Missing All My Friends....

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I was back in NH for 10 days for two graduations. Went to Ogunquit one day - it was so hot you could fry eggs on the sidewalk! The natives were walking around stripped down to strappy tops and shorts and sporting a great deal of very white skin. I imagine there were some 3rd degree burns that night. Then we had two days of non-stop rain and cold, then it warmed up and was hot and humid and the mosquitoes came out. They seem to be bigger and more aggressive this year. We were so very glad to get back home here to TV.

We also found it very expensive. Food prices very high. Missed the variety of fruit we take for granted. I guess we have become Floridians!
I'm surprised you find NH expensive since they don't have any State income tax or sales tax. My mom lives in Mass, but we do all of our shopping just over the border in NH. Don't feel like we're cheating though, because my son and 2 sisters all live in NH.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM

LOVED your roses, Girl. Hey, here in FL now, I have an even BETTER garden - and it's HUGE now so I have less grass to mow. Now it's too hot for some plants, but the roses still look great! Oh, and you know Fl has plenty of bears too (but not in TV)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I'm surprised you find NH expensive since they don't have any State income tax or sales tax. My mom lives in Mass, but we do all of our shopping just over the border in NH. Don't feel like we're cheating though, because my son and 2 sisters all live in NH.
I think the cost of living probably depends on how many you have in the family and how they eat. We are just two retired people. I can shop and stock up at the sales at Publix, I shop Aldi's and get certain items at Sam's. My daughter-in-laws who live in NH shop Market Basket for most of their groceries and don't have the luxury of the time needed to shop around at various stores. They are also feeding families which is far different from feeding two retired people.

I will give one small example - we eat Fage Yoghurt. This past week it has been on sale at Publix for 5 for $6.00. I purchased it in Merrimack last week for $1.99 per piece. Huge difference in price. On the other hand, they buy the store brand which is much cheaper than buying Fage. So it probably works out the same in the long run.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karengfw View Post
LOVED your roses, Girl. Hey, here in FL now, I have an even BETTER garden - and it's HUGE now so I have less grass to mow. Now it's too hot for some plants, but the roses still look great! Oh, and you know Fl has plenty of bears too (but not in TV)
When I get back I'm going to try to do another rose garden and see if I can manage to have both. Maybe you can give me some tips.

I would like to think that when I'm back in the Villages, making sure that a bear - or any other critter for that matter - does not choose to enjoy his evening meal via my trash, won't be on my to do list. Cleaning up after that moocher was absolutely gross.

On the plus side, I really enjoy seeing the loons out on the lake and hearing their call to each other. It's very cool.

It seems that my thread has taken a bit of a side road, with all this chat about the cost of living in NH as compared to Fl. So, I feel like I should say something about it.

Since I now live in both places, I think I can weigh in with some first hand knowledge on the subject. If you live and work in NH, the savings is significant, because there is no state income tax. But, not only is the average home price higher here the property taxes are enough to choke a horse - my dad's expression - as is the cost of hotels and restaurant food - both highly taxed - The cost of food is slightly higher, as is the cost of heating, electric and other utilities. On the other hand, anything you buy on line - whether there is a store in the state or not and any non food item purchased in the state - which doesn't seem to cost any more than in Fl, has no sales tax, so you save in NH.

All in all, for me, the only down side to living here - because, it truly is a beautiful state (beside missing my friends, of course)- is the long, cold, snow laden winters, which can start as early Halloween and drag on until Mother's day (if you're lucky). 7 months of misery, and when outdoor sports are something you begin to avoid after you've had your 3rd 49th birthday. All I hear from everyone here is how I dodged a bullet by moving to FL last fall.

Katie
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I was back in NH for 10 days for two graduations. Went to Ogunquit one day - it was so hot you could fry eggs on the sidewalk! The natives were walking around stripped down to strappy tops and shorts and sporting a great deal of very white skin. I imagine there were some 3rd degree burns that night. Then we had two days of non-stop rain and cold, then it warmed up and was hot and humid and the mosquitoes came out. They seem to be bigger and more aggressive this year. We were so very glad to get back home here to TV.

We also found it very expensive. Food prices very high. Missed the variety of fruit we take for granted. I guess we have become Floridians!
Change Location Submit
Today's Weather for: Powered By WeatherBug
Lady Lake, FL 32158 6/19/2014

Switch to Celsius
Heat Index: 74�°F

Humidity: 91%

Dew Point: 72�°F

So Far Today
High: 76�°F
Low: 72�°F
Rain: N/A"
Rain Rate: N/A"/h
Gusts: 8mph WNW

Your Local Forecast
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday

High: 90 °F
Low: 72 °F
More High: 92 °F
Low: 73 °F
Low: 75 °F
More High: 91 °F
More
Come on down weather is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Hi Katie,

A beautiful setting, a lovely rose garden accompanied by the sounds of loons on the lake sounds like the beginning of a good novel. Enjoy your summer!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I think the cost of living probably depends on how many you have in the family and how they eat. We are just two retired people. I can shop and stock up at the sales at Publix, I shop Aldi's and get certain items at Sam's. My daughter-in-laws who live in NH shop Market Basket for most of their groceries and don't have the luxury of the time needed to shop around at various stores. They are also feeding families which is far different from feeding two retired people.

I will give one small example - we eat Fage Yoghurt. This past week it has been on sale at Publix for 5 for $6.00. I purchased it in Merrimack last week for $1.99 per piece. Huge difference in price. On the other hand, they buy the store brand which is much cheaper than buying Fage. So it probably works out the same in the long run.

Except for the difference in quality! Nothing compares to Fage, and it's one of the few Greek yoghurts that is still made the traditional way, taking the time to drain it.

However, at the rate our two sons went through yoghurt growing up, I'd go with the store brand too! Feeding teenage boys is not cheap. They have empty legs.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Sage

we have the sound of loons on the lake here, too! just listen outside city fire or rjgators at lake sumter some evening....alcohol has something to do with it
Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We have been back from our Merrimack/Concord, NH trip for just 5 days and I have to say I love this peculiar State we have adopted as our home. I was at one of the Rec Centers early this morning, met numerous people who "know" me and enjoyed stopping and chatting for a minute, met my early morning walking buddies even though they are going one way and I am going the other and saw my neighbors for a quick "good morning". There is something unique about living in The Villages and I love it. As we all know it is hotter than ****, we have had two really bad storms and enough rain to start building an Ark, but I love it here. I had coffee in Panera's with a recently widowed friend who is doing great. Tonight I'll be at Sumter Landing for a fish dinner - life is good.

So Katie, enjoy your wonderful summer and your family and then enjoy coming back to this great place TV! You can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midvale View Post
At least you aren't here in Rochester where beavers are pulling people from kayaks and attacking them!!!
Beaver attacks, pulls man off kayak - 13WHAM ABC Rochester NY - Top Stories
Hey ron, I was on Beaver Patrol in upper MN and would tear dams up to get water flowing for the purpose of better paddling. Guess I was lucky not to get bushwacked, but then I was canoeing. Higher sides, ya know..
Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
we have the sound of loons on the lake here, too! just listen outside city fire or rjgators at lake sumter some evening....alcohol has something to do with it
LOL, cha. that's funny.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
This is true ---- outside bar should be removed
Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Hi Katy.. We are back in NH as well - selling our lake home in Atkinson, NH. I've been here since the end of March and have been miserable on every level. Way too cold for me now. Lots of showings, but no offers yet. Hoping to have it sold and closed by end of July. Then we will be moving to our new apartment in Center Harbor (Near you, I think) in August. That will be our summer retreat for 3 months - July, August, Sept - then we will race back to TV for the good life.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Default lighten up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
This is true ---- outside bar should be removed
i was just joking...live and let live.... life is short!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
Hi Katy.. We are back in NH as well - selling our lake home in Atkinson, NH. I've been here since the end of March and have been miserable on every level. Way too cold for me now. Lots of showings, but no offers yet. Hoping to have it sold and closed by end of July. Then we will be moving to our new apartment in Center Harbor (Near you, I think) in August. That will be our summer retreat for 3 months - July, August, Sept - then we will race back to TV for the good life.
Yes, Center Harbor is the next town north of me. It's truly lovely there. And now that the weather is the way it's supposed to be, the rest of the summer should be great.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.