Forever Young!

Old 02-15-2024, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED View Post
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.
Stay true to yourself and look for an area that will make YOU happy. The Villages has something to offer for everyone. If you take your time, you will find a perfect fit.

You live in Florida? Great! Visit the Villages as often as you can. Go to the squares at night and start a conversation with those sitting next to you. Many will be happy to give you information and advice.

I would not get a realtor until you know EXACTLY what you want. If they recognize you are undecided, they will make the choice for you in order to get a sale. Do not let this happen! This is YOUR RETIREMENT make certain you are buying a home that suits YOUR lifestyle. Good Luck and Welcome!
Old 02-15-2024, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandd View Post
Get a villa with fenced in area for the puppy…

Just remember coyotes jump fences and walls. Hawks fly onto yards. Do noye leave pup out alone.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
I think there is a size/weight limit on dogs in some areas. Might want to enquire.
Don't think that qualifier exists in T V. I've seen St Bernards, Great Danes, you name it in T V. Lots of good advice listed on t o t v for your plans. Rent and explore. Enjoy your time here!

(A squirrel moment about dogs and dog walking in T V... What i find alarming the most, elderly people being dragged down the street by young, over excited strong dogs like a Chocolate Lab, agressively dragging a fragile owner down the street running toward my two small dogs. Friendly or not don't let it happen like I experienced recently.

Know your strenghth at your "young" (wink wink) age when picking a new pet people. A 70 lb full running Chocolate lab was over the top too strong for the owner. She or myself or my dogs could have gotten seriously hurt.

That cute puppy or rescue you pick may be more than you can handle. So think ahead to your age vs the full grown dog's size. Dogs pay the price for human stupidity, just saying.)
Old 02-15-2024, 06:54 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

If you want to buy a new home, you have to go South of SR 44.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:04 AM

Homes with fences for the dogs are Courtyard villas, and Veranda homes. Verandas are found in the newer areas, south of 44. These areas also have a younger vibe with more newly retired folks (some still working), and Sawgrass Grove is a great gathering place.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:06 AM

Overall TV is a great place and I enjoy it very much. I have dogs and regret not buying a place with a fenced in yard even though i'm a 5 minute walk from the dog park. Traffic noise is more than i care for, its difficult to judge as somedays its perfectly quite and other days its roaring - I live about a mile from the turnpike. Its a bit crowded for me also.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:07 AM
Default Welcome

Quote:
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.
I would advise for you to take your time. I’m assuming you are familiar with the area where your dad lived when you visited him.
Depending on your activities, you will gravitate towards people that enjoy the same activities and also the area where you were raised.
People love their dogs. Best of luck.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 AM

Rent for a month is the best advice we received. And we followed it. From my experience I would say establish your priorities and they will guide your decisions about where to live.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Orange Blossom Village in the historic section has a good dog park. Lots of us younger people are buying there too.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thank you for your service.

Rent somewhere in the middle of the villages for a month or more and explore.

Find a villages and an mls real estate agent to take you around. Villages agent can show new and resales mls only resales.

Take the trolleys and look around but recognize driver will push you toward whatever the villages is selling so keep an open mind.

Great place to live but takes awhile to decide where to go.
The trolley only tours the new areas now, so yes the tour is just about new home sales.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Start with setting up a “Life Style” visit with TV sales Dept. Can’t beat the price and you will acquire a ton of information in a quick time. Next I would rent a month off season and explore it all. Enjoy and best of luck in your decision.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:01 AM

I really like the Village of Caroline. But everyone seems to like the area. I live by Sumter Landing and is a great location. I would be happy to show you around.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:09 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=GizmoWhiskers;2301374]
(A squirrel moment about dogs and dog walking in T V... What i find alarming the most, elderly people being dragged down the street by young, over excited strong dogs like a Chocolate Lab, agressively dragging a fragile owner down the street running toward my two small dogs. Friendly or not don't let it happen like I experienced recently./QUOTE]

As a long time Lab owner, they are powerful dogs. Your friend needs to acquire one of those gentle leader type harnesses that reduce pulling. Then she needs to introduce it slowly with lots of praise so the dog will accept it. Happiness for all will result.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:19 AM
Default Welcome wagon

Welcome to your active retirement community and thank you for your service.
You have been given some good advice, but the BEST advice you got is to RENT (at LEAST for one month).

We rented one month in the swampy heat of summer when things are lovely and calm and friendly in the Villages. We rented the month of February when things were crazy, when restaurants, roads, and rec centers were crowded and the natives were stressed and aggressive. We prefer summer.

The area between 466a and 466 between Morse and Buena Vista (the golden circle in realtors terms) wound up giving us the easiest and fastest access to the most golf courses, rec centers, gyms, town squares, shopping, restaurants, medical, vets, etc. and bonus points for beautiful mature landscaping.

We found lovely homes that were on the outer edges of this middle region that were LOVELY, but when we realized it took 10-15 minutes to snake our way out of those villages via golf cart to get to main thoroughfares we decided proximity to those main thoroughfare fares was a priority…hence the golden circle became our target.

We heard the old wives tale that the young are in the south/new areas, which is ridiculous. Every one of the older villages has had its original population age out and be replaced by younger people. On our street of 19 residents (another strategic decision…we did not want to be in a huge village on a busy street with a lot of traffic…we wanted a NEIGHBORHOOD where we could actually know and enjoy our neighbors), we have 1 residents in 50s, 7 in 60s, 2 in early 70s, 7 original owners in 80s, and a couple in their late 40s who are snowbirding til they retire.

My older neighbors are lovely and beloved surrogate parents for my young 60s self and the rest of our younger people. The “youngsters” watch out for and help our aging neighbors with all manner of practical daily living challenges. I believe my life is RICHER for having this spectrum of terrific neighbors of two generations living well together.

The new areas are riddled with a lot of investor-owned Airbnb rentals, higher percentage of snowbirds, etc. One person posted recently that in their section of their new village they are the ONLY owner-occupied home. They are extremely bummed that they do not have neighbors, have the chaos of short term rentals with noisy children and/or younger gens at the houses and at the pools and rec centers, and the camaraderie and safety net provided by such. People moved here to be in a 55+ NEIGHBORHOOD with their peers. Do not under estimate the value of having old-school neighborly relationships. They are a quality of life factor! The other challenges in the new areas will be the quarries blasting, heavy trucks and construction traffic for another 5 years or so, and radical lack of shopping, dining, medical, vets, salons, etc.

It has historically taken about 10 years for each new section of TV to get basic retail and commercial infrastructure, and 20 years to get truly diverse amounts of the same. Brownwood is not fully leased out and it is 10 years old and surrounded by 10s of thousands of homes. If you are a golfer get yourself at least north of 44.

I wish you good fortune in your search for your next chapter home. And I think it would be helpful if you posted what village your dad lived in and what you liked or disliked about it. That would help people steer you in a helpful direction.

DEFINITELY work with both an MLS realtor and a TV salesperson.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:23 AM
Default USAF Retired: thank you for your service

I worked at the VA Hospital in Richmond Va before I retired.
Recently relocated to the Village of Dabney it is the most southern section currently. I studied the area for about 2 years. The problem is I liked them all. I do not think you can go wrong anywhere in TV. But you could always move again if you disliked it.

Quote:

Tags
villages, time, retired, relocate, forever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.