Blind Dates !

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Platinum member

Never had any blind dates. But, I'd like to expand a little on the postings suggesting stepping out of your comfort zone.

Several years ago, a neighbor on my street in St. Louis lost her husband of more than 40 years. She carried on for three-four years as a personable widow, a friend to all. Then, at one of the street's annual adults-only party, she introduced her new husband, of one week! We were all blown away!

Especially when we learned that they had been in elementary and middle schools together, some 55-60 years before, then had run across each other at a church function.

Delightful story. And, that's more than ten years ago, they're still like love-birds.

Me, I'm still in my comfort zone after losing my wife of 40+ years almost ten years ago. But, I like my comfort zone, thank you very much!

SWR
Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Veteran member
Default nice story !

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Never had any blind dates. But, I'd like to expand a little on the postings suggesting stepping out of your comfort zone.

Several years ago, a neighbor on my street in St. Louis lost her husband of more than 40 years. She carried on for three-four years as a personable widow, a friend to all. Then, at one of the street's annual adults-only party, she introduced her new husband, of one week! We were all blown away!

Especially when we learned that they had been in elementary and middle schools together, some 55-60 years before, then had run across each other at a church function.

Delightful story. And, that's more than ten years ago, they're still like love-birds.

Me, I'm still in my comfort zone after losing my wife of 40+ years almost ten years ago. But, I like my comfort zone, thank you very much!

SWR
I agree with you SWR ~ if I ever get to TV, it would be interesting to see if I'd step out of my comfort zone and participate ~ cuz partying crowds are way out of my zone
Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 PM

I met my husband on a blind date, but we weren't each other's date! Our mutual friends, with their infinite wisdom, did not think we were suited for each other and fixed us up with other people and we all went on a triple date. We have no idea where those friends are today, but we just celebrated 38 years of marriage!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to happylady

I have been a widow for 19 years. It is hard to meet nice people no matter how old you are. I enjoy traveling and I go on a lot of trips through AAA. Good luck. Fran
Old 08-29-2012, 02:48 PM

oh and did you go necking under the boardwalk lol
Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Nice story...I lived in MA all my life, took care of an elderly family friend last year,93, like me no immediate family; he passed in February.

It was then that I decided I decided I was going to go live in TV, working my way down there from MA visiting dance studio friends I have.

I understand the comfort zone, stay in it as long as you need to or want to. I decided now was the time to leave mine
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Eternal Member

Repeat after me....I will never date another crazy person from Match.com...I will never date another crazy person from Match.com....I will never date another crazy person from Match.com...if I go back on this pledge...someone...please...shoot...me - she said she was a tall Greek girl...I said I was short but we might have a future if she liked to slow dance..especially if she wore heels...theGreek thing, I didn't get...I don't identify myself by ethnic baggage..but, to each their own...what I forgot is that the Greeks defined comedy as the absence of tragedy...sense of humor...totally missing...she kept saying I was gay...how do you argue with this short of sounding like a homophobe? I said, "Take me home and cure me"...she didn't get the joke...she said my car (a RAV4) was "gay"..I said I never looked under the hood, I hired out for that and I was OK with whatever the mechanic and car had going as long as the car ran in the morning...I will be renting a home all of October in the Villages and bringing my checkbook...wish me luck.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Sage
Default Gee Whiz!

that was a very funny post! i am sure we can all relate! better luck when you arrive here
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Sage
Smile

When I was a young lad I set up my cousin to go on a blind date. He had been dating a girl who turned out to be mean (treated him poorly). He had broken up with her but said, "If I don't find another girl soon, I'll end up going back to her." I was dating a nice girl and he wanted to know if she had a sister. I said, "yes, and she doesn't have a boy friend." So, I set things up for a double date.

The bottom line: They liked each other, got married and raised 3 great kids.

As for myself, I don't recall ever going on a blind date.

Oops, yes, I did go on a blind date but nothing ever came of it. She was not a talker and I am not either, so it was a job trying to keep things going. Have you ever tried to have a conversation when the other person never says anything? Also, she was a drinker and I am not. So we were not a good match.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.