Ryder Cup

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default Ryder Cup

What was expected to be a closely contested Ryder Cup is turning into a route for the U.S. Right now we are up 10-4. The best the Europeans can do is 10-6 today. Of course, that's not a lock because that's the same score we were losing by at Brookline when we made that great comeback.Great golf by our guys so far!!

Last edited by BarryRX; 09-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
What was expected to be a closely contested Ryder Cup is turning into a route for the U.S. Right now we are up 10-4. The best the Europeans can do is 10-6 today. Of course, that's not a lock because that's the same score we were losing by at Brookline when we made that great comeback.Great golf by our guys so far!!
Medinah Country Club is about 10 miles from my house. The Ryder Cup has brought a lot of money to the Chicago area. Plus they got A+ weather this weekend. Go USA.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The Ryder Cup is the most exciting sporting event on the planet. I was at Brookline in 1999 and was standing about 100 yards from the green when Justin Leonard made that putt.
Even with a lopsided contest like this, you tend to hang on every shot and every putt.
I love the way Bubba Watson and Ian Poulter got the crowd to cheer while they were hitting.
Great fun.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Gold member

Ended up 10 - 6. Stricker lipped out a putt on the 18th which would have halved the match.

Unfortunately Tiger/Stricker haven't won one point!

Singles tomorrow and hopefully a quick wrap (just to get it done).
Old 09-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Poulter is a PUTTer

The intensity in his eyes looked similar to the OLD Tiger.....Fun to watch...
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Ended up 10 - 6. Stricker lipped out a putt on the 18th which would have halved the match.

Unfortunately Tiger/Stricker haven't won one point!

Singles tomorrow and hopefully a quick wrap (just to get it done).
Even though they fell just short of halving the match, Tiger and Stricker staged an amazing comeback from 4 down at the turn. It sure was a lot of fun to watch. Tiger can still get in the "zone" every now and then. I am also hoping for a quick wrap just so I can get out of the house!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage

Yes, Tiger can get in the zone every now and again which is pretty sad. A few years ago he was in the zone 24 hours a day. He really should stop messing with his swing and see someone like Bob Rotella to help him figure out how to think again. He seems to need nine holes to warm up and you just don't have that luxury in match play.
Woods and Stricker haven't won a point, but in all fairness to them, they ran into a buzzsaw in Nicolas Colsaerts Friday. The man made eight birdies and an eagle. How do you win against that? It is to their credit, especially Tiger's, that they were able to come back and almost get a half point on the final hole.
The other two matches, they just didn't play well enough, although as has been pointed out, they made a great comeback yesterday afternoon. But, again, in match play winning from behind is very difficult, especially when you are five down.
I was glad to see Capt. Love made the difficult choice to sit Tiger for the first time in his Ryder Cup career. I keep wondering why he kept the team of Woods and Stricker together seeing as how they have not done well historically. I know that they are good friends and are comfortable with one another, but they don't win. It's interesting that Olazabal changed some of his pairings around, but Love seemed to keep all of his teams together.
Then again, I don't know why I'm second guessing that in that the USA is up 10-6.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage

The singles matches look to be a real snooze fest. Tiger vs Molinari in the final match. Not only is this a boring pairing, but the matches should be decided by that time.
I don't see any matches that look like their going to be exciting. Bubba going off first will get the crowd going but he's up against Luke Donald who is, to say the least, not a very exciting personality and has also not played very well.
The rest of the matches look about the same, Poulter vs Simpson. Too bad they could have lined up Poulter and Watson.
Garcia vs Furyk? Now I love both of these guys, but Jim Furyk has had a lot of trouble closing the door lately and he is not the most exciting player to watch.
Don't get me wrong, I love all of these players and they are certainly the best in the world. I also feel that the Ryder Cup is the most exciting sporting event on the planet. I just think that it's too bad that they could have gotten the guys with the big personalities and fire playing against one another. Everyone was looking for the Tiger / Rory matchup and that's not going to happen. Even though Tiger hasn't played all that well this week, that would have been something that everyone would have wanted to watch.
I'd like to see a slight change in the rules. Right now, both captains set up their lineups without knowing each other's lineup. I would like to see the visiting captain have to post his lineup and the home captain be able to decide who he wants to play against who. I think that being able to decide to match up Watson against Poulter and Tiger against Rory and Bradley against Sergio would have made for some much more entertaining television.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold member

I thought, for sure, we would be seeing a Tiger vs. Rory match.
I really think this is what most fans would have wanted.

Two views - put Tiger last because he is "the best," OR it will be over by then?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage
Default McElroy almost late for tee time

followed by one of the pre-recorded ads for golf and he says "Get Golf Ready America"....giggle...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

Oh No!! This is starting to look like Brookline in reverse. Europe has won the 1st four matches to tie the Ryder Cup at 10-10. Then Justin Rose sinks a 70 foot putt to pull all square with Phil. This is getting good!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Platinum member

It's now 11-11 with the US leading 3 matches and Europe leading 3 matches. If it stays this way it will end 14-14 and Europe will retain the cup. A disaster in the making.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Platinum member

Furyk chokes again
Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Sage
Default This is too hard on this "ole girl"

I knew that it was going to get down to Tiger....He loves "The Spot Light"....Be a hero and sink that birdie putt Tiger!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I knew that it was going to get down to Tiger....He loves "The Spot Light"....Be a hero and sink that birdie putt Tiger!
He is the best America has to offer and he will win this match, but the Europeans beat us like we stole something today.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.