July 1 Law

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2023, 05:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 535 Posts
Default July 1 Law

Bill 1718 comes into effect soon. Pool companies, landscaping companies, driveway pavers and even Villages Construction groups will have to use E-Verify or face stiff financial penalties and further prosecution. If you are thinking of one of these projects…get er done! Employers can be fined 1,000 dollars per worker, per day if they violate the new immigration law.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 06-02-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Bill 1718 comes into effect soon. Pool companies, landscaping companies, driveway pavers and even Villages Construction groups will have to use E-Verify or face stiff financial penalties and further prosecution. If you are thinking of one of these projects…get er done! Employers can be fined 1,000 dollars per worker, per day if they violate the new immigration law.
Why???? So you can hurry up and support illegal aliens?????
Old 06-02-2023, 05:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Why???? So you can hurry up and support illegal aliens?????
Not really, some are in the middle of completing projects without the realization of the new law that was signed in May. We hadn’t really thought of it because the norm has always been the other way. But, I certainly see your point😀

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 06-02-2023, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

Interesting to check your personal response:

A) Get the job finished before the labor pool shrinks and costs more
B) follow the rules first, and the system will work for everybody equally . .

Now if your response is an A response, think about why:
most likely its low cost and an acceptable small wait period due to abundant cheap labor
you personally feel good about getting good value for your dollar and in a reasonable time

Now if your response is a B response, think about why:
most likely its about the fairness, equality, country, control

Now thinks about why the two are in conflict in your mind:
When I apply for a management job, I have to provide legal identification and proof of eligibility to work
After I fill out the form, I feel its a pain in the ass, but some comfort that there are eligibility gates for people coming for your income.

But when I am paying out for the job, I prefer good value, cheap labor who performs well.
I don't care about the labor details of the people, as long as its cheap and well done.

Your typical human response is B is good for the country and the citizens, but A is good for me. .
The national economic strategy is best value for your hard earned money. . but does how enter your decision?

This is how most people think/feel. . but if you have to pick one, which do you pick?
everyone follows the rules, no special treatment or loopholes, or good value for your hard earned money, the cheaper the better no matter how its achieved?

if you take the time to really analyze the source of your thoughts and feelings,
they might well be in conflict as described above. . . which should make BOTH sides of your brain hurt

just food for thought about your social contract when buying services.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Interesting to check your personal response:

A) Get the job finished before the labor pool shrinks and costs more
B) follow the rules first, and the system will work for everybody equally . .
Or Option C

C) fix the legal immigration system so this class of workers can come into the country legally, based on the need in the country.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Or Option C

C) fix the legal immigration system so this class of workers can come into the country legally, based on the need in the country.
That requires answer B with central planning, ie, the CCP model, based upon the need of the country. Answer C is an avoidance of the question, with abstract goals, typical senior management answer where the solution and execution doesn't work. .

next
Old 06-02-2023, 06:40 AM
Sage

To circumvent vent the law, but not answering the question, my former HR Director wife's answer to Bill 1718 is to avoid contracting with companies and hire the illegal alien directly, paying with cash under the table, of course.

ymmv
Old 06-02-2023, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Note that the law will only apply to employers with 25 or more employees. I suspect that larger companies will circumvent the law by hiring smaller companies to do a lot of their work.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

We have a major problem getting people to work. So why don't we make it easy for these people to come into the country legally? They are willing to do the jobs that most Americans do not want to do. They pay taxes from their pay and when they buy stuff. MOST just want what we want, peace, safety and a place to raise a family without the fear of being killed.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,969 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
It affects employers with over 25 employees.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
We have a major problem getting people to work. So why don't we make it easy for these people to come into the country legally? They are willing to do the jobs that most Americans do not want to do. They pay taxes from their pay and when they buy stuff. MOST just want what we want, peace, safety and a place to raise a family without the fear of being killed.

This was clearly written a long time ago……..

The United States prides itself on being a nation of immigrants, and the country has a long history of successfully absorbing people from across the globe. The integration of immigrants and their children contributes to our economic vitality and our vibrant and ever changing culture.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I heard our new illegals aren't allowed to work for 1 year, we just take of them?
Old 06-02-2023, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have always wondered why The Villages uses contractors for much of the regular work - pool and landscape maintenance in particular.

How can it be cheaper, when each operation must employ dozens of people full time, to farm them out to third party companies?
Old 06-02-2023, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have always wondered why The Villages uses contractors for much of the regular work - pool and landscape maintenance in particular.

How can it be cheaper, when each operation must employ dozens of people full time, to farm them out to third party companies?
The Villages even hires a licensed electrical contractor to change the light bulbs. This could probably be done by one Villages employee.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-02-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage

I understand that an E-Verify check is easy and can be done in a few minutes. So, why would the law apply only to companies with 25 or more employees? Are they trying to discriminate against large companies? Or, are they encouraging small companies to violate the law by hiring illegals. It seems to defy logic.
Closed Thread

Tags
companies, prosecution, face, stiff, financial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.