Is anyone else surprised

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Is anyone else surprised

that the coronavirus hasn't spread more rapidly in The Villages?

I'm not minimizing the threat as I feel that the threat is huge. It's just that I thought that when it got here it would spread like wildfire. I thought the hospitals would be overwhelmed in a matter of days.

Maybe it's because the first cases got here around the same time as the Governor's stay at home order.

I've personally met and chatted with some people here in TV that think the everyone is over reacting and that it's not a big deal. I witnessed myself people in a supermarket standing within inches of one another and talking into each other's face.

I guess (hope) that these cases are few and far between but I really thought that once it got here we were going to see thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths within a matter of weeks.

It appears that we're doing a great job of mitigating. Way to go!!! Keep up the good work.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

The mitigators are killing the virus and are saving lives of smart & stupid people.

The socializers are feeding the virus and extending the life of the virus.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

I'm not minimizing the threat as I feel that the threat is huge. It's just that I thought that when it got here it would spread like wildfire. I thought the hospitals would be overwhelmed in a matter of days.

Maybe it's because the first cases got here around the same time as the Governor's stay at home order.

I've personally met and chatted with some people here in TV that think the everyone is over reacting and that it's not a big deal. I witnessed myself people in a supermarket standing within inches of one another and talking into each other's face.

I guess (hope) that these cases are few and far between but I really thought that once it got here we were going to see thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths within a matter of weeks.

It appears that we're doing a great job of mitigating. Way to go!!! Keep up the good work.
I feel it is way too early in the game to tell how bad (or not) it will be here.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I feel it is way too early in the game to tell how bad (or not) it will be here.
Not too early to discuss results to date. The early indicators, so far would suggest most residents are complying with the CDC and state guidelines/orders...

Those who think it is no big deal or we are over reacting? Let's all hope and pray for them, friends, family and us they are not asymptomatic carriers.
As the saying goes....there is no fixin' stupid!!!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

The next two weeks should tell the tale. I'm a little concerned about churches being allowed to have congregations inside, this is the worst possible time to be doing so.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The next two weeks should tell the tale. I'm a little concerned about churches being allowed to have congregations inside, this is the worst possible time to be doing so.

Are there really churches in TV holding services in person? All I’ve heard of are online or drive in to watch a large screen.
Which churches are doing this?
Old 04-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The incubation period is quite long and 80% don't get very sick so it may be too early to tell.

I was just speaking with a friend who while visiting her grandchildren in WA over Thanksgiving last year became very ill and even lost her sense of taste and smell. Several of the children got pneumonia. She now believes they had the Wuhan virus. Many Chinese were visiting or living in the area and she believes it got there through some of them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The incubation period is quite long and 80% don't get very sick so it may be too early to tell.

I was just speaking with a friend who while visiting her grandchildren in WA over Thanksgiving last year became very ill and even lost her sense of taste and smell. Several of the children got pneumonia. She now believes they had the Wuhan virus. Many Chinese were visiting or living in the area and she believes it got there through some of them.
Interesting concept. Perhaps that person should get tested to see if she has developed antibodies to the virus.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Interesting concept. Perhaps that person should get tested to see if she has developed antibodies to the virus.
Next time I speak with her I will suggest she get tested and give plasma if she had it. She is 70 years old and was very very sick for weeks. At the time she thought it was the worst case of flu she ever had experienced.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Yes.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The first case here was over two weeks ago. The incubation period could be up to fourteen days. With the testing facility at the polo grounds, I would think that if there were a lot of cases we'd know about it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM

Yes, they are. The governor said church services are 'essential services.' There was one church on the news (can't remember which one) in which 1800 people were in attendance. They kept saying that the blood of Jesus heals and seemed to really believe that they couldn't get it.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthiest View Post
Yes, they are. The governor said church services are 'essential services.' There was one church on the news (can't remember which one) in which 1800 people were in attendance. They kept saying that the blood of Jesus heals and seemed to really believe that they couldn't get it.
Too bad there isn't any "blood of Jesus" around when you need it. Let's hope these parishioners have hoarded a supply.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:48 PM
Sage

Here is a published lists of cruises on which people may have been exposed to the virus. If any Villagers were on board they could potentially be carriers.

Coronavirus: Cruise passengers on these ships may have been exposed

Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Not surprised. We are in a demographic that is much more likely to die if the virus is contracted but our lifestyle in an environment that make close contact less likely then say NYC should limit the exposure. The rate of spread is actually very small if you do the math -especially here. This recognized the steps taken to close the squares, etc.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
thought, cases, people, matter, threat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.