Forever Young!

Old 02-15-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
This part of Florida, and The Villages, is nothing like it was in the early 2000s. Before you think you want to move here, come during the height of snowbird season. Like now.

I'm guessing a single younger man, has a substantial size dog, so it will be safe outside in a courtyard. If I'm wrong (it happens) and you have a little dog, it is never safe outside alone....

To me the nicest parts are near 466A. The Trailwinds shopping area has pretty much everything I need in life. Lowes, Publix, Aldi, UPS store, Spectrum, Verizon, an emergency room and fast food. Soon a Target, a Home Depot, a Panda Express and a CVS will open there.

The new areas down south are beautiful, but quite a drive still for necessities.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 441 corridor up north, but the areas up north are the most beautiful to me because of the trees. Down south they razed everything, up north they didn't.

Be prepared for people to be grumpy about your dog..... me, I prefer dogs to people.
Actually it’s only a 10 min ride from the southern villages to get to Publix, Winn Dixie, gas stations and restaurants at 470 and 27. If you want a new house than you will have to come south of 44. I’d spend time in the different areas of TV to see what you like the most. Good luck to you!
Old 02-15-2024, 12:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvanpera View Post
My priority was to be near walking trails. North Villages do not have walking trails, maybe just a few.
Hi Kvanpera,
This publication from The Villages lists the Parks, Trails & Pathways in The Villages & I count 27 in the north & 18 in the south. I used the commonly used Rt 44 as the dividing line, if I used the Florida Turnpike the numbers would be different.

https://www.districtgov.org/PdfUploa...Parks_1023.pdf
Old 02-15-2024, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,458 Times in 2,549 Posts

My wife and I rented for 20+ years, in many areas of TV.
Each had its pluses and minuses.
Our personal preference, after a while, was between 466 and 466A
The thing I would recommend, is avoid living next to main roads, and any street with a through route, or golf cart shortcut.
Village drivers do not take prisoners.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED View Post
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.
I agree rent a month at a time in SS, LSL and Brownwood areas. Dog never a problem as long as you are responsible owner.

Bigger question is your lifestyle, do you need to shop brick and mortar weekly, in need of restaurants daily? Do you love large trees and Spanish moss. Then the established SS area might work for you.

Or do you shop and eat out occasionally can go north to SS or south to Brownwood in same amount of time. Enjoy less large trees mid range of ages. Then LSL could be your area.

Finally are you the age who loves to save time by using grocery services, and Amazon, can zip up to Brownwood or down to the new areas in same amount of time. Since you are a Veteran you are close to turnpike and 1-75 to VA hospitals in Either Gainesville or Orlando. VA clinic in Villages is 34 minutes from Brownwood.
This area eventually will have more shops, restaurants, as soon as clientele can support them.

We are on our 4th house, south of 44, starting in LSL area when it was so new GPS only showed the lake. We found that moving into newer areas with younger residents, with less shopping has much less traffic, and yet in 3 miles can head north great restaurants, the parks, and Costco or commissary.

So spend time researching areas, find what fits you.

By the way the VA system is very good here, TV has the most amount of Veterans living in one area outside of any base.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.
Congratulations on your retirement. I was also in the USAF, Morse Code Operator. We live South of 44 and there are more Golf Courses in the future. I play a lot of Golf everywhere and all places in the Villages I visit are fantastic. Great place to live.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Hmm… I am reading a different question than the ones most have answered…

Last edited by Velvet; 02-15-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:21 PM
Default soon retired

I moved to the Villages 2 yrs.ago. I wanted to be near an established area and close to Lake Sumter. Village of Virginia Trace has been perfect. Centrally located for now, everyone has dogs and great way to meet people. The neighborhood is established and great plave to vacation or just relax. Good luck! Happy to answer any questions. My dog also love it here. For a little more privacy and great back yards look for a hme with a culedsac.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2024, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvanpera View Post
I just moved here a year ago. I have a dog which I walk daily. I was also Air Force. You need to decide your priority, location or house. You can fix a house but you can't fix a location. My priority was to be near walking trails. North Villages do not have walking trails, maybe just a few. South has fewer golf courses. I do not have fenced yard. Some houses have fenced yards. Can't put up a fence if one isn't there already. Near golf courses, or near other activities?
To the commenter who mentioned walking trails in The Villages: Where are they, please? I enjoy walking most of all, I don’t bike or golf. But the only areas I’ve come across to walk are short pathways.

Thank you!

Last edited by Ele201; 02-16-2024 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Needed more clarity in my comment
Old 02-16-2024, 06:22 AM

Ignore simplesimon! Do a life style stay in The villages you can bring dog too. It’s 4 to 7 days and you will get an idea of the difference areas. North had more landscaping with trees and bushes. I moved here when 67 , North side of TV and had No Bond on my home. Check out all town squares entertainment nightly. South had Edna’s and Sawgrass with entertainment. Many clubs and single groups on Facebook here to join .Download The Village app
Old 02-16-2024, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

If you have a dog I suggest that you buy a villa. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

We came down 4 yrs in a row and stayed in different areas. I only came cause my husband wanted to. Was never interested in buying. But then we rented in the Fenney area and I never wanted to leave. We now own a home here. But others love it further North. Best to try all areas out for yourself.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:28 AM

Hammock at Fenney is a newer development South of 44 and very dog friendly. We have a Courtyard Villa that we will be selling, it's not on the market yet but will be soon. One of few models that have enclosed backyard. The neighbors here are awesome and in our age group. If you're interested please give me a call when you are in town to see the house before it goes up for sale. You can reach me at ilovehines5@gmail.com.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I agree rent a month at a time in SS, LSL and Brownwood areas. Dog never a problem as long as you are responsible owner.

Bigger question is your lifestyle, do you need to shop brick and mortar weekly, in need of restaurants daily? Do you love large trees and Spanish moss. Then the established SS area might work for you.

Or do you shop and eat out occasionally can go north to SS or south to Brownwood in same amount of time. Enjoy less large trees mid range of ages. Then LSL could be your area.

Finally are you the age who loves to save time by using grocery services, and Amazon, can zip up to Brownwood or down to the new areas in same amount of time. Since you are a Veteran you are close to turnpike and 1-75 to VA hospitals in Either Gainesville or Orlando. VA clinic in Villages is 34 minutes from Brownwood.
This area eventually will have more shops, restaurants, as soon as clientele can support them.

We are on our 4th house, south of 44, starting in LSL area when it was so new GPS only showed the lake. We found that moving into newer areas with younger residents, with less shopping has much less traffic, and yet in 3 miles can head north great restaurants, the parks, and Costco or commissary.

So spend time researching areas, find what fits you.

By the way the VA system is very good here, TV has the most amount of Veterans living in one area outside of any base.
Excellent Descriptions....
Old 02-16-2024, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
To the commenter who mentioned walking trails in The Villages: Where are they, please? I enjoy walking most of all, I don’t bike or golf. But the only areas I’ve come across to walk are short pathways.

Thank you!
Go back to post #47 and click on the link the poster provided. You can also see parks and recreation information, along with many other things at

Http://www.districtgov.org
Old 02-16-2024, 04:54 PM
Red face Come SOUTH, young man!

Quote:
I suggest you come to the SOUTH Villages. Although I'm not sure of what you mean by 'others like me'? I would figure out what you're into first (sports, hobbies, entertainment etc.) and go from there.

Tags
villages, time, retired, relocate, forever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.