How often do you wash you hair?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Veteran member
Default How often do you wash you hair?

I was at the salon and the hair stylist told me that I am washing my hair too often. I shampoo my hair every day because I have always had oily skin and hair. She told me that I need that oil in my hair and that I can just use water and a little conditioner in my hair to wash out the styling products that I use every day. She said that I only need to shampoo my hair 2 to 3 times a week. Has anyone ever heard this before? I feel like my hair will just look gross if I don't wash it!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: How often do you wash you hair?

It depends on how my long hair is. When it is long, I wash it less frequently because I can brush the oil through to the ends, which helps with dry and split ends. I will, however, wet it at least once a day. I don't put my regular conditioner on when I do this. Instead, I use a leave-in conditioner. So, long is 2-3 times weekly.

Short, it is daily. Since moving here, I've been known to shower 4 or 5 times a day. Being a creature of habit, I'll often wash my hair 2 or 3 times a day. That is definitely not good for the hair!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM

Sometimes I'll just wash the bangs and blow dry them, and then put in a styling lotion in the rest of the hair, so I can blow dry it and give it some volume, on the days I don't wash it. Probably depends on your hairstyle. I have a bob. I've found that after going through menopause (ugh, I hate that word LOL), my hair isn't as oily as it used to be.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Lil -- You just have to think of it as a pause in a merry-go-round of men. Sometimes a good thing. Actually, I preferred to just call menopause a living hell (once I found out I was going through it at 28).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

I have baby fine hair and used to wash it everyday. I, too, was told that every three days is best. What works for me is every other day.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Shirlee- my hair is baby fine too. So what do you do on the day you don't wash it? How do you get rid of the bedhead and restyle your hair?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Gold member

My dermatologist also told me not to wash my hair everyday. I do have dry scalp and hair so I usually wash it every 2-3 days. Sometimes it does depend on what I am doing. I am lucky that my hair pretty much stays the way I style it for that 2-3 days. It doesn't make much difference if it is long or short. The other thing I have to do is change around my hair products. I can't use the same one over and over but if I switch around a few different products then I don't have skin allergy problems.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM

I've also been told that washing your hair more than 3 times a week is not good! But if you're like me... I hate the feeling of greasy hair!

I've found another alternative and has helped quite a bit... just rub baby powder into the scalp and it will dessolve the grease so it looks like you're hairs not greasy, it also dissolves smell. Also put a small amount in your hand and flip your head over. Run it through your hair starting at your scalp. ... It really helps!

Just my suggestion

Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage

I dont have hair, I have frizz!!! I have tried every conditioner known to man or woman.

Needless to say I cant wash my hair daily or I would look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Any solutions to this problem would really be appreciated! :

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:41 PM

I wash my hair 1 or 2 times each day. It is baby fine and this is the only way to keep it looking good. Have been doing this for 40 years -- soooooooo

I surely do not want to end up looking like my icon.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 PM

That is such a cute picture!! It really makes me smile.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Gold member

Every other day whether it needs it or not : :
Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Having been a working hairstylist all of my adult life, I think you can shampoo your hair every day as long as you use good gentle products. And don't overdo with the heat styling tools.
Back in the old days when we shampooed once a week, we used Prell or other harsh shampoos to get all the oil, hairspray, and other gunk out. And still had to do 2 or 3 latherings.
Thank goodness the options are better now...

My hair is baby fine also, and for most of my adult life, I've shampooed it more than once a day.
Lately it's usually every other day, tho it never looks great the 2nd day.
But will probably be every day again once we are permanently in TV, as I plan to be sweating on the golf course!!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Sage

Minty,

Not sweating on my lanai belly dancing?????

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Any ideas/suggestions for improving the ugly gray frizzies? Is that why people color their hair? I've noticed it does seem to look better if not necessarily more natural. I think once a week is often enough to wash it but it's to cold at a toasty 68 degrees in the house up here in the northland during the winter time. Bottom line: hair looks awful after the first day or the first exercise sesson whichever comes first! >
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.