Auto Train

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2021, 09:01 PM
Default Auto Train

We are coming down to look at a house to buy this week and considering the autotrain, bringing one car to leave with a friend when we go back home to finish selling our house.

Any experience with the autotrain? what is the best way to get from the Villages to the Samford train station?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Looked into it, no dogs was a non starter.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

A few years back we took the auto train in order to bring a car down for use at our (then) seasonal condo in Pinellas County. We flew back home, though, so we didn't have to get back to Sanford.

The auto train experience beat the heck out of a two-day drive from Philly. We didn't book a sleeper car, just tried to sleep in regular seats. It wasn't fun, but I'm glad we did it. Sometimes the tickets are pricey but we happened to travel at a time when it was fairly inexpensive.

TIP: We got to the station in VA very early, which meant that our car got put on the train early. "First in" means "Last out". We had to wait a couple of hours for our car to be unloaded as a result. If I did it again I would plan to arrive later in the day. After that long (all night) train ride you will want to get your car and get on the road to TV.

Good luck (with your travels AND your house hunting!)

kathy
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We took the Autotrain down in 2011 for our LSV, that was in April and we couldn't book a return trip. We made the reservation in February but going north in April was already sold out, so we just drove the car back. January to April is the high season, so April is when all the snowbirds will go north.

We took it again round in August of 2013 for a trip back north. Prices were a big difference. The April trip was $900 each week, we that included an extra $100 for a larger car. The August round-trips was $750 total with a smaller car. Time of the year is important for pricing and lead time in booking. I'm sure those booking to come south in November to January will probably have the same problems we faced in April going north.

The ride is fine. They're identical stations in Sanford Florida and just outside Alexandria Virginia. They very modern and mostly glass and once you know way around, they are both just alike.

After arriving at Sanford, you're be in a sort of residential area in a very congested neighborhood. Go north from train yard and in about 3 blocks you'll be on Hwy 46, it's 4 lanes, very busy congested road. Turn left west bound, you'll soon go under I-4 and past a mall and continue on 46 about 20 miles until the Mount Dora area. When you see an exit for 441 leesburg, take it and 441 will take you right to TV in a sense, probably about 75 minutes total.

Once you're on 441 it is total congestion the entire way. Depends on what area of TV you're going determines when you will leave 441. TV is about 20 miles from south to north, you might turn west on 44, 466A, 466 or 42, depending on where you want to enter TV.

There is one train leaving at identical times from both stations everyday at 4pm, you check in at station about 1pm to 3pm and get your seat assignment. The trains will arrive between 9 and 10am the next morning. Coming back to Florida in 2013 we had breakfast at 6am in the dining car and we got done they said, were ahead of schedule and we should get into Sanford about 8am. Within about an hour the train came to a stop in woods near Palatka Florida. The druggie hangout apparently was the railroad tracks and we ran over two people stoned on the tracks.

The local police came to investigate, a medivac helicopter came in to take one of the victims to the University of Florida Hospital, the two engineers driving the train had to be relieved even though we only had about an hour to go, union rules. We had to wait for a new crew to drive up from Sanford. When it was all done, we got into Sanford about 1pm in the afternoon.

The cars are nice and if you want to see scenery, although a lot of the trip is during nightime, you're in the upper deck so to speak, so you have good visibility from window. Downstairs are places for those in wheel chairs and sleeper type accommodations. For about $300 you get a place downstairs where the seats fold completely flat and there a curtain you can pull all the way around you. I didn't think it was worth it, plus I felt like staying awake. They do have small pillows and blankets for about $15 each, I don't know if you can get to keep them. I went to Walmart beforehand and bought a small pillow for $4 and a small blanket for $4 and took them on the trip and I still have them. There might also be sleeping berths, which I think are $500.

The seats in the upper seating area do recline a good deal. I took the last seats in the row, so that way if I put my seat back all the way it wouldn't bother anyone behind me. As it is, the rows are much further apart, they're nothing like an airplane or a bus. I think it was seats 41 & 42 were the last. Besides arriving early is better for selecting your seats, you also can select your dinner time. Since you're up and about all day, I got hungry early, so we always take 5pm for dinner, you can chose 5, 6 or 7. So arriving late you may find yourself eating at 7pm.

The morning breakfast, the conductor will come through and announce the dining car is open, usually about 6am. Something you may find unusual is that tables seat 4 and if you're only a couple, you sit with strangers. It's usually a neat thing. Once we sat with a young college girl from DC going to school in Orlando at UCF, and was from the middle east and had a turben on her head. Not the kind person I would normally sit with, but we learned a lot. Another time was with a normal looking fellow, but he was a national officer in NRA going to a convention to give a speech. Again, I use to belong NRA and I'm for gun rights, but I'm not big fan of hunting, so that was another interesting time.

They take a picture of your car before loading it, so you cannot make a false claim for damage. If you arrive early, which we always did, your car will probably be one of last to be unloaded, that's about 90 minutes after the train has arrived. You can pay an extra $50 and your car will be off-loaded first. There is no checked baggage, your baggage is in your car and you can bring a small bag with our bathroom supplies, snacks, whatever.

Here's the location of the train station in Sanford.

Google Maps

Both stations look alive, big seating areas, plenty of glass and big screen TVs with the news channels playing.

The Villages Florida

This is how it will look as it gets closer to boarding time. You won't be able to board until 3:30 and it will pull out at 4pm.

The Villages Florida

The windows are up high on the second level for good visibility.

The Villages Florida

Usually we arrived at the station about 1: 30 to 2:00 we could pick the seats we wanted, the meal time we wanted, no lines like this.

The Villages Florida

Typical dining table with tablecloth.

The Villages Florida

Your cabin, plenty of room.

The Villages Florida

Plenty of legroom, and good tray tables. My biggest complaint is as soon as the train pulls out, you get excited, you want to take it all in, and look out the windows. Everyone around us seemed to want to take out their phones and talk non-stop for a least an hour. I found that extremely annoying.

The Villages Florida

If you decide on the Autotrain, then it's the journey and the destination.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:44 AM
Default Once...again? NOPE!

Booked a sleeper....was bunk beds in a tiny closet-sized area... Top bunk put face within inches of the ceiling---could feel my breath.
Breakfast was a small box of cereal with 1/2 pint of tepid milk.

Any trip north to south or south to north will include one or two nights at a real motel.

Sadly, auto-train a disappointment.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM

Until we adopted our dog, we used the auto train going both ways. A few points (all before the pandemic)

1) The seats are very roomy so reclining all the way does not severely impact the person behind you. As a veteran overseas traveler, I would say the seats reminded me of the business class seats of 30 years ago.

2) You can bring food/wine/beer in a cooler with you for your consumption along the way. While dinner and breakfast used to be included in the price, I understand they now charge for the meals. The food is basic but certainly not gourmet.

3) I would avoid the seats at either end of the car as people do walk through the cars and you can hear the automatic doors opening and closing.

4) There are power outlets near the seats so you can charge your electronics.

Overall, I found the experience interesting. It saves the wear and tear of driving from Lorton, Va to Stanford.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

3 years ago I brought a car home from Florida to VA. 1st train ride. I got the small private room/sleeper. Brought my own booze (allowed) and enjoyed the ride and the food. Don't book too close to the front, engine/whistle noise. Definitely I would get a private room. General seating ( I took a walk back to look) is NOT for me. Looked like a ride on Greyhound on a rough day.

Life is an adventure. Worth a try. I would do it again if needed.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:15 AM

I've done it many times and enjoy it! Sure its a very long trip, minimum 18 hours if all goes well. I can do the drive in 12 hours and fly from TV to Reston Va door to door in 5.5 hours. Sure its very pricey especially if you get the sleeper car. But with all that said I enjoy it but that's me, I like trains and enjoy just looking out the window, surfing the web, taking naps, eating and drinking at the bar car or diner (pre-pandemic), bathroom and showers available.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Booked a sleeper....was bunk beds in a tiny closet-sized area... Top bunk put face within inches of the ceiling---could feel my breath.
Breakfast was a small box of cereal with 1/2 pint of tepid milk.

Any trip north to south or south to north will include one or two nights at a real motel.

Sadly, auto-train a disappointment.
That's why I didn't get a sleeper, the seats and the big windows was great entertainment, at least I thought so. Even though I found the people on the telephones annoying, I liked being in the general population, so to speak. Not isolated. Maybe that's why you didn't like the train. Plus I was in the Army, it seemed like an adventure.

I had both the cereal and scrambled eggs for breakfast. We had our choice of a couple of items. Which is normally more than I eat for breakfast. Maybe you came late and the eggs were gone.

If I did stay in a motel, South of the Border has always been my favorite place to stay, that's what Pedro Sez!!

Sleeper bunk, you should of taken the bottom.

The Villages Florida

In the 50's we traveled to Florida every summer until I was 9 years and then moved to Florida permanent. I remember when South of the Border was only a small motel. Now look!

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Here is South of the Border in the 50's.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I do not think you can take the auto train back home without a car.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 AM

Speaking of South of the Border we are really relieved when we finally drive past it since we get tired of seeing the signs "Pedro Sez" 100 miles before we get there. One year we got a kick out of the signs but that was the first couple of times.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyStevens View Post
Speaking of South of the Border we are really relieved when we finally drive past it since we get tired of seeing the signs "Pedro Sez" 100 miles before we get there. One year we got a kick out of the signs but that was the first couple of times.
I loved the billboards as a kid and I still love them, tells me how far I've come.

The Villages Florida

What I hate, or really laugh at are the JR Discount Cigarette signs since I quit 15 years ago and don't have any desire.

The Villages Florida

With cigarette sales down, they've added books, dolls, towels & jewelry.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We took the autotrain several times around 2013, never used a private room as the beds all appeared to be too short for me. I found the reclining chairs to be very comfortable. We brought 4 vehicles down to TV this we, far cheaper than auto transport. I would bring my own blanket and eye mask, as noted above there are lights that turn on and off with the automatic doors. When we went the food was good there was a selection for dinner. I understand there have been cutbacks in the amenties so ask questions and be prepared.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Have not driven past S of the Border for some years but heard it is now very run down.

Anyone gone there recently?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Driving from Va to Florida for cruises thought of taking auto train but given the time to get there and wait for train to leave and than delay at last stop on top of relatively slow travel thought driving was just easier.

Now that we are Floridians might take it next time going up to NY to visit relatives.
Closed Thread

Tags
train, house, autotrain, selling, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.