast Fl. 2 hr drive from the Villages.

I just happen to have a 3 Br. 3 Bath Condo that I am selling this week. Approx 2100 sq ft, 4th top floor end unit facing the intercoastal waterway. The condo is immaculate never been rented and I am the 2nd owner and honestly hardly been used.

Price $ 345,000 with furniture available. The restaurant is easily less then a 10 min. drive.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:52 AM

Hi - I'm a Brit - Have eaten in the Spanish Springs one a few years ago - was not good not surprised they did not make it ...now were any of the ones in Ocala ... SO us Brits formed our own curry club and we meet once every 3-4 weeks at someone's house each of us then bring different things - starters/mains etc. When you get to The Villages make friends with a Brit ... we have over 9000 Indian restaurants in the UK .. we know what we are doing !! What region to you like ?? Flavours are totally different depending on region.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

omg, too funny. there was sooo much indian food in Ct.,several places every town & down here are scarce. i havent seen one yet in the area. also, pizza down here isn't the same as frank pepe's or worcester, though piesano's comes very close.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:04 AM

Oh we love Indian food as well! We did see Shivas in Mt. Dora which is a great little town to visit and one in Ocala! We have a Indian friends visiting in a few weeks! We will definitely have to try one out...I have learned to do some Indian cooking at home so that helps!
Old 08-30-2020, 06:12 AM
Default Indian restaurant

My favorite Indian restaurant is Amrit Palace in Ocala. Well worth the ride
It’s not far from route 75 on 200. Enjoy
Old 08-30-2020, 06:36 AM

For chicken curry, Amrit Palace In Ocala is good But my favorite Indian restaurant is Bombay Cafe, near I75, excellent food, all vegetarian or vegan (South Indian).
Old 08-30-2020, 06:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,150 Times in 887 Posts

If you can't find those type of restaurants near you I recommend you try making them yourself! Because of Covid I tried to make my own authentic indian food and it was just as good as restaurants I've been to, and quite easy to do.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:54 AM

Big thank you to all that responded.
Closed Thread

Tags
indian, sumter, restaurants, thai, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.