Will this bring fast food prices down??

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2023, 05:19 AM

The Villages - the fast food capital of the world - this is a concern? With all that's going on in this world!
Old 10-25-2023, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
The Villages - the fast food capital of the world - this is a concern? With all that's going on in this world!
I need something to think about when I take a break from easing world hunger, cleaning up the streets of San Francisco, fighting the drug cartels, and ending the invasion of Ukraine.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-25-2023, 05:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
A lot of people seem to be concerned about AI replacing humans. This is another aspect.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

The government needs to stop paying people to stay home instead of working. Nobody wants to work anymore because they know they will get paid.
Plus, raising the minimum wage fixes nothing. Everybody who got a $5 increase in pay still made less overall because all the businesses raised their prices to cover the increase in salaries and part of the inflation we have been experiencing is due to these increase in salaries.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Probably, but I have no interest in going through a drive-thru. I also have no interest in using a touch screen in the restaurant.
You got that touch screen right. I have not been to an Olive Garden for years. My last image was of a small child playing some game on the touch screen while wiping drool from his mouth and nose with those same hands. Saw the wait staff come in and remove the dishes, a quick wipe of the table, and reset the table for the next customer. The touch screen was merely repositioned.

Spoke to the manager about observation and was told that it was corporate policy that cleaning be performed after every use. Good to know that policy protected us.

You might ask, why bring that up in a thread about automation? Touch screens are part of the process of automation. Get rid of the people and transfer the work directly from customer to robot. Who controls the touch points? Only a good well-trained manager with a well-trained staff. Are they building that into automation?

Enjoy your next fast food or any dining experience knowing that corporate policy is protecting you.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I think what fast food restaurants need is more customers, not fewer employees. Whenever I go to a fast food place, the dining area is almost empty.
Fast food restaurant revenues have been growing except during the pandemic.

Revenue for Limited-Service Restaurants, All Establishments, Employer Firms (LRRAEEF2722513) | FRED | St. Louis Fed
Old 10-25-2023, 06:33 AM

We'll never have to worry about a robot not washing their hands.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:49 AM

No. Have to cover equipment cost first and it will then decrease overhead and increase profit. It helps solve the worker shortage, nobody wants to work in the service industry anymore.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
White Castle is using robots to make French fries. I would assume that making hamburgers will be next. With kiosks and robots, it seems that fast food restaurants will have significantly lower labor costs in the future. And more starter jobs will disappear.

White Castle is rolling out fry cook robots across the US
And don’t forget to add in pink slim beef.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Plus, raising the minimum wage fixes nothing. Everybody who got a $5 increase in pay still made less overall because all the businesses raised their prices to cover the increase in salaries and part of the inflation we have been experiencing is due to these increase in salaries.
Exactly:

Minimum wage: $0.75/hour.
Gas: $0.27 or 22m.
Movie ticket: $0.48 or 38m.
Rent: $42 or 56hrs. (All figures represent the average cost of a movie ticket, a gallon of gas, and the median rent.)
Old 10-25-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

In California they passed a law to pay fast food employees $20 an hour minimum wage. Robots will be getting a lot more work.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
White Castle is using robots to make French fries. I would assume that making hamburgers will be next. With kiosks and robots, it seems that fast food restaurants will have significantly lower labor costs in the future. And more starter jobs will disappear.

Won't happen because the aim of automation is not to bring prices down. It's to push profits up. The real losers will be the employees who will be out of a job. That's why I NEVER use the self-checkout lanes. I'm willing to stand in line for a few minutes to save someone's job.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:01 AM
Default To set the clock or not. . .

Quote:
Not just your dad. The VCR was a technology disaster because normal people couldn't program them. Most people couldn't even set the clock. Being an engineer, I loved them.
It was *so* painful to not only set that clock, but also to set it up to record your programs. Turned out that there were just enough motivators for me to break down and get it done - not the least of which being that I learnt from my peers the term "twelve o'clock flasher". The best thing about the internet coming along in the mid-nineties was that I finally had so much better *access* to my peers. Best invention ever - the internet, not the VCR's.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Will this bring prices down? Absoultly not! You only have to look as far as a Winn-Dixie Publix, walmart, or Target to see the automated checkout lanes.Did their prices go down?
Old 10-25-2023, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
In California they passed a law to pay fast food employees $20 an hour minimum wage. Robots will be getting a lot more work.
Why in the world would a business owner forced to pay unskilled employees 20 bucks an hour (who often think they are doing their employer a favor by showing up) not think about replacing them with a machine?
Closed Thread

Tags
robots, food, fast, lower, disappear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.