Laminate floors

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Laminate floors

A person who shall remain nameless wants a home with laminate floors even though this person's dogs have wet on and ruined the floor in their current home. Is there a sealer of some sort that can be applied to laminate floors to prevent their ruination?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb
Default Cleaning laminate floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
A person who shall remain nameless wants a home with laminate floors even though this person's dogs have wet on and ruined the floor in their current home. Is there a sealer of some sort that can be applied to laminate floors to prevent their ruination?
What is the best way to clean them
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Platinum member

We just recently had laminate flooring installed. The sales person and the installer told us to never use water to clean the floors. If the dogs have an accident, get it up ASAP. There is a waxy substance that is on the edges that will help prevent liquid from soaking in. So far our girls have not had any accidents. We also have an extra box of the flooring just in case we should ever have to have some of the pieces replaced. That will not be a simple task, but at least if we have to do it, the pieces will match up.

There was a post here on TOTV yesterday about a vinyl type of flooring that looks like wood which might work better for your nameless person.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Sage

If some form of moisture, consider vinyl plank, or engineered wood. Both are quite resistant to water, and the better engineered wood products can be refinished.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Sage

First I think with real wood you don't have that issue, after installing it is sanded and sealed, then finished.

But no matter what FIRST test the concrete moisture content, most installers skip this step, a $15 test kit.

Then wonder why there R failures later.

We rented a home in Sept with the vinyl plank floor, IMO it was crappy feeling under foot and look about as bad.
Also noisy under foot.
But dog proof.

I'll stick with real wood.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

...probably not helpful to you but tile would be water-proof.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Sage
Default i can just imagine

Quote:
this post made me smile as i can just imagine the dialogue between the poster and the nameless person concerning this issue....ain't love grand!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
There is no sealer made specifically to waterproof the seams of laminate planking.
At one point, I did look into square, interlocking laminate tiles that were designed for laundry rooms and bathrooms. These have a deeper grooved lock-type channel than laminate planking does and are better at resisting water, but they do not look like wood, and they are not soft underfoot. The price point is slightly higher than laminate planking.
Another alternative is sheet vinyl that looks like wood, but that is VERY soft and can dent or gouge easily. I wouldn't place heavy furniture on it.

Ceramic tile with properly sealed grout (that is re-sealed periodically) would be the most impervious to animal urine.
Can the puppies be monitored or behavior modified?

That would seem to be the best solution in the long run, then you could have whatever the budget and desire indicates, with enjoyment.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Sage

Ceramic tile with epoxy grout will never need to be sealed, and will resist stains.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.