Whole clams with belly...fried...

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Default Whole belly clams

They have them at the Lighthouse in Lake Sumter - expensive but they are there. Owner is also from Boston.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Default Whole belly clams

Dan's Clam Hut. Rt 44 Lecanto. Delicious!
Old 12-11-2022, 09:44 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Are there any restaurants between Ocala and Leesburg that sell fried clams with the bellies?

Thank you.
Lighthouse on Lake Sumter. But will try some of the suggested restaurants as I love whole bellies!
Old 12-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Lena's in Silver Springs has them, or did!
Old 12-11-2022, 10:27 AM

Rae Rae's on 441
Old 12-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
forget it? if you are looking for seafood in florida, forget it. I've tried and tried, and the conclusion from many of the seafood lovers like us, is the seafood here is awful....period...and so is the Chinese food also, just for good measure
So all of these people from Massachusetts who have mentioned Essex House in Pierson are wrong?

I've been to Essex House several times and I can tell you that it's as good or better than what I used to get in eastern Massachusetts.

Chinese food is subject to where you come from. It's different everywhere. I'm from the Boston area and got used to a certain style of Chinese food. I've had it in San Francisco where it is supposed to be the best in the U.S. and I didn't like it as much as the stuff I got at home. I've also had Chinese food in China and I would guess that most Americans would hate it.

The same goes for pizza. The pizza and Chinese food here are fine. They are just not what we are used to.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Are there any restaurants between Ocala and Leesburg that sell fried clams with the bellies?

Thank you.
OK I'll BITE. Being from the left coast what makes the clams with bellies special fried?
Old 12-11-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you.
The Lighthouse in the Villages. Has great whole belly fried clams
Old 12-11-2022, 02:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,969 Times in 754 Posts

“ Clam strips are like decaf coffee – what’s the point?”

“How is this even a question? Clam strips are not clams, they are deep-fried rubber bands.”

“Clam strips are like a hot fudge sundae without the hot fudge.”

“Go belly or go home!“

“WHOLE clams or NO clams!”
Old 12-11-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolinJabjab View Post
OK I'll BITE. Being from the left coast what makes the clams with bellies special fried?
Having lived in both Boston and Los Angeles, I am pretty sure that there are no REAL clams with bellies on the west coast. A western fried clam is nothing like a fried Ipswich clam which is the only one with the bellies people are looking for. They have a distinctive flavor and are more juicy than rubbery like a whole "regular" clam. I looked for them in the west for 40 years that I lived there and never found one. I'm excited to find them here! While I'm at it, I also looked for shrimp with lobster sauce like I had in Boston and never found that either. Any of that anywhere near here?
Old 12-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
You’ll have to try them to find out.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Well, without the bellies is basically a tiny piece of calamari. but also being from New England and hunter/gather them myself (actually snorkel for quahogs and dig for steamers) frying kills the whole clam experience. They should be steamed for 3-4 minutes, put in bowl to cool, and then gently removed from the shell and lightly dipped in a mixture of lime and butter. . . or lemon and butter, but just lightly. . . and if you don't know how to remove all the sand prior to cooking, you aren't a real hunter/gatherer/connehserrrrr

and while we are on the topic, Mussels, the surface bivalve, is the bad cousin used for fish bait.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:12 PM
Default Confirm What You Will Be Served At The Lighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
They have them at the Lighthouse in Lake Sumter - expensive but they are there. Owner is also from Boston.
In the past, I've had whole bellies at the Lighthouse. Most often, I ordered the clam strips, which were freshly breaded, much cheaper yet satisfying.,

However, last week I ordered the clam strips and was shocked when served a product that looked identical to that by Mrs. Paul in the frozen food section at Publix. In fact, it probably was Mrs. Paul's, with breading that was a 1/4th inch thick and had certainly come from a plastic bag in the freezer.

I complained to the server. She told me the restaurant changed its supplier and the concoction I was served is now the regular menu item. She went on to say that she recommends not ordering the clam strips if asked. I told her I wished she had volunteered that when I ordered.

I didn't ask if the supplier for the whole bellies was changed. However, before ordering them, I will be certain to do so.

Fortunately, my wife shared her fish and chips. The fish was a full side of Haddock and was excellent. Also, it was a bargain at less than $10.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Celebration has them , and the restaurant slips my mind…. They are awesome !
I think its called Old Town Tavern, great place I go there often.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So all of these people from Massachusetts who have mentioned Essex House in Pierson are wrong?

I've been to Essex House several times and I can tell you that it's as good or better than what I used to get in eastern Massachusetts.

Chinese food is subject to where you come from. It's different everywhere. I'm from the Boston area and got used to a certain style of Chinese food. I've had it in San Francisco where it is supposed to be the best in the U.S. and I didn't like it as much as the stuff I got at home. I've also had Chinese food in China and I would guess that most Americans would hate it.

The same goes for pizza. The pizza and Chinese food here are fine. They are just not what we are used to.
yes mr Winston. when I see people with name tags indicating where they are from, be it Maine, Rhode Island, or even that place you are from, which I refuse to admit. it is the same response. the "seafood" here is awful. I've tried several of those hidden gems, for fried clams, and like I said forget it. I cringe when some people tell me that they get raw oysters? and tell me they are great? good luck with that. go to the country clubs, the food is 50-50,
Closed Thread

Tags
fried, clams, leesburg, bellies, sell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.