Starlink Starlink - Talk of The Villages Florida

Starlink

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-26-2026, 07:44 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 7,052
Thanks: 1,779
Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Starlink

Anyone using Starlink internet?
  #2  
Old 09-26-2026, 10:23 AM
CarlR33 CarlR33 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Newell the place to be in the South
Posts: 1,858
Thanks: 802
Thanked 1,321 Times in 697 Posts
Default

I have seen mostly positive comments about it in the “internet” threads but I cannot find one specific discussion. We have it on our construction trailer at work with no issues. I remember others saying it’s nice since portable they take it on their RV when not at home, etc.
__________________
I will say the things that others are probably thinking but afraid to say.
  #3  
Old 09-26-2026, 10:26 AM
shut the front door shut the front door is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 315
Thanked 2,455 Times in 772 Posts
Default

I have it. Bought originally for the motorhome, but I liked it so much that I cancelled Xfinity and never looked back. My buffering issue is gone.
__________________
Reading is more important than posting.
  #4  
Old 09-26-2026, 11:36 AM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,950
Thanks: 4,360
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Anyone using Starlink internet?
We have never had starlink, but had satellite internet from Hughesnet for several years at our rural northern home before Comcast finally ran a cable down our road (they only agreed to do that because of state subsidies to get service built out to rural areas). Our experience with satellite internet was horrible, including being outrageously expensive, data capped, very slow and unreliable, and weather dependent. My understanding is that starlink satellites only orbit about 350 miles above earth, versus about 22,000 miles for older satellites. Supposedly, starlink technology is much faster and more reliable than what hughesnet provided. Not sure how the cost of starlink compares to other high speed internet options, or if it is data capped. Will be following this thread to learn more. If it is portable, it could possibly be a good option for snowflakes who could use one service at both homes?
  #5  
Old 09-28-2026, 09:18 AM
JGibson JGibson is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Paradise City
Posts: 901
Thanks: 1
Thanked 824 Times in 358 Posts
Default

The last I checked about 2 months ago there was a $500 demand surcharge for my area.
I’m not paying that but if they drop the surcharge I would consider it.
  #6  
Old 09-29-2026, 06:46 AM
KCornman KCornman is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Nov 2024
Posts: 59
Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Anyone using Starlink internet?
My friend has had it for about a year now and loves it. Says he pays around $60/M if I remember. He streams his TV off it and says it's without issue. The part he loves most, they have a motorhome and travel quite a bit, he has receiver in it so they can use it where ever they are, and they have full internet even while they are driving. In fact, that's actually the reason he went with the service.
  #7  
Old 09-29-2026, 06:55 AM
Caymus Caymus is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 23
Thanked 1,315 Times in 657 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We have never had starlink, but had satellite internet from Hughesnet for several years at our rural northern home before Comcast finally ran a cable down our road (they only agreed to do that because of state subsidies to get service built out to rural areas). Our experience with satellite internet was horrible, including being outrageously expensive, data capped, very slow and unreliable, and weather dependent. My understanding is that starlink satellites only orbit about 350 miles above earth, versus about 22,000 miles for older satellites. Supposedly, starlink technology is much faster and more reliable than what hughesnet provided. Not sure how the cost of starlink compares to other high speed internet options, or if it is data capped. Will be following this thread to learn more. If it is portable, it could possibly be a good option for snowflakes who could use one service at both homes?
Did Hughsnet use those large dishes that I used to see in the country?
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 7,052
Thanks: 1,779
Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCornman View Post
My friend has had it for about a year now and loves it. Says he pays around $60/M if I remember. He streams his TV off it and says it's without issue. The part he loves most, they have a motorhome and travel quite a bit, he has receiver in it so they can use it where ever they are, and they have full internet even while they are driving. In fact, that's actually the reason he went with the service.
I hear you can put it on hold when you aren't traveling at no cost.
  #9  
Old Today, 01:02 PM
UpsideDown UpsideDown is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2024
Posts: 20
Thanks: 6
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I hear you can put it on hold when you aren't traveling at no cost.
Yes. We do that as a standby internet. But if we used it all the time it was $120/month. It is $10/month for standby. The equipment and installation was not cheap, around $700.
Reply

Tags
starlink, internet


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.