Calling All Single Peeps .........

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Calling All Single Peeps .........

Admin has restored the Singles Forum so I was thinking........ so we don't get booted off again for lack of participation ...... in an effort to stimulate some more forum participation - how 'bout if each of us starts a new topic relating to single life in TV -- or single life in general -- support -- club activities -- etc. ;D
Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Calling All Single Peeps .........

CIBabe
Good suggestion. Here's hoping that some of the Singles/Unattached/whatevers take you up on the offer. Although I am not, yet, a Villager (will be soon, though), it is obvious to me from visiting TV that there are enough of you (us) to have some interesting banter on this forum. The Villages Singles Club has a nice website (not updated too often) and their activities appear to be fun-filled. Their "Sunshine Outreach" branch is something that I would certainly participate in when I relocate to TV. Check out http://www.thevillagessinglesclub.org and then view the "Committees" link.

BTW - what Bronx HS?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

tkret........ thanks for your support & suggestion.

I'm also a "wannabee" but not having any luck with my Oregon home/property on the market. However, when the time comes for me to be able to live in TV..... I would feel so much more comfortable having already made contact with and knowing exactly what my options are for making new friends. It's always daunting when moving to a new place and knowing nobody, especially as a single person without the support of a spouse.

I've already learned from this forum about the "Single Sports Social Womens Club" which sounds like a great outlet for activities and new friends, not just singles.

So, peeps......... start a new topic in this Singles Forum to keep it going ;D

P.S. Graduated from Wm. H. Taft HS in '56
Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 PM

I to am a wannabee,soon I hope I am retiring, this Saturday the 28 is my last day of work. I too like the singles forum and hope it stays. I know there was some function I will attened when I get there. I have alot of couples friends here at home, but would like to do things with singles also. Live in Ma. went to high school in Dedham,Ma It would be funny if I met up with someone I knew from school,does that happen in TV that you know of. jmemc
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Gold member

ConeyIsBabe,
No doubt about it, you are correct when you state that "it's always daunting when moving to anew place and knowing nobody, especially as a single person". However, from what I have witnessed as a visitor, The Villages is a wonderfully friendly place where you should have NO problem making new friends rather quickly. Afterall, you've already begun doing just that.
Make sure you take Pickleball lessons because it's a fun sport. If you can line dance, that's a great way to introduce yourself and if you can't line dance there are lessons waiting for you. As a born and bred New Yorker, you can always sign up for the stickball games ... and just think, no cops to worry about. Now, now, don't say you can't hit a spalding with a broom handle.... of course you can and if not it's still a nice way to introduce yourself.

Yes, TV IS a special place where getting acquainted is easier than finding Nathan's in Coney. Keep in mind that residents of The Villages are the friendliest folk in the friendliest place.

But, I wonder if you're going to miss the dungeness crab of the Pacific Northwest. Yum-o as Rachel Ray says.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

jmemc......... CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement! :bigthumbsup:

I retired when I turned 60 - it was my birthday present to myself!! ;D
Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

tkret...... unfortunately, 18 years of sitting at a desk job (in Miami) and not being active in sports has left me with knees & a back that are not strong enough for Pickleball or Stickball. However, what I like about TV life is that there are so many other options for anyone who is not athletic...... the swimming pools, taking classes at the learning center, taking trips with friends, eating out ......... Are there any sailing clubs in TV? ;D

And, I now live in a valley, in southern Oregon where fresh dungeness crab are not available (like in San Francisco) :'(. Another reason I want to relocate back to Florida is for the ocean only a 2-hour drive from TV.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemc46
I to am a wannabee,soon I hope I am retiring, this Saturday the 28 is my last day of work. I too like the singles forum and hope it stays. I know there was some function I will attened when I get there. I have alot of couples friends here at home, but would like to do things with singles also. Live in Ma. went to high school in Dedham,Ma It would be funny if I met up with someone I knew from school,does that happen in TV that you know of. jmemc
I graduated from Lexington HS in MA. Moved to TV and found there was one classmate and one of my teachers that lived in TV. The teacher has since passed away and the classmate's wife passed away and he moved to another state to be with family.

My cousin lived in Dedham, MA after he married a native of the town. His wife Ginny (maiden name Cameron) attended school there. They had a kennel business for many years (home bred pups).

It's very likely that you may meet up with people you know, especially if you join the Southern MA club they have in TV. I understand that it's quite a large group. Since I'm from north of Boston and you're from south of Boston, you're more likely to meet people you know than I would.

best, barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe
tkret...... unfortunately, 18 years of sitting at a desk job (in Miami) and not being active in sports has left me with knees & a back that are not strong enough for Pickleball or Stickball. However, what I like about TV life is that there are so many other options for anyone who is not athletic...... the swimming pools, taking classes at the learning center, taking trips with friends, eating out
Hello, again, ConeyIsBabe,
I'm sure that you have already checked out the following link; but, if not, check this out and see ALL the different activities available for residents:

http://thevillagesdailysun.com/conte...ns/recnews.pdf

If this link doesn't work, go onto the Daily Sun website and on the left hand side click on "Recreation New" and there are about 20 or more pages of rec news and activities.

In addition, just about anyone can enjoy bocce. It's very easy and a great way to converse with others while your teammates or opponents are rolling away. I know of a few people who made long-lasting relationships with others because of signing up for the bocce games.

I surely hope your place sells soon and that you can follow your dreams to TV. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM

HI All !

Just joined today, hoping to be in TV by Oct. I sent two emails to the MA residents as I'm from Danvers, MA. Let's start a Northern MA group!

My house has an offer,inspection was yesterday and hoping no revisions $$$ to offer or I may gamble in this game and refuse any price reduction if it is a cosmetic issue. Time will tell ...

Look forward to getting down there and having some fun and be debt free from the first time since HS! Being a single parent most of my adult life sure puts a burden on the pocketbook! I love my Boston Prof. sports teams, all things Patriots, Red Sox, and Celtics, BC for colleges also. I'm just a lifer when it comes to watching them.

Hope to meet with you when I arrive! Barb, aka nannie
Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Gold member

Way to go Nannie!! Congratulations on selling your home. I think we may end up with a goodly number of singles before too long. And, of course, there are plenty of Singles clubs in The Villages.

Hey, not so sure if they sell "Skybars" in TV.... so, bring some down there.

I expect to be a resident within 9 months.

Congrats, again, and good luck with the move.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Barb /aka Nannie ........ Congrats on your offer! I hope you get your price.

I'm still not having much luck or interest in my FSBO, so I'll continue being a wannabee and live vicariously through all y'all's TV experiences :

It seems like most of the responders to this Singles Forum are from other wannabees. Before the old Singles Forum was dumped, I asked the question "where are all the TV singles"? cuz they weren't contributing to this forum. One response was that they're out having fun ! Still, it would be great to hear from them about some of the actual activities/outings/etc. If anything, it will inspire us single wannabees to get to TV sooner !

Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

As a single and living full time in The Villages for 2 and a half months here are some of the things I have done in that time. I live in the village of Duval and have joined 3 social clubs that are Duval specific. I have gone to the regular monthly socials and met neighbors and have made friends with other Villagers, so far mostly couples, I have joined the Sumter Singles Club and have played in the single scrambles and luncheon after meeting other singles. I have attended the meetings of the club and am meeting other singles. here is their web site http://www.sumtersingles.org/index.html I will be attending other activities of the club. I have gone to see the shuttle launch with other singles. I get together with other TOTVers for dinner, lunch, and town square and KB entertainment. I think in the time I have been here I have gone out and socialized nore than I did the last five years when I was working, and this is because I have made the effort and put myself out there to participate in life.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Let's see -- last week: Played bridge with different partners three times; went over a friend's house for dinner; ran around checking homes, putting together beds, picking up golf carts, weeding, walking a dog and feeding a cat for clients; went to LSL with DickY to meet TOTVers for Johnny and the Rockets; went to SS with a buddy just to goof around; lounged at home all day Saturday; went to dinner and played games with friends on Saturday night; went riding around on my scooter just for the fun of it.

Basically, I do things with singles and with couples. If I'm invited to something that doesn't particularly interest me, I don't go. I my friends mention they are doing something that I would enjoy, I will ask them if I can become a fifth wheel. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes it is no. Either answer is fine and either way I find ways to enjoy myself.

I have told DickY he has to drag me to a singles club meeting. The only way I'm going to go to one but also something I think would be good for me. (In case anyone is starting to get the wrong idea, DickY and I are friends. Nothing more but if some single lady is interested I'd recommend her going for it. He's a nice guy.)

I've been here since last September. I haven't dated unless a very sweet breakfast with a very nice gentleman counted as a date. Heck, I haven't even danced with a male since living here but I have danced quite a bit. I have had some great times and some things that will be part of my memory forever (like the shuttle launch, driving down Buena Vista and having to stop because the sand cranes had taken over the road and weren't moving for love nor money, dinner with a dear friend and her husband, the TOTV get together where Kathie tried to kill me, etc.). None of these events were due to me being single. They all, however, were due to me be willing to go out alone, ask others to join me or just be willing to go.

I have met some very unhappy singles here. Every one of them had one thing in common -- they would only do something if they were specifically invited to join. It has meant many days and evenings home alone for them. If I'm home alone, it is my choice. I know darn well I can go to the squares and just sit and listen to music. If I want to dance, I can get up and join a group of women on the dance floor (so far, no one has told me to go away when I do this). I can walk around one of the many ponds and enjoy the nature I see there. I can sit on my lanai and enjoy my neighbors walking their dogs.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. Since moving to TV, I have yet to go a day without smiling at something.

Being single is only an impediment if you make it one.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Gold member

DickY,

What a great website your provided! Sounds (and looks) like a wonderful group for the Singles Crowd. Must a member be a resident of Sumter County?

So, only two and a half months as a Villager. Sure sounds like you've been there a lot longer. Good for you and continue to have a great time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.