Views at Havana Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Most of our group ordered food very few got the same items. Only 2 people I know said they didn't care for what they order not that it was bad just not what they thought. Ours were very good and took home the leftovers for lunch today. Don't judge the place on someone else's opinion. Try it yourself and then post your review.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Bonnie,
Have they moved away from being a Cuban/Old Florida themed menu? We loved that! It is so hard to find good Florida seafood here! (except for Bonefish)
It's not a full menu yet. They will be adding things. Not sure what type of things they will be looking at. Our friends said the salmon was delicious.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
You made your point, made your point , made your point. Nothing like reviewing a place without going there. And if you are not going somewhere do you always announce it? Shame, people invest a lot of money, time and effort in a business and are criticized by people who Review it from their couch. If you have nothing good to say perhaps don't say anything and let this businessman take his shot. I wish him luck and pray that he succeeds.
And I was willing to give it a try until I saw the menu. I can get that menu at any number of Village restaurants, hence my comment. I had hoped the regular menu would be different but the Gourmet Club posting shows it's no different than a lot of the other CC menus here. Those dishes may very well be good BUT, they are not what I want to eat when spending my money and calories dining out. If you enjoy it, good for you. Capiche?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I'm always amazed at people who review a place without ever going. We went 3 nights and ate all 3 nights. Food was very good. They have only had a limited menu for right now. Better to take a little time and do it right. Those that keep saying I'm not going, that's fine, just don't go, but don't bad mouth a place you have never been to and you say you aren't even going to go to.
There are a few places I don't like and a few I have never been to. I just don't say anything about them. I never want anyone not to make it. If others like it, that's great. I just go where I like.
And I respect that. My post was not "bad mouthing". I simply stated that the menu posted by the Gourmet Club is not a menu I would go out for. I said nothing about the quality of those dishes. If others like it, great. If those dishes are prepared excellently, great. Again, it's not a menu I would pick from. As we all should know, food is subjective to the person. My tastes may be different than yours. If a new restaurant opened serving only liver and you hated liver, what would you do? Go there and complain or not go there because you didn't care for the menu? I don't care for the menu but time will tell how successful that menu will be.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I'm always amazed at people who review a place without ever going. We went 3 nights and ate all 3 nights. Food was very good. They have only had a limited menu for right now. Better to take a little time and do it right. Those that keep saying I'm not going, that's fine, just don't go, but don't bad mouth a place you have never been to and you say you aren't even going to go to.
There are a few places I don't like and a few I have never been to. I just don't say anything about them. I never want anyone not to make it. If others like it, that's great. I just go where I like.
Spot on!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And I respect that. My post was not "bad mouthing". I simply stated that the menu posted by the Gourmet Club is not a menu I would go out for. I said nothing about the quality of those dishes. If others like it, great. If those dishes are prepared excellently, great. Again, it's not a menu I would pick from. As we all should know, food is subjective to the person. My tastes may be different than yours. If a new restaurant opened serving only liver and you hated liver, what would you do? Go there and complain or not go there because you didn't care for the menu? I don't care for the menu but time will tell how successful that menu will be.
Exactly. I didn't "write a review" either. I also stated that, from the menu I saw, this is not high quality food.
And it's not a NEW restaurant. I'll bet this one will employ fewer people than Hemingway's at Havana. The Villages is losing the good restaurants it once had.

Skip
Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 AM
Platinum member

BTW, the last NEW restaurant to open was The Fenney Grill and that closes at 5 PM. The two before that were Flippers Pizzeria in Grand Traverse (July) and Bob Evans in Colony (January). Both of those are duplicates of what we already have.

Skip
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Gold member

I have to give Demshar's props. A very good menu bordering on fine dining in a casual atmosphere. Not just the usual sandwiches found around TV.

Last edited by Aloha1; 09-22-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Sage

Skip you are soon correct,what does this new restaurant do thats different from Mallory, Evans Prairie,Bonifay, Belle Glade,Glenview, Cane Garden, Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills

The only unique clubs IMHO are Arnold Palmer, Lopez Legacy , Tierra Del Sol and its clone the Fenney Grill

The only club we'll frequent in the top sentence will be the Cane Garden--because they have a few mid week specials that we like--and they're less than 1.3 miles from our house
Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Skip you are so correct, what does this new restaurant do thats different from Mallory, Evans Prairie,Bonifay, Belle Glade,Glenview, Cane Garden, Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills
The only club we'll frequent in the top sentence will be the Cane Garden--because they have a few mid week specials that we like--and they're less than 1.3 miles from our house
RE: Cane Garden. and the Chef, Louis Santiago, has been there since Day One. Excellent, moderately priced food. We frequent it too. We like Demshar's too

Views at Havana has Chicken, Salmon, Fish 'n Chips and a Pork Chop at the high end.

Skip will skip the "new" Views.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage

Demshar's is out of our comfort zone--Spanish Springs is a little too far to drive home after a good drink and a bottle of wine
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post

The menu posted by the Gourmet Club looks like the limited menu that was used for their soft opening. From what we were told the menu will have more items on it. We enjoyed the food we had at the soft opening and will be back to see what the rest of the menu looks like and give it a try.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Demshar's is out of our comfort zone--Spanish Springs is a little too far to drive home after a good drink and a bottle of wine
I'd think ANY distance is too far to DRIVE after a good drink and a bottle of wine.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM

We gave it a try last night. Beautiful view and great friends, but the food and service were underwhelming to say the least. One person in our group ordered the lobster mac and cheese. We found exactly two pieces of lobster?! A guy was walking around who appeared to be a manager. We mentioned it to him - he basically said they were "talking to the kitchen." No apology or follow-up. The other meals were "ok" but nothing special. Our waitress was pretty much non-existent. We may give it another try, but will wait a while in hopes they get some things corrected. We are not difficult to please - still enjoyed a nice evening with friends.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We had dinner there last night. I had a shrimp cocktail and calamari both were great My husband something called the stack which he said was good. The other couple both had the Salmon St. Croix. They liked it but preferred the Hemingway version. Our waiter was very good. The are switching to their full menu Monday evening. We have a reservation for a group of 7. I will post the highlights of the full menu on Tuesday.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, night, views, havana, selection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.