Irrigation water increase Irrigation water increase - Talk of The Villages Florida

Irrigation water increase

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread Today, 10:28 AM
bhoward bhoward is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 73
Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default Irrigation water increase

Our water bill for September increased from 5,000 gallons to 30,500 gallons or more than $125.00. Did anyone else have this kind of significant increase? Everything seems fine with our sprinkling system. We even had the system turned off during several of the daily rains. I haven't found any neighbors with this problem. I can't call the Utility Customer Service because they have call overload.
  #2  
Unread Today, 10:56 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,717
Thanks: 3,304
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,926 Posts
Default

A 25,000 gallon increase is a suspiciously common occurrence.

You should absolutely check for leaks.

Then, I would call the utility company to see what they might do.

Finally, look on districtgov.org for the high usage exemption and consider whether you want to exercise that option.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #3  
Unread Today, 11:38 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,093
Thanks: 3,625
Thanked 18,638 Times in 7,564 Posts
Default

30,500 gallons of water in a month is about 40 gallons per hour, 24/7. That is enough water to fill a swimming pool. If you have a leak, it should be pretty obvious.
  #4  
Unread Today, 11:50 AM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 18,031
Thanks: 9,199
Thanked 7,525 Times in 4,002 Posts
Default

I don’t have Separate water supply, (so this may not help?). I would go to irrigation meter in yard see if the meter slowly running with system off? Then I would shut off valve before meter (if it has one which sure it has?) then I look at meter see if it’s slowly running? It shouldn’t be in both cases. The first will tell you if you have irrigation leak after meter. The second will tell you the meter will shut off counter if it was running is first place. After I determine there no leak pass meter, then I turn on each zone manually and check all popups and any drip lines if you have them? I would also listen and feel with my feet for mushy spots/ wet areas that should NOT be wet? Once you have verified you have no leaks and didn’t use extreme amount water then I make call. That way you can answer all the questions they have trying to blame it on leak. If you have leak before meter (at least in my district) it’s on them. 25000 number comes up quit frequently. I suspect it’s digital calculation problem or calibration problem?
Reply

Tags
system, increase, water, call, gallons


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.