Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coatings Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coatings - Talk of The Villages Florida

Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coatings

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-01-2026, 11:08 AM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,273
Thanks: 633
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coatings

Many Villagers are getting new cars and getting either ceramic coating and or paint protection film applied. Both of these coatings are not cheap and have their pro's and con's. The biggest pro for ceramic coating especially for use here in the Villages is to protect the paint finish from acidic bug droppings and making it easier to wash. Paint Protection Film is yet another step up being a thin, clear thermoplastic urethane layer applied to a vehicle's painted surfaces to shield against rock chips, scratches, and environmental damage. If you apply any of these coatings, contrary to popular thinking, they do need some maintenance or they will not last the many years claimed by their manufacturers.

When I recently purchased my Tesla Model-Y Juniper I shopped around to see where I could get these coatings applied. There are excellent shops in Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, and Leesburg but I found Polished to Perfection Auto Detailing and Ceramic Coatings right here in Wildwood, across from Brownwood. They have been in business for many years in Leesburg but have recently moved to Wildwood in the past couple of years.

The difference I found with this shop is althought their prices were competitive with most of the other shops for the same services, they perform the extra steps to make sure the result is as good as it can be. For example, the pre-wash and iron remover and pre-treating are extreemly important. You want to make sure paint correction is done, especially on a Tesla where the paint isn't always perfect, before applying any coatings. Also, if you are getting PPF, this shop will disassemble some of the trims and even the camera covers on the Tesla so they can wrap the film to get a better seal. Overall, many of the extra steps this shop takes contributes to a better result because nothing is 100% perfect so you want to get as close to perfect as you can. They also do ceramic window tinting and will install some after market upgrades such as the rear trunk spoiler and mud flaps on my Tesla so, you can get everything done at this local shop right here in the Villages.

Chais, the owner is also very easy to work with and he does everything he can to make sure you are happy with his work.

Needless to say, besides the great service done in a modern, clean shop at competitive prices, another strong motivator to using Polished to Perfection Auto Detailing and Ceramic Coatings is that they are local. So, if I ever have a problem or need something fixed or want periodic maintenance done, I don't have to travel far to get work done by of of the top detailing and coating shops here in Central Florida.

Just wanted to give them a recommendation in case others are looking for a premium shop to get this type of work done.

Last edited by jrref; 09-01-2026 at 11:16 AM.
  #2  
Old 09-01-2026, 11:22 AM
SoxOfRed SoxOfRed is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Oct 2024
Posts: 67
Thanks: 89
Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
...I found Polished to Perfection Auto Detailing and Ceramic Coatings right here in Wildwood, across from Brownwood...
Very helpful and thanks for the recommendation. We had a ceramic coating put on our car over three years ago and it still looks better than it looked from the factory.

Our car has a white interior so we also had ceramic protection on the interior faux leather surfaces. Has held up. The most I've ever had to do to clean up a spill was with water.

Last edited by SoxOfRed; 09-01-2026 at 11:32 AM.
  #3  
Old 09-01-2026, 11:24 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,093
Thanks: 3,625
Thanked 18,638 Times in 7,564 Posts
Default

My Ford SUV is 10 years old, I always park it in the garage, and I drive through the touchless $7 Sam's car wash about every 3 months or so. That's all I do. The paint finish looks almost like new. I don't see any need for a coating.
  #4  
Old 09-01-2026, 04:37 PM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,273
Thanks: 633
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My Ford SUV is 10 years old, I always park it in the garage, and I drive through the touchless $7 Sam's car wash about every 3 months or so. That's all I do. The paint finish looks almost like new. I don't see any need for a coating.
In your situation applying any coating would be useless because touchless car washes use harsh chemicals to clean without scrubbing. They rely on strong, highly alkaline soaps and detergents. These powerful chemicals can degrade or completely remove your car's protective wax, sealants, or ceramic coating layers over time. Even with the new paint coatings, these touchless washes eventually degrade the paint. Good thing you only use it every 3 months. When we have LoveBugs do you leave the bug stuff on the car until it's time for the 3 month wash?

But it's interesting you brought this up because when I came to the Villages I signed-up at one of those car washes on 7 mile drive where you pay one price monthly and you can get all the washes you want. Well, after a couple of months of that, there was visible damage to the paint on my Subaru. Luckily it was leased. No more car washes for me.

I understand not everyone in the Villages can wash their own car. I think the Villages Car wash you can get a hand-wash.
  #5  
Old 09-01-2026, 05:27 PM
Howdy Howdy is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2025
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 205 Times in 112 Posts
Default

[B]As an Ex Auto Damage Appraiser ( Liberty Mutual & USAA ) here is my opinion.

# 1 The $$$ Cost of Auto Film Protection depends on a few factors. How long will the owner keep the vehicle. Parking lot dings, accident ( Insurance coverage to replace the film ? )etc.

# 2 Automatic Car Wash ? The water used is " Re-Cycled " Brushless or Not __ It will overtime damage the finish.

# 3 Bottom line for me. Hand wash the vehicle. Every now and then use a high quality wax by hand.

# 4 Put two Vehicles together using my method vs film protection anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
  #6  
Old 09-01-2026, 07:40 PM
CarlR33 CarlR33 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Newell the place to be in the South
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 801
Thanked 1,321 Times in 697 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
[B]As an Ex Auto Damage Appraiser ( Liberty Mutual & USAA ) here is my opinion.

# 1 The $$$ Cost of Auto Film Protection depends on a few factors. How long will the owner keep the vehicle. Parking lot dings, accident ( Insurance coverage to replace the film ? )etc.

# 2 Automatic Car Wash ? The water used is " Re-Cycled " Brushless or Not __ It will overtime damage the finish.

# 3 Bottom line for me. Hand wash the vehicle. Every now and then use a high quality wax by hand.

# 4 Put two Vehicles together using my method vs film protection anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
YES, I have always said to #4. I just got a 24 used model Y with small rock dent in the hood at purchase. The last car was 16 years old and hand washing and spray wax did wonders, Maybe if you still lived up north with salt and stone but #4 would still apply.
__________________
I will say the things that others are probably thinking but afraid to say.
  #7  
Old 09-01-2026, 07:49 PM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,273
Thanks: 633
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Agreed with #4 but a good ceramic coating negates the need for periodic waxing, it's much easier to clean your car with it and It protects the finish from the love bugs better.

With my last car which was a Honda CRV I didn't get it ceramic coated and decided to use Turtle Wax Graphine spray coating. I would apply it every month or so after a wash. The result was the car looked like new after 3 1/2 years when I traded it in but it took a lot of effort every month polishing that car to keep it that way.

This time around with the Tesla, I decided to spend the money on ceramic coating so I could spend more time doing the things I like vs polishing my car.

Personal choice.
  #8  
Old 09-01-2026, 09:35 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,951
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5,143 Times in 1,796 Posts
Default

The last 2 new cars I purchased the dealer had already applied the ceramic coating as well as some other added goodies. When I made my offers on the cars I did not take into consideration any of those added items and ended up buying the cars at what I considered a fair price to all and got the goodies free.
  #9  
Old 09-02-2026, 05:02 AM
USOTR USOTR is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Sep 2024
Location: Northern Villages
Posts: 187
Thanks: 236
Thanked 178 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Dealers add these protective layers for one reason.. Added dealer profit. On a Tesla that has no dealership to force you into buying an add on, it is your choice. These expensive add on bring no value when you sell or trade the car in. Money down the drain..
  #10  
Old 09-02-2026, 05:41 AM
daca55's Avatar
daca55 daca55 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dover, NH, Village of Buttonwood
Posts: 508
Thanks: 35
Thanked 238 Times in 132 Posts
Default

What is the cost of ceramic coating on a midsize sedan?
  #11  
Old 09-02-2026, 06:03 AM
LauraJW LauraJW is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 200
Thanks: 38
Thanked 104 Times in 66 Posts
Default

I hadn’t thought of the interior. Is there a product you use or did you do it at the shop?
We only buy used cars and have used the after market products after every 3 hand washes. Easy breezy. Also have done full cars with the clay bars before we started this nd haven’t needed to do it since. Have had success with Rainx window washer fluid, easier for bugs and rain dispersion.
__________________
Laura and Michael new to DeLuna in Fall 2022
  #12  
Old 09-02-2026, 06:25 AM
gkwallgr gkwallgr is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Santo Domingo and MN
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the detailed thread starter. I started my search looking at each of the several Villages detailer web sites. My goal was to find a coatings guru, someone you could tell was passionate about their work and the nuances of coatings. I went with The Villages Auto Detail. Josh is “that guy” who loves the details of detailing, will come to your house, and is a true professional in every way. He made my Mercedes better than new.
  #13  
Old 09-02-2026, 06:46 AM
SoxOfRed SoxOfRed is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Oct 2024
Posts: 67
Thanks: 89
Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurawilcox View Post
I hadn’t thought of the interior. Is there a product you use or did you do it at the shop?
This was professionally applied by the detailer but the product is called Opti-Guard. I suspect there are others that do this job well but this is the info:
Opti-Guard Leather Ceramic Coating Non-Warranty
– Opti-Coat
  #14  
Old 09-02-2026, 06:47 AM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,273
Thanks: 633
Thanked 1,220 Times in 702 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
What is the cost of ceramic coating on a midsize sedan?
It's hard to judge pricing because it depends on the size of the car or truck and what you get done. Best to just go over to this place in Wildwood and they can give you an accurate estimate based on what you want done.
  #15  
Old 09-02-2026, 06:53 AM
Howdy Howdy is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2025
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 205 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
What is the cost of ceramic coating on a midsize sedan?
I will be surprised if you get an answer. Call a dealer. That said it is very expensive & adds zero value to the vehice,

What it does do as one poster said, it saves you as the owner Labor on Waxing/Polishing that's it.
Reply

Tags
coatings, shop, ceramic, paint, work


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.