Celibate Seniors?

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Location: New York, New Jersey and now The Villages (Virginia Trace)

Rubicon, Congratulations on your 50 years of marriage and thank you for sharing! You are both blessed. Enjoy your celebration and your wonderful marriage for years to come.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Good for you. Think that these strong long-term marriages from people who grew up when a different set of morals were standard though are becoming rarer because of the bombardment of hedonism from Hollywood movies, TV shows, books, news programs, and the like.

Some of the shows that TOTVers watched when they were growing up and even much later did not even allow married couples to be seen on the same bed like with Dick Van Dyke and his show. Dick Van Dyke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tal: I agree... Morals are not something that go out of style. My parents generation made it clear and simple . when you see those aing excuses and/or give you their sliding scale view of what is moral watch out. Its why people with whom we have placed trust have failed us, in congress, our churches, our corporations, investments, etc Doing the right thing when no one is watching pretty much sums up ethics and morals. In my business life I was a CPCU and CLU and business ethics were central to those two societies and that was to the betterment of policyholders. I feel very deeply aboutthis subject
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Good for you. Think that these strong long-term marriages from people who grew up when a different set of morals were standard though are becoming rarer because of the bombardment of hedonism from Hollywood movies, TV shows, books, news programs, and the like.

Some of the shows that TOTVers watched when they were growing up and even much later did not even allow married couples to be seen on the same bed like with Dick Van Dyke and his show. Dick Van Dyke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lets not forget at this same time another sub-culture was very active, known as the beginning of the hippie generation. Many people were pulled in different directions.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Sage
Default a confluence of temptations

yes, certainly the hippie "degeneration", the lure of "free love", widespread availability of contraception and legalization of abortion were all factors in tempting our generation onto paths which now in our older, wiser years, we may be able to look back on and see more clearly. the purpose of starting the conversation is to give moral support to those of us who want to live an improved life. these same societal changes have wrought many unwelcome results in the life of our nation, as well....we can only begin by changing ourselves...or at least holding onto our values and beliefs, and trying to live them. i so admire the few, like rubicon, who never fell prey to false idols. at our age now as singles, the false idols are appealing to our natural yearning for love and companionship, and we hopefully have acquired enough wisdom to discern them.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
yes, certainly the hippie "degeneration", the lure of "free love", widespread availability of contraception and legalization of abortion were all factors in tempting our generation onto paths which now in our older, wiser years, we may be able to look back on and see more clearly. the purpose of starting the conversation is to give moral support to those of us who want to live an improved life. these same societal changes have wrought many unwelcome results in the life of our nation, as well....we can only begin by changing ourselves...or at least holding onto our values and beliefs, and trying to live them. i so admire the few, like rubicon, who never fell prey to false idols. at our age now as singles, the false idols are appealing to our natural yearning for love and companionship, and we hopefully have acquired enough wisdom to discern them.
That is admirable. Also admire people like Olympic hurdler Lolo Jones who wants to remain a virgin until her wedding night. It seems like a personal decision too on her part and not something bracketed onto her by peer pressures from her religion. That takes more strength in IMHO. She is not part of the Mormon or some other religion which dictates no premarital sex.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Sage

According to the Dummy's series of books for "Dating for Dummies".

The problem with relationships's is that people become lovers before they become friends. When the physical side disapates, there is no relationship because they never became friends.

Probably easier said than done as we singles must be careful in affairs of the heart.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
i so admire the few ... who never fell prey to false idols. at our age now as singles, the false idols are appealing to our natural yearning for love and companionship, and we hopefully have acquired enough wisdom to discern them.
Cha3 I'm wondering if, by your quote above, you imply that anyone who has a loving, intimate relationship while still Single is a "false idol" or whose partner is a "false idol". What or whom is the "false idol" of which you mention? Is the act of love-making without benefit of marriage the "false idol"? Or, are the participants "false idol"(s)? Being celibate for you is a choice which is honorable in your eyes. Can you afford those Single Seniors who are intimate the same benefit or do you view their activity as dishonorable? I can't help but note your recent post in which you state "societal changes have wrought many unwelcome results in the life of our nation". Since it's within the context of this thread, I wonder if you mean that Seniors finding a loving partner at the sunset of their lives, while remaining Single, can somehow harm the nation. If you're happy in the life you have chosen, great! I also think it's great when a widow and a widower find each other, or a never-been-married finds a soul-mate, or a divorced one finds contentment and learns to love, again.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Default single male

I do not take any sexual relatiionship lightly...I also don't believe the government or the church has any say in my personal life, to condone my behaviour or not..I do not judge others for their beliefs nor do I expect them to judge me for mine...I like the previous post that says before you can become a good lover you have to become a good friend...that is where the true relationship begins..

Also you can have MANY good friends without sex but very few sexual "relationships" without them being good friends..JMHO and not to preach my beliefs to anyone...

I'm so tired of hearing people repeat that crap about the villages std rates without any knowledge, other than I read it SOMEWHERE...Perhaps a quick look at the sumter county health dept website will clear this misinformation up for you and give you peace of mind...It really has placed a nationwide stigma on the singles in the villages and it is totally unwarranted and uncalled for...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Sage
Default to tkret

no, i am not trying to judge anyone by any means, just speaking for what makes me happiest in my own life...by "false idols" i mean the temptation to become involved sexually hoping to find that companionship and love before a true commitment has been established...this usually leads to someone getting hurt. i admire young people like tim tebow and the young lady mentioned, who are making wise decisions...whether it is from religion or not, the result is still good. religion is not a set of rules to make us miserable, but rather a set of guidelines to keep us in the happiness God wants for us. not everyone seems to need religious faith, but i find it indispensable. if left to my own devices i would really screw up!!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
Rubicon, Congratulations on your 50 years of marriage and thank you for sharing! You are both blessed. Enjoy your celebration and your wonderful marriage for years to come.
I echo my sincere good wishes, Rubicon. What joy it is on the first try to find a friend, a lover, a wonderful partner for life.

Hugs to you both and fifty more please.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum member

I always say.. "YOU DON'T BRING YOUR GOOD CHINA TO A PICNIC", but sometimes you don't know you're at a picnic till it's over.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I always say.. "YOU DON'T BRING YOUR GOOD CHINA TO A PICNIC", but sometimes you don't know you're at a picnic till it's over.
Patty55 I'll be honest, plead my ignorance and ask what the heck does this mean? I've have been so sheltered
Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage

I'm not sheltered and I don't get it Rubicon, don't feel bad
Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
You met your soul mate and you told him to get lost???

Or, maybe you met your soul mate but it was your boyfriend's brother??

I am taking it from a straight woman's POV but you get the point.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

LOL, I'm not explaining to you three. Rubicon & Jimbo I think in reading your posts you have both been married for quite a while. Taltzarac, I believe upthread you have admitted to being a "picnicer" (IMO) in the past.

I'm betting that the single ladies on here "get it".

YOU DON'T BRING YOUR GOOD CHINA TO A PICNIC.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.