Need sod for me and neighbors. Someone not Chessari. Need sod for me and neighbors. Someone not Chessari. - Talk of The Villages Florida

Need sod for me and neighbors. Someone not Chessari.

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-23-2026, 09:48 AM
JohnWW JohnWW is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Need sod for me and neighbors. Someone not Chessari.

I and two of my neighbors need a recommendation for sod work.

First, why I said "not Chessari". I saw great reviews on this forum for Chessari, so we decided to choose them. Called them on 9/9/26. They answered immediately and arranged for an estimate between 10 and 11 for 9/11. When 11 AM passed and Alec didn't show up, I called. Second call was answered. He was running 10 minutes late. About 20 minutes later, he arrived - a little late, no big deal. He looked at the work, all were small jobs and we wanted to combine them hoping for a discount for same location, same day, coordinating it at our end. Two of us got quotes and requests for a contract via email immediately. Third neighbor wasn't home and he didn't have her email. She called him on Tuesday 9/15, as of 9/23 he hasn't returned her call. I called on Thursday 9/17 at 2:48, 3:00 and 3:11, finally leaving a detailed message for a complicated situation of coordinating the job. As of 9/23, no phone call has been returned to me either. I tried calling them on 9/21 and 9/23, again, no answer. Alec seems to be thriving (he said he has three trucks doing work now) and apparently has no interest in our small jobs. It's great that he's doing so well and probably does great work. Obviously, we've all found this experience with Chessari Sod to be frustrating; but, as a responsible Villager, I felt I should share my experience, especially since all I've found on here are glowing reviews for Chessari Sod.

We're back to square 1 and need a good sod person who
1) Answers their phone
2) Will do small jobs
3) Has quality sod and the knowledge to do proper soil prep, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can match three frustrated neighbors with a good sod person?

Thanks!
  #2  
Old 09-23-2026, 04:22 PM
Pondboy Pondboy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Hammock @ Fenney
Posts: 524
Thanks: 70
Thanked 640 Times in 265 Posts
Default

You could try Lilly’s.

I’ve not used them but they do advertise a lot on this site.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	113462  
  #3  
Old 09-24-2026, 08:25 AM
Miboater Miboater is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Village of Hawkins
Posts: 319
Thanks: 14
Thanked 179 Times in 120 Posts
Default

I would recommend Outlook Lawn and Landscaping. They had a contract with my pool builder and did the sod and landscaping after the pool was completed and was happy with their work. I decided to replace my sod in my front lawn and had them do the work. I had an issue with the quality of the sod and the owner came out and agreed and replaced all the sod with no issues.

They are in Mt. Dora and their number is 352-223-4838.
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
kschwi kschwi is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 79
Thanks: 75
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
I would recommend Outlook Lawn and Landscaping. They had a contract with my pool builder and did the sod and landscaping after the pool was completed and was happy with their work. I decided to replace my sod in my front lawn and had them do the work. I had an issue with the quality of the sod and the owner came out and agreed and replaced all the sod with no issues.

They are in Mt. Dora and their number is 352-223-4838.
Did they work the soil before laying down the sod?
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Miboater Miboater is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Village of Hawkins
Posts: 319
Thanks: 14
Thanked 179 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwi View Post
Did they work the soil before laying down the sod?
They did level it out with rakes and then I had them put down a layer of peat moss. They said the peat moss is not needed but I read somewhere that it helps with the rooting. It did root quickly and established nicely.
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
HIgolfers HIgolfers is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 426
Thanks: 272
Thanked 230 Times in 128 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
They did level it out with rakes and then I had them put down a layer of peat moss. They said the peat moss is not needed but I read somewhere that it helps with the rooting. It did root quickly and established nicely.
We recently used New Beginnings for a small sod job in our front yard. Very happy with them. Provided an estimate and then did the job when promised. Highly recommend. 352-933-3041 or [email protected]
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
JohnWW JohnWW is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

We went with Alex H Landscaping. Communication was SO much better than Chessari. Came out on time, honored their price and used fresh cut sod. We had three small jobs: Me, my next door neighbor and the lady living kitty-corner to her. Alex was so flexible with dealing with that and offers a 90 day guarantee. You might find a slightly lower price with someone else, but in my opinion, it was worth it.
  #8  
Old Today, 05:13 AM
Sparky99 Sparky99 is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 100
Thanks: 7
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Lowe's or Home Depot.
  #9  
Old Today, 06:33 AM
SuzSmith SuzSmith is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 10
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default Oxford Lawn

We had ours done by Oxford Lawn.The owner was very responsive and the work was first rate. We had to go out of town right after sod was installed, so they had one of the crew come by and monitor our irrigation to make sure all was in order. Our lawn looks amazing. They've now done a couple of our neighbors, and everyone is pleased. 352-446-3497
  #10  
Old Today, 06:38 AM
rsmurano rsmurano is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1,124 Times in 587 Posts
Default

I had Chessari do my sod work, a large project 1st then the next year a much smaller 1, no problems at all using them.
All companies have to make sure it’s profitable for them, nobody should lose money. My smaller project, it was a more flexible schedule thing where they would get to me when they finished a bigger project and I would fill in with an hour or 2 worth of work
  #11  
Old Today, 08:51 AM
Packer Fan's Avatar
Packer Fan Packer Fan is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 841
Thanks: 484
Thanked 621 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Absolutely agree, you should not go with Cessari. They do not stand behind their work, and they don't call you back after the job is done. If you do have a problem, good luck getting a call back. It won't happen. They come in one day and strip, and they really don't rework the soil underneath. I had them lay down two yards of soil in an area, but that's all they did.

They did not really work the soil at all, and they did not really kill anything under the grass. I specifically had shown him an area where I had some Bermuda grass coming up that I wanted to replace. This 100 square foot area was only being replaced because of the Bermuda grass. They did nothing special in that area, and three weeks after the sod was laid, the Bermuda grass was back. I think I got to the point I was calling them every single day, by the time he called me back, it was past the warranty period. How convenient. They are cheap because they do a half-baked sod installation. Stay away
__________________
Packer Fan
Retired
Village of Hillsborough
FROG, 10 years in the Making
World Traveler
From Oak Creek, WI
  #12  
Old Today, 09:25 AM
kendi kendi is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 395
Thanked 731 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWW View Post
I and two of my neighbors need a recommendation for sod work.

First, why I said "not Chessari". I saw great reviews on this forum for Chessari, so we decided to choose them. Called them on 9/9/26. They answered immediately and arranged for an estimate between 10 and 11 for 9/11. When 11 AM passed and Alec didn't show up, I called. Second call was answered. He was running 10 minutes late. About 20 minutes later, he arrived - a little late, no big deal. He looked at the work, all were small jobs and we wanted to combine them hoping for a discount for same location, same day, coordinating it at our end. Two of us got quotes and requests for a contract via email immediately. Third neighbor wasn't home and he didn't have her email. She called him on Tuesday 9/15, as of 9/23 he hasn't returned her call. I called on Thursday 9/17 at 2:48, 3:00 and 3:11, finally leaving a detailed message for a complicated situation of coordinating the job. As of 9/23, no phone call has been returned to me either. I tried calling them on 9/21 and 9/23, again, no answer. Alec seems to be thriving (he said he has three trucks doing work now) and apparently has no interest in our small jobs. It's great that he's doing so well and probably does great work. Obviously, we've all found this experience with Chessari Sod to be frustrating; but, as a responsible Villager, I felt I should share my experience, especially since all I've found on here are glowing reviews for Chessari Sod.

We're back to square 1 and need a good sod person who
1) Answers their phone
2) Will do small jobs
3) Has quality sod and the knowledge to do proper soil prep, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can match three frustrated neighbors with a good sod person?

Thanks!
I had a bad experience with Chessari as well but it was with his mother. We had planned some major landscaping and sod. Communication was very poor and she never followed through with the timeline that she promised. She drew up diagrams that did not include my input because she did not read my communication to her. Nor did I get any of my questions answered. Because they gave good reviews I gave her the benefit of the doubt for 6 weeks then finally fired her. Makes me wonder if the good reviews are from family and friends
Reply

Tags
sod, chessari, called, work, jobs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.