Kickoff from the 20?

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Kickoff from the 20?

Who'd be in favor of seeing the NFL move the kickoff spot back to the 20 yard line? It seems that unless there is bad weather every kick goes either deep into the end zone or beyond the end zone. I'd prefer to see more run backs.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

I love the game but have to admit that with the unprecedented speed, size and strength of players today, runbacks are huge injury risks. Put the ball on the 20 and every kick will be returned. Teams will come up with ways of raising the brutality to all new levels.

I'd rather the NFL experimented with eliminating kickoffs and having teams simply start from a particular yardline. How about a choice? Start at the 30 or take the kickoff.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Gold member
Default Another suggestion

The NFL could take a cue from th XFL and place the ball on the 50 yd. line and have each team on either side of the ball; and have the special teams run to the ball on signal and then fight over possession.
Vince McMahon could oversee these plays with sidekick Hulk Hogan.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold member

It's already too easy to score.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
I love the game but have to admit that with the unprecedented speed, size and strength of players today, runbacks are huge injury risks. Put the ball on the 20 and every kick will be returned. Teams will come up with ways of raising the brutality to all new levels.

I'd rather the NFL experimented with eliminating kickoffs and having teams simply start from a particular yardline. How about a choice? Start at the 30 or take the kickoff.
If you eliminate kickoff returns, how about punt returns. To me both are part of the excitement of the game. What's next? flag football?? I don't have a problem of moving the ball back another 10 yards.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Sage

Although I would like more kickoff returns, the risk of injury is much greater. moving the ball back to the 20 is a little extreme and would automatically give the offense good field position.

Moving it back five yards would return it back to it's original kick-off spot. The powers that be in the NFL seem to want to keep it as is.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Gold member

Roger Goodell mulls idea of eliminating NFL kickoffs - NFL.com
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post

That would pretty much eliminate kickoffs. I can't imagine a team given the option of the ball on the 30 or a kickoff taking the kickoff. What happens to ball kicked into or over the end zone? Do they still come out to the 20?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Here is the "outside the box" solution the NFL is considering to eliminate the devastating injuries that occur on kick returns.
After a team scores, they will keep the ball. The ball is placed on their own 30 yard line and it is 4th down and 15. They can either go for it or punt. There are statistically far fewer injuries on punt returns then there are on kickoffs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.