keep the faith

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Re: keep the faith

While I agree with most of what you say, ColeenJ, the issue is not just being single itself. A widow/widower is somewhat different from a divorced person, who is also different from a "single by choice." Someone who has lost a partner has a far more difficult time even seeing themselves as single. They see couples everywhere because they probably were a couple for a long time. Life is now different, new, hard and very raw for someone who has lost a partner. Many are looking for just friends -- not dates. A cup of coffee and someone to talk to is all it takes to brighten a day. Just mho.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM

I agree that widow/ widower is different but many of us divorced or single by choice are just looking for a cup of coffee or someone to talk to, not dates. I personally like to find friends who share my interests (male and female) so that I have someone to golf with, ride bikes with, or talk about common interests.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Agreeing with JBsmom and Colleen :bigthumbsup: Whether single by choice or by life's circumstances, we all desire companionship to share the good times ;D
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 AM

hi guys, I'm new to the site. jbsmom hit the nail on the head. I'm 3 years widowed,37 years together and I still have a hard time thinking I'm single. Raw defiantly describes it for me. I know I'll get over it, hopefully soon. The singles thing still seems weird to me. It's good to read others feelings about it. Getting to tv will help, I think. I really need a new start.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 AM

benj - it will be 3 1/2 years this weekend that I will have been single (and not by choice)...my wife passed away at a young age (50). Unlike yourself, I realized I was single right away if for my own piece of mind as I needed to accept the fact she died and move on. I got more than ever engrossed in my job (a job I do enjoy) but now realize I need a change. Like yourself I'm fairly convinced TV's lifestyle will be the right move. Now if I can only pick a retirement date.....soon! I need some encourgaement from this site!!! Good luck to all...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 PM

My husband died 7 years ago, and I still well up with tears when I think about it. I also just want some friends to do things with. Sometimes I think the whole world is couples, and even though my friends always want to include me, I feel like an add on. I know this is my perception, but it's a hard one to change. There's nothing like girlfriends doing fun, crazy things together. I'm hoping TV will be as wonderful as I think it is. I'm rambling...
Looking foward to meeting all the singles as well as couples soon. I'm grateful for TOTV, it has really given me the opportunity to get to know some folks in a fun way.
md blondie
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Gold member

Right on!, Colleenj. I am a single male who gets a lot of social fulfillment from having female and males friends. That is what is so cool about being an active, young-at-heart senior; friendships can include feelings of "dates" as well as just good ol' get-togethers. It is just great to enjoy the company of someone for a movie, dinner, sports, or anything else. It's certainly true that some folk want nothing more than to have a partner again; and that's terrific for them. Others want the free and easy feeling of the company of friends. Me? When I become a Villager in about 9 months or so I'll be open to any possibility. Until then I'll continue to dream happy dreams of The Villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenj
I agree that widow/ widower is different but many of us divorced or single by choice are just looking for a cup of coffee or someone to talk to, not dates. I personally like to find friends who share my interests (male and female) so that I have someone to golf with, ride bikes with, or talk about common interests.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Add me to the single but not really looking list. If I find friends and people to do things with, I'm happy. If I find someone I would call a significant other, I'm happy. Basically, I'm content with me but do like to do things with others. There is a certain pleasure in sharing a funny or pretty or tragic view of something with another. It just makes things a little better.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Veteran member

Red. Well said!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Agreeing with redwitch & bestmickey
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha
thanks brightspot for the reply...i don't think i will make it by the second week of august so i will look forward to seeing you at christmas time....ahh, no snow! (coming from north dakota!)....
I just read where North Dakota is the state with the most new millionaires for 2008 thanks to the many farmers who have sold the rights to drill for oil on their land!! CHACHA CHA, I hope your home isn't above a major oil deposit!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

BUMP

op:

It's the dog days of summer in southern Oregon. Whatcha all doin?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi CIB and all. It's a beautiful day here in MD....sun is shining, about 85 degrees, and little humidity. I am getting ready to go to TV for my second lifestyle visit (five days) next Thursday. Then back home to prepare to drive down for a two month stay in a rental (Sept. & Oct.). I am really looking foward to my time in TV.

CIB...when are you coming for a lifestyle visit ??? Looking foward to meeting you and others.

MD Blondie
Old 08-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

Hi MD Blondie..... I'm so jealous, but happy for your progress in making TV relocation a closer reality!

As for me..... I just dunno. My daughter is trying to reestablish her relocation in Miami and if she does make that permanent, I'll probably do my first Lifestyle Preview this winter or next spring and she and I will share the accommodations in TV.

I also look forward to meeting everyone. When my time comes, I'll announce my visit and arrange for personal "dates" for lunch, dinner, whatever. I always preferred meeting people on an individual basis rather than in a group cuz my personality is kinda reserved so when in a crowd I tend to sit in the corner and just people-watch.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Eternal Member

MD Blondie....................

When is your arrival date in September? Hope it is in time for the TOTV luncheon on Sept. 19th at Crispers.
If before then, we can arrange a "meet and greet".....................

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.