Turners vs Rose Plantation

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Also agree with the CIA comments .. Had the opportunity to host several Quarter Century Lunches back in the day when Big Blue honored such an accomplishment .. Always memorable
Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We all have very different ideas of what is the criteria for excellence in many different areas. They are our own personal values. What I find yummy and lovely, may not be what another finds yummy and lovely.

I still remember the escargot prepared at the Maisonette in Cincinnati. I remember drinking an amazing Reisling on our back porch in Columbus as a college student.

I like the chili from Wendy's too. And a single with cheese.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Berns is one of my favorite place to dine. And yes, best way is to go by Limo especially with great company to share the totally fantastic experience.
I've been there at least 50 times. My guestimate is to figure $150- $200 a person with a nice drink and dessert but yes you can do it under a $100 with advanced planning. And yes, the restaurant is very accomodating if you tell them you are on a budget. They truly understand they are sometimes a once in a lifetime visit and want u to be happy and of course not stiff them for the check. So, it goes both ways. But bottomline, go to Berns for the experience.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Is there any other dining club at TV besides the Gourmet Club?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
Berns is one of my favorite place to dine. And yes, best way is to go by Limo especially with great company to share the totally fantastic experience.
I've been there at least 50 times. My guestimate is to figure $150- $200 a person with a nice drink and dessert but yes you can do it under a $100 with advanced planning. And yes, the restaurant is very accomodating if you tell them you are on a budget. They truly understand they are sometimes a once in a lifetime visit and want u to be happy and of course not stiff them for the check. So, it goes both ways. But bottomline, go to Berns for the experience.
Most informative.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Four of us were at Turners Saturday evening and it was outstanding. We eat there frequently and I did notice a change in menu. Maybe a couple of entree's.
If Chat does the private room the chef will prepare a menu just for them. Everyone I know who has done the private room raved.
We were at Bern's last month and I have no desire to return. Crowded and noisy. The best part the dessert room.
Different strokes....which is why we can all keep our favorites in business

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking Profile

Some of the Dining Rooms at the Culinary were the Escoffier Room, which at the time was the most expensive and elaborate. They also have/had The Italian Restaurant, The American Restaurant, plus a couple of others. The Escoffier will be changed to The Bocuse. If anyone travels to New York City the train ride on the Hudson to Poughkeepsie is about 1 1/2 hours and a 30 minute ride to the Culinary. At the same time you can tour the Roosevelt home and the Vanderbuilt masion. There is also Marist College and Vassar college.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:12 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Some of the Dining Rooms at the Culinary were the Escoffier Room, which at the time was the most expensive and elaborate. They also have/had The Italian Restaurant,
The American Restaurant, plus a couple of others. The Escoffier will be changed to The Bocuse. If anyone travels to New York City the train ride on the Hudson to Poughkeepsie is about 1 1/2 hours and a 30 minute ride to the Culinary. At the same time you can tour the Roosevelt home and the Vanderbuilt masion. There is also Marist College and Vassar college.
and the Castle on the Hudson
Old 07-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
The Rose corkage fee is $20. Recently bought a bottle perfect of 1986 Chateau Margaux from my cellar. Excellent food.
Excellent wine. Corkage fee very reasonable. I love Rose, but Chat you have been more than once. What about V&A at Disney, Limo, stay on property, Limo home

Last edited by asianthree; 07-03-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Excellent wine
It was still quite youthful. Deep dark red. This one had a fill of mid-neck, the lowest of the three I have. Gonna wait a few more years on the others.

Eyeing a 1989 Chateau Palmer for my next corkage fee dinner. Does anyone know of other nearby fine dining establishments that have a corkage fee?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
We have been in The Villages for eight years today. Since moving here we have eaten in 355+ non fast food restaurants and 175 of them more than once. We have been to Bern's three times including taking the MIL there for her 90th birthday. All three visits have been top notch from all aspects, Spent the night, sans MIL, on one trip for Valentines day. Dessert in the Harry Waugh Dessert room is a mandatory experience. To the question between Turner's and Rose Plantation both are similar as to quality. I would lean toward Rose Plantation because of ambience and adaptability on the menu. They will accommodate requests for alternate sides where the chef at Turner's believes he knows what combination/side I like more than I do. Other options are Fish Bones in Lake Mary and Fancesca's Tratorria in Gainesville if you like Northern Italian cuisine.
The chef at Turner's looks upon his creations as paintings not to be altered. Kind of refreshing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The chef at Turner's looks upon his creations as paintings not to be altered. Kind of refreshing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I guess asking for ketchup would be out of the question.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I guess asking for ketchup would be out of the question.
Not at all. But, asking for Tomato Ketchup might be an insult. Ketchup is a generic term for condiments. In France I had an unbelievable, smoked onion ketchup. Got the recipe, somewhere....
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
It was still quite youthful. Deep dark red. This one had a fill of mid-neck, the lowest of the three I have. Gonna wait a few more years on the others.

Eyeing a 1989 Chateau Palmer for my next corkage fee dinner. Does anyone know of other nearby fine dining establishments that have a corkage fee?
We hosted a 7 course with wine last weekend. The new release of Screaming Eagle arrived on Friday we celebrated with Cake Bread and Nickle Nickle.
All coveted the Eagle bottles and placed them with their earlier counterparts in the cellar.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We hosted a 7 course with wine last weekend. The new release of Screaming Eagle arrived on Friday we celebrated with Cake Bread and Nickle Nickle.
All coveted the Eagle bottles and placed them with their earlier counterparts in the cellar.
Only had a Screaming Eagle 2000? once. I remember saying it was like drinking puppies. (We were only allocated a bottle!) Made with the classic Bordeax blend, one wonders if it has the legs for the test of time, like my Margaux. Congratulations on the score. How many did you get?

I'v always thought the Cakebread whites are some of the most classic of their Calif style. The Reds always dependable. The Nickel & Nickel single vineyards taste all over the map. IMHO based upon the few I have tasted, a good restaurant wine but not for the cellar.

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-03-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: notes
Closed Thread

Tags
berns, local, fairly, comparisons--i, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.