Potential Single Resident

Old 04-10-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLover24 View Post
Hi all! Male/54 relocating to Florida this summer and considering the Villages. I visited last weekend and got the tour. Planning to come back down the week of April 15 for a deeper dive. Would appreciate a recommendation on what to see/do while there to get the most immersion possible in the community. Possibly meet

some other singles to get their perspective. Any suggestions appreciated!
I would buy a new home around Eastport as that’s the newest area of TV, and the new square and activities there are going to make it the place to be. People down in the southern end are younger and everyone is brand new looking to make friends and getting involved in activities. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:32 AM

So here’s my opinion. You need to decide what are your must haves: new house vs pre-owned (new is in the Deep South of TV where the infrastructure is not what it is north of 44); if you are a golfer you need to stay north of 44 or not more than a mile south of 44 - the number of golf courses south vs north is minimal to the ratio of people; do you want stores (grocery, clothing, house needs) and restaurants readily available to you, again stay north of 44. I don’t have hard facts but it seems to me that the ratio of homes to rec centers is lower in the south also. I would definitely spend some time in all the areas to get a feel of each. They are different! Talk to people and ask what they like about the area they live in. I live in Charlotte, it is about central in TV now and we love the area. Close to shops, rec centers, lots of golf, and the town squares are close.

Many have stated that you want to go south for the younger people. I feel that there are younger people anywhere you go in TV.
As for singles, which I am not, there are many avenues that have been mentioned. I would stick with TV clubs, church groups, etc.

Spend some time traveling around in a car and a golf cart. That will give you an idea of what you like and don’t like. You might need more than a week to have time to really see what we are talking about. Wherever you end up, I wish you the best in finding your forever home and a soulmate if that is what you are looking for.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:20 AM

Watch Rusty Nelson videos

Old 04-10-2024, 08:34 AM
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
If you are a Golfer shopping for a home in The Villages, you should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which have very few Executive Golf Courses. Rather, you should buy a Pre-Owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of golf courses nearby.
I am SO TIRED of this comment! Why don't you sign up for the Sales Center Trolley Tour and SEE for yourself that you are wrong! Yes, SEE, because the courses are already layed out and are greening in right now and there are 8 courses in the new area coming very very soon.
And guess what else? All the new retail (think Costco, Dicks, etc) is going to be in the Middleton area which is adjacent to the newest Villages because any retailer is going to want to build where there are families spending way more monthly in retail purchases then a couple of retired people.
Pick the place that is right for you, your budget, your interests and your lifestyle but please stop "South Bashing" with completely incorrect information.

Last edited by Lisanp@aol.com; 04-10-2024 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-10-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
I am SO TIRED of this comment! Why don't you sign up for the Sales Center Trolley Tour and SEE for yourself that you are wrong! Yes, SEE, because the courses are already layed out and are greening in right now and there are 8 courses in the new area coming very very soon.
And guess what else? All the new retail (think Costco, Dicks, etc) is going to be in the Middleton area which is adjacent to the newest Villages because any retailer is going to want to build where there are families spending way more monthly in retail purchases then a couple of retired people.
Pick the place that is right for you, your budget, your interests and your lifestyle but please stop "South Bashing" with completely incorrect information.
New Costco rumor!!!

Everybody take a drink!

-Tom Petty

Old 04-10-2024, 09:22 AM
Default Potential Single Resident

Many years ago when I was looking for a retirement location, I did a lot of researching on what makes a good retirement community. Almost every research endeavor had the same No.1 item. That item is: The developer builds the community, and GETS OUT! Many of the problems here in TV is because of the greed of the Morse family. Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone coming here.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLover24 View Post
Hi all! Male/54 relocating to Florida this summer and considering the Villages. I visited last weekend and got the tour. Planning to come back down the week of April 15 for a deeper dive. Would appreciate a recommendation on what to see/do while there to get the most immersion possible in the community. Possibly meet some other singles to get their perspective. Any suggestions appreciated!
Friend of mine had a football party. Had 17 ladies there and 3 men. He was 70 and all of the females were under 60.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
Many years ago when I was looking for a retirement location, I did a lot of researching on what makes a good retirement community. Almost every research endeavor had the same No.1 item. That item is: The developer builds the community, and GETS OUT! Many of the problems here in TV is because of the greed of the Morse family. Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone coming here.
Then you know nothing. With the exception of retail developments, the developer does indeed sell everything to the government structure of The Villages and is out.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,771 Times in 1,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Then you know nothing. With the exception of retail developments, the developer does indeed sell everything to the government structure of The Villages and is out.
Bingo.

Ax-grinders can be found here in TV, just as in every other place.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
You sound serious. If you are considering buying a house or villa here, I would suggest driving the various areas such as historic area, northern, Lake Sumter area and south of 466A and the new southern villages. The object would be to rule in or rule out some areas. As for meeting singles, look at the weekly rec section that comes out on Thursday and look in the back for the list of singles clubs. That would be a start. Good luck! Lots of singles residents here!

The section referred to here is a “magazine” that can be picked up in any rec center, not just in the Thursday paper.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
GREED!!! Everybody drink!

-Tom Petty

Old 04-10-2024, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Somewhat true. The developer keeps building and continues to call his new development THE VILLAGES. He is not out! He still has a great influence especially in the arena of home pricing. Read the Daily Sun? Controlling what is written about the Villages is not a developer who has left and moved on!

Back to the OP. There are many singles in the Villages. No matter which Village you choose, you will not be the only one.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-10-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
What are all these problems of which you speak?

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 04-10-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope you like older women because I don't think you will find many women in your age group. There are lots of widows in their late 60's and 70's, but very few unattached women who are under 60. I would suggest you attend a few singles group activities.
OP, LISTEN TO HIM. I know 3 single guys in their mid-50s that moved because they could not find anyone under 65 - and most were in their 70s. But if you do come here, look near Eastport. The people South of 44 are generally younger and that area will be hopping. Plus, near the turnpike makes you 40 minutes to Orlando.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)

Old 04-11-2024, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,232 Times in 774 Posts

Put a loofah on your golf cart. They will follow you home.

Tags
potential, dive, recommendation, see/do, immersion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.