Golf Cart Battery Golf Cart Battery - Talk of The Villages Florida

Golf Cart Battery

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-22-2026, 05:55 PM
Teleplayer Teleplayer is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default Golf Cart Battery

My golf cart battery has been showing a constant 14.7-14.9 volts (on the Striker Speedometer) until today, when I went to play golf, the cart would hesitate on start-up, sometimes seeing the voltage drop to 8-9 volts, and start up veeeery slowly before reaching normal speed while increasing to 11.7 volts when running at normal speed. At times a red light would flash in the upper right corner of the speedometer.

At the turn, I left my cart and rode with another player.

On the way home, there was less hesitation and the voltage was around 13-13.1.

Do I need a new battery? If so, where's the best place to buy one? Costco? Walmart, One of the auto supply places?

Thanks in advance.
  #2  
Old 09-22-2026, 06:13 PM
NoMo50 NoMo50 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1,022
Thanks: 46
Thanked 1,443 Times in 591 Posts
Default

You don't say how old your battery is. But...if you need a new one, the place to go is Rural King in Leesburg. You can get a new battery there for about $75.00 with a 5 year warranty. Their batteries are made by Exide.
  #3  
Old 09-22-2026, 07:11 PM
CarlR33 CarlR33 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Newell the place to be in the South
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 801
Thanked 1,321 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Most auto parts places can do a load check on the battery to see if it’s near the end of life. If the battery is just old then replace it. My wife’s car was nearing the end of life so pro active I stopped by and had it checked and sure enough it was near the end.
__________________
I will say the things that others are probably thinking but afraid to say.
  #4  
Old 09-22-2026, 07:47 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Batteries are typically good for about 4-6 years with frequent use or if it’s left on a trickle charger when not used for long periods of time. In the intense Florida heat in garages, they tend to last on the lower end of their expected life, especially if left for extended periods not hooked up to a trickle charger. As already stated, a load test would indicate if your battery needs replacement. I have one at our Villages home that you could borrow, but unfortunately we won’t be there for another month. A good battery should read about 12.6 standing volts (using a multi meter) and about 14.5 volts when the cart is running and getting a charge from the cart’s alternator. I’ve heard that rural king has good battery deals, but have never been there. Costco sells good quality interstate batteries at a very reasonable price. If your cart is a Yamaha, they sell a crap load of the batteries that fit them at a fraction of the price of Auto Parts stores. It’s best to call first to be sure they have them in stock because they fly off the shelves there.
  #5  
Old 09-22-2026, 08:27 PM
JD Tremor JD Tremor is online now
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 55
Thanks: 14
Thanked 147 Times in 35 Posts
Default

I skipped the good deals as wife and my carts were having battery issues periodically.... I put in a WattCycle 100ah smart mini LIFPO4 battery in each. You can monitor several parameters from the app. SOC, charging/discharging watts, time to dead, based on current use etc.
I like being able to monitor them. Not to mention they have a smaller form factor and are significantly lighter than the Group 24 batteries (making them easier to remove/replace if necessary). At slightly less than $200 they are about the same as a quality AGM group 24 battery.

Been using them for well over a year and they work like a charm. Also, the built in BMS (Battery Management System) allows you to actually turn off the battery from the app (both charging and discharging separately if you want) So when cart isn't being used for awhile, just turn off the battery with the app. Also the BMS prevents overcharging, as it will cut off the charging if the cart generator is providing too many volts (common in the Yamaha gas carts, I understand)

Not everyone's cup of tea, but we like them.
  #6  
Old 09-22-2026, 08:55 PM
CoachKandSportsguy CoachKandSportsguy is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marsh Bend
Posts: 4,549
Thanks: 668
Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default

My battery just died. Yamaha 5 year old battery, I charged it to 12.5 V, but with the battery disconnected, the battery wouldn't hold the voltage overnight, it lost 3/4 of a volt each night. . That means the battery is dead, can't hold a charge, time to replace.

And Yamaha batteries take tools to get out, loosening the heat shield, etc. .
  #7  
Old 09-22-2026, 09:04 PM
Teleplayer Teleplayer is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
My battery just died. Yamaha 5 year old battery, I charged it to 12.5 V, but with the battery disconnected, the battery wouldn't hold the voltage overnight, it lost 3/4 of a volt each night. . That means the battery is dead, can't hold a charge, time to replace.

And Yamaha batteries take tools to get out, loosening the heat shield, etc. .
My old man is a television repair man. He has an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!

-Jeff Spicoli
  #8  
Old 09-22-2026, 09:22 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
My battery just died. Yamaha 5 year old battery, I charged it to 12.5 V, but with the battery disconnected, the battery wouldn't hold the voltage overnight, it lost 3/4 of a volt each night. . That means the battery is dead, can't hold a charge, time to replace.

And Yamaha batteries take tools to get out, loosening the heat shield, etc. .
It’s a pain in the a$$ to swap out the battery in a Quiet tech versus an older Yamaha g29, which only takes about 5 minutes. The price of making the cart quieter I guess?
  #9  
Old 09-23-2026, 10:05 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 11,727
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9,041 Times in 3,299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
My golf cart battery has been showing a constant 14.7-14.9 volts (on the Striker Speedometer) until today, when I went to play golf, the cart would hesitate on start-up, sometimes seeing the voltage drop to 8-9 volts, and start up veeeery slowly before reaching normal speed while increasing to 11.7 volts when running at normal speed. At times a red light would flash in the upper right corner of the speedometer.

At the turn, I left my cart and rode with another player.

On the way home, there was less hesitation and the voltage was around 13-13.1.

Do I need a new battery? If so, where's the best place to buy one? Costco? Walmart, One of the auto supply places?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a bad, loose or corroded connection on the battery, the starter solenoid or the motor/generator. It could also be the early signs of a single cell failure in the battery. I would take out the existing battery to an auto parts store and ask them to test it, then you can make a decision on replacing the battery.
If the battery tests good, then you need to look at the starting solenoid and the started/generator brushes.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #10  
Old 09-23-2026, 12:08 PM
Win1894 Win1894 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 159
Thanks: 155
Thanked 101 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Batteries are typically good for about 4-6 years with frequent use or if it’s left on a trickle charger when not used for long periods of time. In the intense Florida heat in garages, they tend to last on the lower end of their expected life, especially if left for extended periods not hooked up to a trickle charger. As already stated, a load test would indicate if your battery needs replacement. I have one at our Villages home that you could borrow, but unfortunately we won’t be there for another month. A good battery should read about 12.6 standing volts (using a multi meter) and about 14.5 volts when the cart is running and getting a charge from the cart’s alternator. I’ve heard that rural king has good battery deals, but have never been there. Costco sells good quality interstate batteries at a very reasonable price. If your cart is a Yamaha, they sell a crap load of the batteries that fit them at a fraction of the price of Auto Parts stores. It’s best to call first to be sure they have them in stock because they fly off the shelves there.
Suggest not putting a battery on a trickle charger. Instead put it on a battery tender, not the same thing as a trickle charger.
  #11  
Old 09-23-2026, 02:07 PM
Teleplayer Teleplayer is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Sounds like a bad, loose or corroded connection on the battery, the starter solenoid or the motor/generator. It could also be the early signs of a single cell failure in the battery. I would take out the existing battery to an auto parts store and ask them to test it, then you can make a decision on replacing the battery.
If the battery tests good, then you need to look at the starting solenoid and the started/generator brushes.
Exactly what I was thinking. Except I didn't know the names of all of those other parts. The connection's are not loose, nor corroded.

Actually, what I was thinking was that it might not be the battery and it might be the starter (I have no idea where that is or how to test it). I lifted the seat, checked the connections, looked at some other things that the battery was connected to and decided, "Welp, I'm out!" Auto repair was never one of my strong suits.

I watched a video on how to remove the battery. To quote Dana Carvey as GWB, "Not gonna' Happen".

I called Todd Casey. He's coming by tomorrow.
  #12  
Old 09-23-2026, 02:08 PM
Teleplayer Teleplayer is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Aug 2026
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
Suggest not putting a battery on a trickle charger. Instead put it on a battery tender, not the same thing as a trickle charger.
I had a battery tender when I wasn't here full time.
  #13  
Old 09-23-2026, 02:14 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,705
Thanks: 3,297
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,922 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
My battery just died. Yamaha 5 year old battery, I charged it to 12.5 V, but with the battery disconnected, the battery wouldn't hold the voltage overnight, it lost 3/4 of a volt each night. . That means the battery is dead, can't hold a charge, time to replace.

And Yamaha batteries take tools to get out, loosening the heat shield, etc. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s a pain in the a$$ to swap out the battery in a Quiet tech versus an older Yamaha g29, which only takes about 5 minutes. The price of making the cart quieter I guess?
Mine died at just about 5 years also.

There should be a YouTube that show how to remove the battery by taking off the panel and sliding the battery to the front. Need to remove the clip for the Forward/Reverse lever then a few push pins and it should slide right out. Here is one video, use the alternate method starting at 6:34.

I made a mistake when I replaced mine and purchased the wrong one. Mine was a group 24 but I purchased a 24F instead. I won't make that mistake again.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 09-23-2026 at 02:22 PM.
  #14  
Old 09-23-2026, 07:37 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
Suggest not putting a battery on a trickle charger. Instead put it on a battery tender, not the same thing as a trickle charger.
A better tender is a trickle charger that has a sensor that suspends the charge when the battery is fully charged. We only use trickle chargers that have that technology built in.
  #15  
Old 09-23-2026, 07:49 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
At times a red light would flash in the upper right corner of the speedometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Sounds like a bad, loose or corroded connection on the battery, the starter solenoid or the motor/generator.
If the battery tests good, then you need to look at the starting solenoid and the started/generator brushes.
Depending on the sequence of the flashing light on the speedometer, it could indicate the source of the problem and very well be one of the issues listed by VT. Our Yamaha G29 had a 46 code (four long flashes followed by 6 fast flashes), which indicated a charging system or voltage supply problem. I changed out the starter/generator brushes and still got the code. Then I replaced the voltage regulator and problem solved.
Reply

Tags
cart, volts, golf, battery, speed


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.