Many, Many, Questions

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2022, 02:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Vince View Post
I'll be retiring in the next couple of years from the Los Angeles area, I'll be 55. I'm seriously looking at TV as a place to relocate. I've read all the books, watched all the YouTube videos, and googled everything. I'm 100% on doing a lifestyle visit, but I have a lot of questions. Such as , is there a social environment for a "younger" (lol) single man, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
You there is a very active Republican club with many single members
Old 08-25-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It did! Thank you.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
We lived in The Villages for 3 years and really enjoyed it. But, beware. If you are of a progressive state of mind, you will be living amongst about 70% who think the other way, and make their feelings known. Too bad our society has developed this way but it is what it is.
As opposed to us that have lived decades in a progressive area who were bullied, threatened, and intimidated into silence for daring to have opposing thoughts. There are like, 6 places in the U.S. where we can be ourselves while the progressives can say, do, and feel what they want - demonstrably and vociferously - without fear of reprisal, disdain, professional censure or physical injury nearly everywhere else in the country and on every college campus, government agency, tech corporation, etc. Surely you won't take this bastion away from us?
Old 08-25-2022, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. There are some great points and a lot to think about. I very much appreciate all the info. I'm combat vet (Iraq- 1st Marine Division), and have been a Police Officer for 25 years so there's a reason why I want to leave CA. I look forward to learning more.
Same. LASO/OCSD w a little time in Gardena and Anaheim.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishjeff View Post
We escaped California almost three years ago and have never had second thoughts. We fly back from time to time when we need our mountain fix or to taste fine California wine (and order a few cases). Coincidently just this week I have met several happy transplanted Californians. You will be able to touch and feel The Villages experience when you do your lifestyle visit.
Happy to hear this! I’m native Californian for 68 yrs now, and can’t wait to move to TV. Hubs is native Michigander, but has been in Calif since 1974 straight out of college. He’s ready to move on too. We did our lifestyle visit in June, and have wished we were back there ever since. Hopefully our home will sell soon so we can get back to the fun, and wet stuff (rain!). 😅
Old 08-25-2022, 07:03 PM

Vince, I moved to The Villages from Thousand Oaks about 2 years ago and love it. Some noticeable differences you have to travel about an hour for things you are accustomed to such as COSTCO, restaurant variety, etc. Also, the weather is much different especially if you plan on living here full time.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,165 Times in 893 Posts

I believe the club you will be interested is called South of 60. I'm in my 50's and loving TV.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:42 PM

I moved here with my husband when I was 51 years old. I'm now 73 and I love it here as much if not more than when I first moved to The Villages. Do the lifestyle package and then maybe rent for a couple of months to make sure. If you golf you'll be in 7th heaven. By the way, there are over 3000 clubs and I'm sure you will find many that are what you want. Come visit, you'll love it!
Old 08-26-2022, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'll be retiring in the next couple of years from the Los Angeles area, I'll be 55. I'm seriously looking at TV as a place to relocate. I've read all the books, watched all the YouTube videos, and googled everything. I'm 100% on doing a lifestyle visit, but I have a lot of questions. Such as , is there a social environment for a "younger" (lol) single man, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
I moved in Los Angeles from Orlando in ‘93 and just moved to TV a year ago, though i was born and raised in Leesburg so, I’ve literally watched TV grow from it’s conception.

South of 44 is where the “younger” people seem to be but you’ll definitely be one of the youngest ones. That’s how I feel anyway. I never did a lifestyle visit but did stay in an airbnb north of 44 and bought new south of 44. They have a really different vibe. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here. I’ve only encountered rude people on this site. Never in person anywhere out and about. It’s easy to meet people.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMTOFVIL View Post
Vince, I moved to The Villages from Thousand Oaks about 2 years ago and love it. Some noticeable differences you have to travel about an hour for things you are accustomed to such as COSTCO, restaurant variety, etc. Also, the weather is much different especially if you plan on living here full time.
How funny! We are in Thousand Oaks. Looking to move there full time, so yep the stuff you mentioned is our biggest concerns (Costco, weather, and for us Trader Joe’s), but I think we’ll adjust eventually. Won’t miss the drought and wildfires.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:17 AM
Default Good neighbors are nice

But those with whom you share activities will most likely become your closest friends.
QUOTE=mtdjed;2129393]I moved here when I was 62 and into a neighborhood of like aged persons. I had commented to my real estate agent that the "New Area" didn't look as mature as some of the older areas. His comment was that "mature areas" equal mature people. What that means is that people older than you with different interests and abilities. So, what I would suggest is an area that is closest to your age and interests.

Recall that birds of a feather flock together.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaws View Post
No, this is a retirement community. 80% are 55 or older.
If true, that makes 20% under 55.

0.20 x 125,000 = a lot.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
If true, that makes 20% under 55.

0.20 x 125,000 = a lot.
2% would be 2,500

20% would be 25,000
Old 09-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.
Default How old, who cares...

The discussion of “Younger versus Older” retirees within a retirement community is very illogical in my opinion. When someone is of age to live in a 55+ community such as TV does age really matter that much? At his stage of one’s life maximizing enjoyment should be first on the list. As a single female in her early 60’s I have no issues dating a man in his 50’s or 70’s, if you enjoy someone’s company, age should be a non-factor.

“We are living in an interminable succession of absurdities imposed by the myopic logic of short-term thinking.” ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09-06-2022, 08:58 AM

Thank you for the input. There is a lot of misinformation about TV and in doing my research I've found many answers, and more questions.
Closed Thread

Tags
questions, visit, lifestyle, lot, younger

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.