Dry, burning feeling

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Question Dry, burning feeling

Has anyone ever experienced a dry, burning feeling in their mouth? This has been going on with me for a couple of weeks. I don't whether to attribute it to hormones, allergies, etc. but it is getting very aggravating.
My lips and tongue always feel like they have just been burnt by drinking very hot coffee or tea. Weird and curious.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

sounds like it might be something similar to Thrush - an oral yeast infection. Try eating some form of yogurt for a few days and see if the symptoms go away.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapequeen View Post
Has anyone ever experienced a dry, burning feeling in their mouth? This has been going on with me for a couple of weeks. I don't whether to attribute it to hormones, allergies, etc. but it is getting very aggravating.
My lips and tongue always feel like they have just been burnt by drinking very hot coffee or tea. Weird and curious.

sounds like it could be.....
Burning Mouth Syndrome
What is burning mouth syndrome?
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth, lips or tongue without any clear reason. People with BMS often feel like they burned their mouth with a hot liquid. They may also have a dry or sore mouth, or a bitter or metallic taste in their mouth.

Both men and women can get BMS. But it is especially common in women during or after menopause.

Return to top

What causes BMS?
For many years, doctors thought psychological problems, like depression and anxiety, were the cause of BMS. Now it's thought that these problems may also result from BMS. Researchers now think that a problem in the nerves that control taste and pain in the tongue might cause BMS. Other possible causes of BMS include nutritional deficiencies, allergies, certain medications, certain medical conditions, hormonal changes during menopause and dry mouth.

How can my doctor tell if I have BMS?
There is no simple way to test for BMS. Your doctor may examine your mouth to look for what might be causing a burning feeling. Maybe your doctor will find such a problem; if the burning feeling doesn't go away after the problem is treated, you may have BMS.

How is BMS usually treated?
Medicines to treat BMS include tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline and benzodiazepines like clonazepam (brand name: Klonopin) or chlordiazepoxide (brand name: Librium). It is not clear why these medicines help. It may be that they change the taste system. Capsaicin (hot pepper) mouth rinses may also help some people with BMS.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Cool

Yikes! I think, based on what you ladies have written that my problem is either hormone related or it might have something to do with MS, which I deal with at various times.
Well thank you so much for your response. I hope noone has to ever deal with this themselves, it is very aggravating. Take care.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

I am on amtriptyline for some other condition, but since being on it I have not had BMS. I stopped using mint toothpaste and mint mouth rinses and for something reason this has helped also. Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapequeen View Post
Yikes! I think, based on what you ladies have written that my problem is either hormone related or it might have something to do with MS, which I deal with at various times.
Well thank you so much for your response. I hope noone has to ever deal with this themselves, it is very aggravating. Take care.
Have you thought of seeking medical advice from a Doctor??
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Have you thought of seeking medical advice from a Doctor??
Yes, I just thought I would get some input from some everyday folks first, if that's ok.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Hi, my name is Nancy. My friend, Brenda, has asked me to reply to you due to not being able to reply to your email. For some reason the site will not take her user name and password.

She has some of the same symptoms as you have and would like you to email her. Brenda's email is brenrick67@gmail.com
Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnancy1112 View Post
Hi, my name is Nancy. My friend, Brenda, has asked me to reply to you due to not being able to reply to your email. For some reason the site will not take her user name and password.

She has some of the same symptoms as you have and would like you to email her. Brenda's email is brenrick67@gmail.com
Thanks so much Nancy, I have contacted your friend Brenda.

Take care
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.