I Live In a House of Lights I Live In a House of Lights - Talk of The Villages Florida

I Live In a House of Lights

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,067
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default I Live In a House of Lights

Couldn't sleep last night and got up around 3:30 a.m.
I never realized how we can navigate through our house
without turning on a light at night.

Then I realized:

Our bedroom has a glowing LED light clock.
We have a LED light in a rechargeable hair clipper.
There's a LED on our paper shredder in the closet.
Then I walk down the hallway and found another LED on our Eco bee thermostatic.
I walk in the kitchen, LED light clock in the microwave.
A LED clock on the stove.
A LED on the dishwasher to show it needs to be emptied.
A LED on a power strip for our laptop.
A LED with 8 blinking lights on our internet modem plugged into another power stripe.
Another LED clock next to the TV.
A standby CD player/recorder with, (you guess it), a LED.
Then I looked in the garage, my garage door has a LED.
There's two LEDs on each motion detector.
A freezer in the corner has a (yep) a LED.
A LED on the dash of my Toyota SUV.
Then there's the streetlights in front and back of the house.
The LED landscaping lights.

I was scared to look in the laundry room.

I have to ask, what the hell happen to those dark nights in Wisconsin
countryside?

Electric Company, your welcome.

Last edited by Michael G.; Yesterday at 10:21 AM.
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,138
Thanks: 3,634
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

All of the light bulbs in your house should be LEDs. They almost never burn out, they do not got hot, and they use about 17 percent of the electricity as incandescent bulbs. Note that, if you have an annoying LED light on an electronic device, you can buy blackout stickers from Amazon that will completely block out the LED light. They come in 50 percent and 100 percent blockout versions.
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
thelegges's Avatar
thelegges thelegges is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, TV in 2007
Posts: 2,985
Thanks: 18
Thanked 2,159 Times in 877 Posts
Default

OP you have too much light for a restful sleep. Only light available 10p-6a is the range/microwave, thermostat also on sleep mode unless tapped.
All Alexa are on sleep mode during that time, screens are dark. Rarely an alarm is set because automatic wake at 4a. However screen will do a slow sunrise for 15 minutes to alarm. Any light strips or modems not within view.

Any phones are sleep don’t disturb. Our LR switches have a pinpoint light, that you wouldn’t notice until foot away.

Sleep clinics routinely advise against any light form to acquire REM sleep.

45 years of call, never needed light source to get dressed, out the door in 5 minutes, never waking children.
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 18,045
Thanks: 9,207
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,005 Posts
Default

I’m surprised you’re not glowing green?????
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,067
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post

Any phones are sleep don’t disturb.

Terrible Idea if there's an emergency in the family

Last edited by Michael G.; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Caroline, Pennacamp, Fernandinia, Duval, Richmond
Posts: 11,067
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5,340 Times in 2,169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Trouble Idea if there's an emergency in the family
Phones can be programmed to accept certain numbers, they can light, vibrate, or chirp. We programmed only three, each sos has different vibrations, chirp or ring, know who is calling.

In fact all of our grands, kids sleep their phones for the same hours. It’s a family that call is their life, so whenever possible a solid sleep is important.

More than once someone had emergency, or surgeries, none of us bothered anyone until after the fact. Then an intelligent conversation can be had. Usually conference call so no repeat.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,076
Thanks: 201
Thanked 846 Times in 401 Posts
Default

We have at least 7 night lights in addition to the random LEDs
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,067
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,178 Posts
Default

My reason for posting this is not so much I didn't sleep but I think there are too many lights nationwide (LED's or not)
that is unnecessary when no is around to benefit from their purpose.

And yes, LED's have come a long way from earlier times.

Has anyone read the study on how big city and populated areas were the nighttime lights
are interfering with bird migration in many states?
  #9  
Old Today, 04:40 AM
GaryJPalys's Avatar
GaryJPalys GaryJPalys is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Dec 2025
Location: Manchester N.H.
Posts: 93
Thanks: 117
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Couldn't sleep last night and got up around 3:30 a.m.
I never realized how we can navigate through our house
without turning on a light at night.

Then I realized:

Our bedroom has a glowing LED light clock.
We have a LED light in a rechargeable hair clipper.
There's a LED on our paper shredder in the closet.
Then I walk down the hallway and found another LED on our Eco bee thermostatic.
I walk in the kitchen, LED light clock in the microwave.
A LED clock on the stove.
A LED on the dishwasher to show it needs to be emptied.
A LED on a power strip for our laptop.
A LED with 8 blinking lights on our internet modem plugged into another power stripe.
Another LED clock next to the TV.
A standby CD player/recorder with, (you guess it), a LED.
Then I looked in the garage, my garage door has a LED.
There's two LEDs on each motion detector.
A freezer in the corner has a (yep) a LED.
A LED on the dash of my Toyota SUV.
Then there's the streetlights in front and back of the house.
The LED landscaping lights.

I was scared to look in the laundry room.

I have to ask, what the hell happen to those dark nights in Wisconsin
countryside?

Electric Company, your welcome.
I have a night light plugged in in every room of my house, and I have a 10 room Victorian! I'm too old to fall down...
  #10  
Old Today, 05:12 AM
Sparky99 Sparky99 is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 100
Thanks: 7
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Electrical tape of all colors to cover the leds.
  #11  
Old Today, 07:17 AM
mraines mraines is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 518
Thanks: 1,010
Thanked 459 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Couldn't sleep last night and got up around 3:30 a.m.
I never realized how we can navigate through our house
without turning on a light at night.

Then I realized:

Our bedroom has a glowing LED light clock.
We have a LED light in a rechargeable hair clipper.
There's a LED on our paper shredder in the closet.
Then I walk down the hallway and found another LED on our Eco bee thermostatic.
I walk in the kitchen, LED light clock in the microwave.
A LED clock on the stove.
A LED on the dishwasher to show it needs to be emptied.
A LED on a power strip for our laptop.
A LED with 8 blinking lights on our internet modem plugged into another power stripe.
Another LED clock next to the TV.
A standby CD player/recorder with, (you guess it), a LED.
Then I looked in the garage, my garage door has a LED.
There's two LEDs on each motion detector.
A freezer in the corner has a (yep) a LED.
A LED on the dash of my Toyota SUV.
Then there's the streetlights in front and back of the house.
The LED landscaping lights.

I was scared to look in the laundry room.

I have to ask, what the hell happen to those dark nights in Wisconsin
countryside?

Electric Company, your welcome.
I bought one of those plug in insect catchers. You should see the light that gives off.
  #12  
Old Today, 07:18 AM
CarlR33 CarlR33 is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: Newell the place to be in the South
Posts: 1,872
Thanks: 804
Thanked 1,326 Times in 700 Posts
Default

I like our new LED motion sensor night lights not on until you move in the room.
__________________
I will say the things that others are probably thinking but afraid to say.
  #13  
Old Today, 07:29 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,138
Thanks: 3,634
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky99 View Post
Electrical tape of all colors to cover the leds.
See Post No. 2. Electrical tape may help, but if you want to completely block out the light, buy the 100 percent stickers from Amazon.
  #14  
Old Today, 08:02 AM
Jim1mack Jim1mack is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 213
Thanks: 28
Thanked 104 Times in 67 Posts
Default

SECO sends us an email every month breaking down usage by appliance and what not. There is always a $10-11 charge titled ‘Always On’. We scratched our heads trying to think of everything that’s always on. Clock on stove, microwave, coffee maker. Clocks in BR and LR. Modem. CO2 monitor (which happens to be in our BR). Two or three small indicator lights here and there. We started unplugging the coffee maker after use in the morning. Didn’t affect this charge.
  #15  
Old Today, 08:18 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,138
Thanks: 3,634
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1mack View Post
SECO sends us an email every month breaking down usage by appliance and what not. There is always a $10-11 charge titled ‘Always On’. We scratched our heads trying to think of everything that’s always on. Clock on stove, microwave, coffee maker. Clocks in BR and LR. Modem. CO2 monitor (which happens to be in our BR). Two or three small indicator lights here and there. We started unplugging the coffee maker after use in the morning. Didn’t affect this charge.
Some TVs and other electronics are always on, but there is a power saving setting. Personally, I totally ignore this setting.
Reply

Tags
led, clock, light, house, power


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.