Fig trees

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2023, 03:15 AM
Default Fig trees

Does anyone grow figs in Florida? I have several trees in NY and it’s a struggle with our cold winters. It seems the climate is more suited in Florida to grow fruiting fig trees
Old 03-27-2023, 03:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Not sure about their growing prospects, but one thing for sure, you would have to protect them really well from local wildlife, as the odds on getting to feast on your efforts would be slim.
Maybe in a large tub in lanai would be a good place to try.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:35 AM
Sage

Have never heard of anyone trying it. Might need hot and dry conditions rather than hot and very muggy. PLUS it might draw critters that would be more trouble-some. Maybe wait to talk to a horticulter person or Google might be your "friend".
Old 03-27-2023, 05:47 AM
Default Fig trees

I have a fig tree that produces lots of figs! It is hardy and prolific. Raccoons and Possum do like figs—-just put a loose net over, no problem. I keep the tree trimmed to a manageable size.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:41 AM

Growing Fig Trees in Florida
Old 03-27-2023, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I’m starting to think it’s not worth the trouble of attracting rodents and other pests.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrat2 View Post
Does anyone grow figs in Florida? I have several trees in NY and it’s a struggle with our cold winters. It seems the climate is more suited in Florida to grow fruiting fig trees
We have a fig tree which produces a lot of figs. We don't have any issues with wildlife getting to them. Get one and plant it or have it planted.... can't hurt.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:05 AM
Default Fig trees

Figs grow well here. My brother had a huge tree in Belleview. It produced hundreds of gigs per year. Location and soil are the keys. Check with a quality nursery. They can help you. Not Walmart.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2023, 06:08 AM

My parents had a fig tree here for many years and just cut it down last year. It thrived and produced tons of figs and they were delicious. The birds liked them too but there were so many figs that it didn't matter. They always had plenty and shared with us and all their neighbors as well. Plant one, you'll be happy.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
. From what I understand, there are only a few varieties that grow in Florida. These few are the only ones that can be pollinated here. There is a FB group on it
Old 03-28-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
We have a huge fig tree in our backyard. At the height of the fruit growing season, it will produce 20 figs per day, probably for 3 weeks straight. I'll eat 3-4 per day, bake a cake, make jam, freeze some and give them to family and neighbors. That also leaves a few for the squirrels, birds and ants to enjoy. Send me a PM and when the figs are ready, I'll give you my address and you can sample a few.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I have a fig tree for four years now and it is doing fine. Had to take three 5gallon pails of sand out and replace with soil in the beginning but after that everything was good. Keep tree branches off the ground never had any rats. Worst thing is if you miss picking overripe fruit you can attract little fruit flies.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Yes I do

I don't know the first thing about fig trees, but I have 1 growing on the side of my house. It produces figs at least twice a year. By the time I even notice either the birds or the bugs have had the first bite.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:12 AM

My neighbor has a couple fig trees which never get picked because it’s a rental and so the crows feast on them. What a mess
Old 03-28-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I have one in my backyard that I planted years ago. It has and still does produce plenty of fruit. The only problem I have is I have to put netting over it to keep the birds from getting at the fruit. I used to cover it from the frost but this last winter I went north for Christmas and left it uncovered and it is doing just fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, fig, grow, florida, suited

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.