Instant Replay for Baseball?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage
Default Instant Replay for Baseball?

An informal poll of those who would like to see instant replay instituted in playoff baseball. technology today shows if a call was made right.

1. Allow each manager two calls during a game to be challenged.

One side says that arguing takes longer than showing a replay and making the right call or confirm they called it right.

Players should feel that they have worked all year long to be robbed of a game changing play that is not called right.

Joe Torre says life isn't perfect so baseball should stay the way it is.

Umpires don't want a ruling to be challenged as they feel they must maintain an aire of being right whether they were right or wrong.

Bud Selig has allowed home runs to be reviewed so why not a crucial play?

What is your opinion, allow instant replay or stay the same?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
An informal poll of those who would like to see instant replay instituted in playoff baseball. technology today shows if a call was made right.

1. Allow each manager two calls during a game to be challenged.

One side says that arguing takes longer than showing a replay and making the right call or confirm they called it right.

Players should feel that they have worked all year long to be robbed of a game changing play that is not called right.

Joe Torre says life isn't perfect so baseball should stay the way it is.

Umpires don't want a ruling to be challenged as they feel they must maintain an aire of being right whether they were right or wrong.

Bud Selig has allowed home runs to be reviewed so why not a crucial play?

What is your opinion, allow instant replay or stay the same?
I agree! That blown call in the Yankee Detroit game at 2nd base was a perfect example. The guy was out by 5 feet. It would have been quicker to review the play then to watch Girardi argue the call for 5 minutes.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage

As a Red Sox fan, it is difficult to even think about baseball , but I would be in favor of reviews for certain things.

The details can be haggled over so it does not affect the game, but in the end I would rather have a call be right than have a team lose out because of a blown call. Especially in the playoffs where every play can be critical.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Gold member

Guess I am more of a traditionalist.

My theory is that if we start this now - pretty soon there will be "chips" in the ball, home plate and uniforms etc. calling balls & strikes. I might be exaggerating but I like the old way.

I can certainly see the reasoning though !
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Sage

Baseball is one of the only sports I can think of that one offical, home plate umpire, can decide the outcome of the game before it begins. You can't convince me with the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake that many are not payed off. Replay on every pitch would eliminate that. It would only take 2 seconds.
How about strike zone. It was 8 inches outside and he called it a strike but if the umpire is consistent then it is OK. BS... Isn't there rules that define the strike zone? Why even have a plate to pitch over if the umpire can decied what is a strike or not?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Sage
Default Imho

Let me clarify. I didn't mean to include balls and strikes into the instant replay.

I meant for example, if one team is winning 1 to 0, and the other team has bases loaded with two outs and the batter hits a slow grounder to shortstop. The runner is called out at first, a replay could show he was safe and the game is tied. Who's to say what the next batter will do especially if this happens in the late innings. It could change the outcome of the game and the play will be called right.

It's been the history of baseball that after an umpire makes a call, whether he is right or wrong, no amount of arguing will change that call. I don't think it's fair to the players who have worked all year long to be denied a fair chance at winning.

I am a traditionalists but changes have been made to the game. The DH in the American League and 162 games make a season instead of 154. I personally feel these changes should be incorporated without being intrusive as some games take too long to finish hence only instant replay only in the playoffs.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Nooooooo! Instant replay IMHO has ruined the enjoyment of the NFL. Leave baseball alone!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Platinum member

I'm a long time baseball fan, and I think the most important thing is to get the call right. I'd say have a Overseeing Umpire in the press box with an instant replay and if the manager asks for a review, they give 30 seconds or whatever it takes to get the call right. Does this slow the game? Probably. But getting it right is more important. No review on balls and strikes but any review on any judgement calls in the field, including homeruns, fouls, safe/out, balk, catch/trap/etc. The OU could overrule the field umps if a challenge is made.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm a long time baseball fan, and I think the most important thing is to get the call right. I'd say have a Overseeing Umpire in the press box with an instant replay and if the manager asks for a review, they give 30 seconds or whatever it takes to get the call right. Does this slow the game? Probably. But getting it right is more important. No review on balls and strikes but any review on any judgement calls in the field, including homeruns, fouls, safe/out, balk, catch/trap/etc. The OU could overrule the field umps if a challenge is made.
but only two challenges per game by either manager.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM

I'm with cedwards, get the call right.

I favor assigning another umpire to be up in a booth to monitor every close call/controversial play, except balls/strikes. If the ump sees an obvious blown call (irrefutable visual evidence, a la NFL), he would radio down to the home plate ump.

No challenges given to managers, though. Let the professional umpiring crew (wi the video replay ump in the booth) do their job to attempt to get all calls correct.

And as far as instant replay taking too much time or slowing down the game, a review would certainly take a lot less time than suffering through another inane on-field tantrum thrown by a manager. Reply would probably would actually speed up the game.
manager
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.