Managing the Rental of our home

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Default Managing the Rental of our home

We are part timers and plan to rent our home when we are not in TV, probably May to Nov. Looking for recommendations on listing the property and do you use a property management company.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,459 Posts

This is just my opinion. If you don't live here and can't keep an eye on your home I don't think it's worth renting it in the off months. First you'll get the lowest rent of the year if you can even get someone in there, you have to charge taxes and file them with the state, you will need to keep your wi-fi and cable TV on all year, your utilities will be much higher with summer tenants, if you use a managing company you will pay 15 to 20% and will be one of hundreds of homes that they have for rent, they will also make you have their list of items in your home, cleaning fees, etc. and who know what multiple tenants may be carrying into your home. I would shut down the extras, keep the air on 79 along with the humidity control, get someone to do home checks and someone to maintain your exterior. I'm sure you will get answers about how great it will be to have it in the rental pool but just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,442 Times in 2,540 Posts

Agree with post#2.
As a renter of over twenty years, my advice would also be don't.
Cheapest months to rent, lots of competition, most rentals for very short periods, add wear and tear, cleaning cost between rentals, it is, in my humble opinion, financially not worth it.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,622 Times in 951 Posts

I think, most of the rental agencies require at least on of the months of Jan/Feb/Mar. They want to make money too
Old 03-04-2021, 07:40 AM

I completely agree. It’s simply not worth the hassle. Unless you can rent it through your home town, with one renter who you could check out, and no management company. Then maybe.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 AM

I agree with them. Waste of time. We’ve been renting property here for 18 years. One time rented one of them in those months (renters house got struck by lighting, needed a house for seven months). Best months to rent October thru March, maybe April.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, property, managing, recommendations, listing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.