Blind Dates !

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Sage
Default Re: Blind Dates !

Oh Barb, Great minds think alike!! I thought briefly about going there, but refrained.
Chacha..I think you have to look at the way a man treats his Mother. If he is good to her, He will generally be good to you. IMHO. Hope to see you at Crispers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191
I've never had a blind date. All my dates had good eyesight.

OMG did I really, really say that? Am sooo ashamed..... :redface: :redface:

That definitely is a GROANER, yet I couldn't resist sharing with you. : : :
Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Dancing Thyme

Being the neighborhood spinster!!! I didn't get married until I was 37, now in retrospect, I probably should NEVER have gotten married!! I'm disgressing...now I sound like B3

However, because I was available, to put it nicely, I was always the one that girlfriends fixed me up with their boyfriends best friends... Probably been on 20 or more blind dates, some good, some bad. But some fun experiences, some day, when we have a jammie party I'll share the stories with you.

CIB, your not alone. I was around 17 and in a drive in movie and hated this guy, so I made believe I was going to the ladies room, and walked out of the drive in along Bruckner Blvd. to the nearest diner where I met a great guy and he took me home. Boy was my mother confused when she saw us walk in the door...

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Veteran member

OMG..... Kathie..... thanks for sharing that tidbit! Now I don't feel so awfully guilty..... well, I still feel guilty, but we can both chalk it up to our youth! Believe it or not, I had very little dating experience when I got married at age 19. (But that's another topic!)

My last blind date was in 1980. There was a local radio program where anyone could say "My name is so&so, I live in wherever, and my phone number is ###" Well, this nice sounding gent gave his number and I called him. I arranged for us to meet outside my place of employment (the police station) and he took me to a very expensive dinner at a fancy restaurant. He was a very big spender, we went on several nice trips together; all in all it was a fun two years.

I met my current fella in 1990 and we're still friends; but like I told Bright...... he does not want to relocate back to Florida so I guess I'll be on my own when that time comes.

No more blind dates for me, though 1rnfl
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 AM

Coney: You sure do start great threads. I (divorced in '05) recently did the internet thing. What a total waste of time. Maybe it's me - most definately is me - but guys are never honest in describing their looks. Cracks me up....... Anyway, went on a coffee date - the only way to do it because you don't have to be tortured through a long expensive dinner if its not going to work out - and it became apparent to me very quickly that the guy HATED WOMAN. He spent the first 15 minutes telling me how woman just want money and power over men. He was really getting angry. I politely left. Said, "You know ______, I don't think this is going to work out. Thanks for the coffee. Bye." Geeeeeeez, not going there ever again. Please keep the stories coming.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
CIB, your not alone. I was around 17 and in a drive in movie and hated this guy, so I made believe I was going to the ladies room, and walked out of the drive in along Bruckner Blvd. to the nearest diner where I met a great guy and he took me home. Boy was my mother confused when she saw us walk in the door...
KathieI,

Whitestone Drive-in? Been out of NY for 25 years but visited that drive-in many times during the 60's. Cannot remember if it was near Bruckner Blvd.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl008
Coney: You sure do start great threads. I (divorced in '05) recently did the internet thing. What a total waste of time. Maybe it's me - most definately is me - but guys are never honest in describing their looks. Cracks me up....... Anyway, went on a coffee date - the only way to do it because you don't have to be tortured through a long expensive dinner if its not going to work out - and it became apparent to me very quickly that the guy HATED WOMAN. He spent the first 15 minutes telling me how woman just want money and power over men. He was really getting angry. I politely left. Said, "You know ______, I don't think this is going to work out. Thanks for the coffee. Bye." Geeeeeeez, not going there ever again. Please keep the stories coming.
Hi Jerseygirl008,
Now THAT'S funny.... not laughing at you but WITH you. Not every guy is a jerk like that.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

Jerseygirl, I agree that a date for coffee is the only way to do a "blind date"... IF one ever wants to go on a blind date. Fast escape if it doesn't work out.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Default Blind date

Hi Everyone,
Guess I 've had my share of blind dates etc.I have to say I love meeting new people so I would say they were pretty good but didn't meet mister wright. Don't give up girls dating can be fun. Being alone does suck, there is so much to enjoy if you have someone to share it with.
Hope to meet you ladies soon.
Jmemc
Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Default Blind dates

I always counted on blind dates.

I figured the worse their vision, the better I looked.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Blind dates,, I remember a couple of real bad ones. Having said that sometimes you have to remember a lesson I learned as a young treasure Scuba diver. When you jump into the ocean you never know what you might bring up with you.

Having said that my wife of 36 years and I met on a blind date.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Eternal Member
Default Runaway Blind Dates

I only had two blind dates only as a favor to girlfriends.
A freshman in an all girls college, I went to a university for a dance to meet the friend of my girlfriend's date. I had been with him at a frat party
for about 3 hours, not impressed and decided I had to leave. Luckily a boy I knew from home came by the frat party. Finding out he did not have
a date, he kindly drove me back to my school 3 hours away.

As a divorcee, my girlfriend wanted me to join her date and his friend for dinner. We were in one of my favorite restaurants and during cocktails,
I decided I did not like him at all. I called a taxi from the restroom and left by the side door for home.
Fortunately, both my girlfriends laughed about it.

Boomer, I am an English major, but I don't summarize well. Too much information. Help!!!!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Cool Islandgal...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
As a divorcee, my girlfriend wanted me to join her date and his friend for dinner. We were in one of my favorite restaurants and during cocktails,
I decided I did not like him at all. I called a taxi from the restroom and left by the side door for home.
Fortunately, both my girlfriends laughed about it.
LOL..... I did the same thing (see my post #5) 52 years ago!

P.S. Glad to see this old thread become alive again
Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 PM

I never had a blind date experience when I was younger but after 3 years of being alone after my husband's death, I was convinced by a friend to go out with her husbands co-worker - believe me, it took alot of convincing!! The date was nice (he had done alot of planning to make sure it was nice) and he was a fun guy but no real chemistry between us - I have to say though it was worth trying it since we wound up with a sort of friendship for the last two years...nothing really deep but an occasional phone call just to see how things are going. I have to admit though that I haven't said yes to any more blind dates since then so my experience level is really low..

I have been told many times since becoming a widow that sometimes we have to get out of our comfort zone and try something different -- its not always easy for me but I have spoken to some people here in the Villages that have really done just that and its worked for them.... who knows maybe they're right - just go for it!!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Lightbulb this Blind date thing

Looks like a rather old topic but I found it interesting. Being divorced now for 5 years I have had a number of blind dates. Setup by friends and the outcome of being on eharmony for 6 months.. Blind dates do not scare me and everyone I was on I at least had a conversation - beats being alone. I've met some scary women; and some very mean, some lonely and some very nice ladies but not a partner for me. The crazy one was funny - we met at a neutral site - she drove and I drove. She was fun to talk to but drank alittle to much. I offered to leave and meet her at another location closer to her home so she would not have far to drive home after the date. Well this crazy lady was fun but carried every weapon a person could carry. More knifes, brass knuckles, mace, pepper spray than any robber would have. Well we had fun, we danced, drank alittle more and even kissed and acted like younger adults for awhile. She was crazy and looking for a partner. Well she was not for me but we did part that night on good terms. I just made a bad date a fun night.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I never had a blind date experience when I was younger but after 3 years of being alone after my husband's death, I was convinced by a friend to go out with her husbands co-worker - believe me, it took alot of convincing!! The date was nice (he had done alot of planning to make sure it was nice) and he was a fun guy but no real chemistry between us - I have to say though it was worth trying it since we wound up with a sort of friendship for the last two years...nothing really deep but an occasional phone call just to see how things are going. I have to admit though that I haven't said yes to any more blind dates since then so my experience level is really low..

I have been told many times since becoming a widow that sometimes we have to get out of our comfort zone and try something different -- its not always easy for me but I have spoken to some people here in the Villages that have really done just that and its worked for them.... who knows maybe they're right - just go for it!!

Angel,

I have never had a blind date - nope, never. When I was young and single it was due to lack of confidence that this guy would like me - and after my divorce, I met my wonderful husband a few months after. Believe me, I do count my blessings for that.

There is an expression I use with my business customers a lot - but it works with any situations. "If you continue doing things as you always have, why would you expect the results to change?" Leaving a comfort zone is tough - but can be done gradually. I think one of the best things about TV is that there is so much to all the time. You have a great set of girlfriends - let them help you try something new?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.