Outside Door Hardware and Salty Air

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2022, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Outside Door Hardware and Salty Air

My son wants to replace his outside door latches and handles.

At close inspection, he suspects the builder installed INTERIOR hardware and his EXTERIOR doors.
His house is 6 years and out of warranty.

He was told there is salt in our air from the Gulf or the ocean tarnishes our exterior
hardware. Is this possible?

Also, the hinges are exposed to the outside, where anyone could pop the hinges and take the doors off.

What do you think?
Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

At close inspection, he suspects the builder installed INTERIOR hardware and his EXTERIOR doors.

He was told there is salt in our air from the Gulf or the ocean tarnishes our exterior

Also, the hinges are exposed to the outside, where anyone could pop the hinges and take the doors off.

What do you think?
Not sure the point. Far as salt air from Ocean or gulf, we used to live around two miles from the ocean. Salt water is corrosive but we are not close to it. In terms of hardware there are different grades. Including items for use on a boat,

In terms of security, most of us do not think as a criminal. Someone braking into your home will not be concerned about damaging your property. That you just painted the trim the exact color etc they do not care. They want in and out. No need to use the door. Our windows are designed for easy access.

Far as exposed hinges, I would expect it is a screen door, most doors are sold prehung. It is an assembly. A door on the outside is or should be stronger than an inside door.
Again since a criminal is not concerned about damaging your property, a crowbar will have no trouble with the inch long screws into wood or pressboard.

I sleep well and have low cholesterol. Wife worries and has high cholesterol.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

I agree with above, you can replace hardware with outdoor hardware. I also agree you must be talking about a screen door or strom door, I have never seen the main door installed to open OUT, this might actually be against building codes, which would mean you should be able to have this fixed at not cost. let us know how you make out.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above, you can replace hardware with outdoor hardware. I also agree you must be talking about a screen door or strom door, I have never seen the main door installed to open OUT, this might actually be against building codes, which would mean you should be able to have this fixed at not cost. let us know how you make out.
There are 3 French doors opening to his pool area and all three have
exposed hinges on the outside with all doors open to the outside with dead bolt locks.

There a screen in encloser in bird cage, but that wouldn't stop any bulger.

It just seems strange that anyone could pop those pins, remove the door and walk in.
I know there's "theft prove hinges" with pins but I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Is this a Villages Home?

Just replace the door handle, it’s like $50 and takes 30 minutes.

He should have noticed the door hinges pre settlement - if they are not specifically made for the exterior (i.e. they can’t be removed) - that’s on him.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Outswing doors are not common around here . I have one on my enclosed lanai. On an outswing door the hinge pins are welded to the hinge on the top and can’t be popped out. To remove the door from the frame it has to be open and the screws removed. In Atlanta these were commonly used as garage entry or back door exiting to a deck
Old 05-27-2022, 05:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

What do you think?
See my reply to Tinker. Also interior hardware and exterior are different animals. There would be no key hole if interior. If his front door and garage entry doors are Kwikset locks he should replace the back ones with kwikset smart locks so they can use one key for all. Ps I’m calling BS on the salt air
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM
Platinum member

Ok MG you started the thread . You got answers now what?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

Thank you I had not thought of French doors.

Tags
hardware, door, doors, exterior, hinges

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.