Too cheap or what?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Sage
Default Too cheap or what?

I was talking with a golfing buddy. He said he was out to dinner at Glenview Country Club with 2 other couples. Two of the members of the other couples took out single packets of Crystal Light Lemonade and stirred them up in their ice-water (and left the empty packets on the table). The server noticed and told them he was going to have to charge them 75 cents each. The two people got angry and asked for the manager. The manager relented but told them if they did it again, the 75 cent charge would take place. The two couples told the manager they would not ever return to Glenview again with that policy being in effect.

To me,it is mighty cheap of the restaurant goers to take their own lemonade. Even if it for diabetic reason, they could forgo the drink if sugar-free lemonade or another sugar-free drink is not available.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Gold member

I think it's pretty rude and bold to take your crystal light out in a restaurant to make your own lemonade. IMHO, the manager handled it quite well. I do recall a period of time when Glenview tried to charge for extra lemons, that didn't last to long. We love Glenview and with the exception of one or two of the hostesses we find everyone to be pleasant and accomadating.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Now that is a situation that I personally would hate to witness. Good manners are simply kind and respectful behavior. When you don't buy the drink and make your own, you kind of "cheat the restaurant". If you wanted to make your own, stay home and if you want low sugar, drink the water that they do provide..

We know someone who knows someone who asks for MORE rolls to go with his leftovers that he is taking home. One time he asked for more vegetables to go with his leftover roast. His wife asks for extra lemons and makes her own lemonade.

Makes us cringe to hear about it..

But I was just thinking...yesterday at Crispers Helene got a great big ice tea and I didn't buy anything...and I took several sips of her tea...That was cheating. I just never thought. Won't do it again.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Sage

How about asking for a cup or glass of hot water and using your own tea bag.

I like a certain tea and it usually isn't available at restaurants.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Sage

Gracie,

"We know someone who knows someone who asks for MORE rolls to go with his leftovers that he is taking home."

I have been out to dinner with that guy! At Carabbas, this guy routinely asks them for an extra loaf of their bread with his leftovers and they actually bring it to him in a second bag so it does not get squashed. He rarely leaves a tip of more than 10% either.

I was out with the same couple at Red Lobster one time. His wife got the Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada sauce - on the side in a ceramic ramekin. She asked for a box for a couple of the leftover shrimp and then put the ramekin in the box, too.

Maybe I need to go out to dinner with other people?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
How about asking for a cup or glass of hot water and using your own tea bag.

I like a certain tea and it usually isn't available at restaurants.

No, that is not right. You could ask for the hot water and tell the waiter you will use your own special tea bag -- and offer to pay the rate of their hot tea. That would be the appropriate thing to do.
Default Glen view restaurant

If they give you water, you can spit in it if you want to. This restaurant has found far too many ways to aggravate the people trying to be patrons . The lemonade thing is a mindless action by the customers and the restaurant staff for the sake of $1.50.
Last year they had their burger special on for xx$$, ONLY IF you took it with their toppings on it. Telling them that they could just make it a plain burger for me and would have to charge me the regular price. They said they couldn't do that because leaving the lettuce tomato off, would slow down their production line in the kitchen.......there were 5 people in the restaurant at the time!!! And two of their receptionists could use lesson in manners too. WON'T BE BACK,!

Cheap, cheap, cheap. And then to make a fuss over 75 cents? I believe in saving money and being frugal but there are limits.

Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Gracie,

"We know someone who knows someone who asks for MORE rolls to go with his leftovers that he is taking home."

I have been out to dinner with that guy! At Carabbas, this guy routinely asks them for an extra loaf of their bread with his leftovers and they actually bring it to him in a second bag so it does not get squashed. He rarely leaves a tip of more than 10% either.

I was out with the same couple at Red Lobster one time. His wife got the Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada sauce - on the side in a ceramic ramekin. She asked for a box for a couple of the leftover shrimp and then put the ramekin in the box, too.

Maybe I need to go out to dinner with other people?
I would cringe with embarassment to be around people like that. It's just unbelievable.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Sage

I think the restaurants should carry more sugar free drinks than just colas. I myself cannot drink caffeine or sugar and am forced to drink water at every meal. I have been known to squeeze my lemon in my water and add some splenda. I do not ask for extra lemons, I just use the lemon slice they give me with my water. If they charged me 75 cents I would not mind. I'm just tired of drinking water all the time. Sprite zero or Fresca which are both caffeine free and sugar free would be awesome. I've asked time and time again to no avail.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM

who are so rude and cheap read these comments--Maybe after
reading these comments they will think twice next time they are
out in public---
Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum member

Years ago, we went to dinner with a couple who took minatures from the airplane to add to their water in resturants. They were cheap, down to the penny.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM

It would be helpful if restaurants would offer drinks without caffeine or sugar.
Caffeine-Free Diet Coke, Diet 7-Up, Diet Rootbeer, Sprite Zero, and several other drinks are available. Only a few offer even ONE of the above. If everyone would request drinks without sugar and caffeine, maybe more would at least offer one option. I don't blame customers for wanting something else besides water with their meal.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Sage

Last edited by angiefox10; 04-21-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default hmmmmmm...

Sorry, but I have to say that my reputation is far more important to me than saving $0.75! I am frugal and will use a coupon when I can but surely want to give a restaurant their due. Also want them to make a profit and do well there.

For sugar free drink....why not non sweet iced tea? Nope it does not have exactly caffeine in it...it has tannin. I am very sensitive to caffeine but can drink Iced tea and still sleep that night. You can always add pink or yellow packets to it. I am a fan of Stevia and will bring tha in my purse....but I have saved the restaurant money by not using their packets but still paying for the Iced Tea..right?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.