Many, Many, Questions

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2022, 05:56 AM

Yes. Grab hold of a older beautiful women and enjoy life!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

We moved to Central Florida when I was 45! You'll find lots of clubs to enjoy the same things that you did in California. As far as social scene, yes there are plenty of Bars, but not the rauckus type on Santa Monica etc . If you want to find like-minded people as yourself, and you are religious join a church. But there are a thousand clubs to enjoy what you've done before whether it's ceramics line dancing rope climbing etc and of course golf golf
Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 AM

No, this is a retirement community. 80% are 55 or older.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That is not necessarily true, the so called mature area we live in has experienced rapid turnover during the 7+ years since we bought our home. Unfortunately, high mortality rates, people transitioning to assisted living, and people loosing spouses and moving back up north to spend their remaining years with family is very common. Our mature neighborhood is now relatively young by Villages standards.
Same here. We moved into this neighborhood in 2008 and I'm seeing a gradual turnover with younger people moving in as older people move out. If I were looking at purchasing a home, I would consider what activities I'm likely to be in, and pick a house near where these activities exist. If not sure, buy something centrally located, then you'll have easy access to everything.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Very much so! Lots of groups !
Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Do your due diligence and research the negatives and positives on the Talk of the villages website about this community. Then make a discission
Old 08-25-2022, 07:16 AM

There is a club for 50’s. You are out the day you turn 60. Good amount of people in their 50’s. As for activities, as someone in my 50’s, there are plenty of people much older who can beat me in some activities. Age really isn’t a thing here. Just leave the CA way of life there, things are done much different in FL.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Vince View Post
I'll be retiring in the next couple of years from the Los Angeles area, I'll be 55. I'm seriously looking at TV as a place to relocate. I've read all the books, watched all the YouTube videos, and googled everything. I'm 100% on doing a lifestyle visit, but I have a lot of questions. Such as , is there a social environment for a "younger" (lol) single man, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
Read this new article. Excellent. It will dispel one of the myths.
Why is The Villages known as ‘the STD capital of America?’
Old 08-25-2022, 07:30 AM

Wow.. how rude was the comment stay in California.. yes, there are some rude ones here. But wow what if we (I'm a true Floridian) said stay in MA or NY or NJ or Chicago or whatever. Anyway, this place is amazing and none other like it. We live south (in our mid 50's) and mostly same live here. There are many married and single people here and from all over which helps make it unique. I love it. There's so many outdoor sports I love that I haven't even been involved much with any clubs inside. I feel better than I have in 30 years and came here to LIVE!! So, come on down you will love it!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:34 AM

We lived in LA for 40 years and moved to TV for retirement, sight unseen. We just looked at videos and bought a new house via our realtor doing a video walk through. Our only regret is not doing it 10 years earlier. I’m 62, and we moved to the south end of TV where all the new homes are being built. It’s a much younger crowd down here with many in their fifties and sixties. The farther north you live the older the average age, only because of the time period the homes were built. However, there is always a sprinkling of younger crowd everywhere if they have bought the resale homes, instead of buying new.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:44 AM

I personally think a 55 yo unless sports activities is their main reason for coming to the Villages is too young to surround themselves with older seniors on a social level. Everywhere you look there are older people, some younger like you, but definitely outnumbered.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:59 AM

I moved here from San Diego County and love it💕 Feel free of the California Nuisance and am kept as busy as I want to be. Plenty of 55 year olds so take the plunge. You won’t be sorry!
Old 08-25-2022, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I moved here when I was 62 and into a neighborhood of like aged persons. I had commented to my real estate agent that the "New Area" didn't look as mature as some of the older areas. His comment was that "mature areas" equal mature people. What that means is that people older than you with different interests and abilities. So, what I would suggest is an area that is closest to your age and interests.

Recall that birds of a feather flock together.
Springdale seems to have a nice mix of ages among the residents, from middle 80s down to middle 50s.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:08 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

One downside is you will not be able to surf in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon here.

An upside is it is dirt cheap to live here compared to LA starting with the price of gasoline. Also Florida has no state income tax as you probably are well aware. I remember CA's peaks out at 12.3% with no capital gains provision.

If you are a foodie or into healthy tasty foods at restaurants you will be disappointed. I miss all the terrific ethnic restaurants and local chains like Wahoo's I used to frequent in Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach when I lived in Corona Del Mar. Spicy Mexican food which I grew up with in NM and dearly love just ain't available here.

The toughest adjustment for me coming from CA was getting used to the heat and humidity. It is relentless during the long hot summers and I enjoy heat. Winters are on the chilly side. TV is not Miami. I knew all about living with humidity from the years I spent in PA, SC (Ft. Jackson), MD, VA, DC and NY so I knew what I was getting into.

If you are a golfer you will love it!

BTW as a single guy I was welcomed and made friends even during my three visits before I bought.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-25-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Vince View Post
I'll be retiring in the next couple of years from the Los Angeles area, I'll be 55. I'm seriously looking at TV as a place to relocate. I've read all the books, watched all the YouTube videos, and googled everything. I'm 100% on doing a lifestyle visit, but I have a lot of questions. Such as , is there a social environment for a "younger" (lol) single man, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
If you've "watched all the YouTube videos..." you have surely seen Rusty's video channel. Your singles question is probably best answered by one of his videos, link to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKGmRdMzvCg

Hope this helps (from a fellow So Cal native).
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Closed Thread

Tags
questions, visit, lifestyle, lot, younger

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.