Single roommates

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Hi, I'm doing the golden girl thing with a friend of mine. Remember even though you have your own bedroom and bathroom, you will need to take into consideration that you will be sharing the rest of the house and outdoor space. In other words, make sure you develop or can develop a friendship with that other person.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Kate, if I were in your situation as I understand it, I would try to buy a turnkey villa for 150K or so, and rent it to someone fulltime, with the understanding that you may come whenever you like and stay as long as you want. I would not worry about whether it was a male or female.
If I were single and intending to be fulltime in the community, I would then consider how I wanted to be perceived by friends, neighbors, potential partners.
Kitty
ps you might be able to leverage the equity in the property you own. PM me if interested. I'm not in a business to help, but would as a friend.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Default This is going to be more difficult than I thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
katierogers, I would be very careful of Craig's List if you use it. Some people have got into very nasty situations with it.
I found, what seemed to be, a great roommate for the fall. Unfortunately, my little dog became a problem, so I'm now back to square one.

I felt very fortunate, because it was someone I met on Craigslist, who turned out to be a really nice person. We even had mutual friends.

But, you're absolutely right. You're more likely to find TV residents looking for a roommate, who have ulterior motives. You'd think it would be men looking for a female roommate, but, ironically there were more women who were looking for roommate lovers. Of course, they were up front about it, so who knows if the men are being honest.

But, I still think a roommate situation would be the best way to go for me, until I know for sure that TV is the best place for me. Some singles obviously love it and have found their niche and have made friends easily, but there seem to be just as many who are having a hard time of it.

So, if anyone knows of someone - male or female - looking for a roommate for September, I would appreciate the heads up. I think finding the best roommate situation might be better accomplished by being introduced by the great people I've met in these forums.

Katie
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerogers View Post
Hi all,
When I move down in September I'm seriously thinking of sharing a home, instead of either buying or renting - A new experience for me. Three questions. Has anyone else ever taken this leap of faith and how did that work out for you? Second - Do women do better rooming with men or with other women? Would men rather room with a women or another guy and why? And third, I remember Chachacha mentioning that it was hard to date people outside of the villages because they could not get an ID badge. I was wondering if this same problem arises if you are rooming with someone but are neither the homeowner nor the original renter. Does anyone know whether there are a lot of roommate situations out there? Would that be question 4?

Katie
Is this the kind of situation you are seeking? Boomer Housemates Have More Fun : Shots - Health News : NPR

Are there any in The Villages?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage

the homes in the villages are not large enough for this....even one roommate is difficult in a small home....it would be a good idea to build a couple of big ones and experiment with how they sell
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Sage

People share small apartments in cities - why not here?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
the homes in the villages are not large enough for this....even one roommate is difficult in a small home....it would be a good idea to build a couple of big ones and experiment with how they sell
Are you talking about some kind of commune? I'm just trying to figure out how to live with one other person. At 20, when sleeping on the floor was something you could handle in a pinch - or when you couldn't find your way home - you might be able to live like that, but, I like my space to much.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage

i was referring to the article linked by manabouttown about the "golden girls" style of home sharing, where they had five bedrooms and probably five bathrooms. i agree, at my age i like my space, my quiet, and my privacy. love to get together with girlfriends but not on a permanent living basis.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The Golden Girls style of living discussed within the article applied to living not only in spacious houses but in typical communities having people of all ages. Their living situation provided companionship and activity partners as well as opportunities to form closer friendships. IMO The Villages provides such an environment but in a more extensive and attractive manner. In The Villages singles need not share housing to find activity partners and companions. Too, because everyone in TV comes from somewhere else friendships can develop relatively quickly, just as they did back in college.

The article also seemed to focus on childless single baby boomer women, or at least women not having close family connections. If I recall correctly many of those mentioned had health issues as well.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi, All

This has turned out to be a good day. I was beginning to doubt the reality of actually getting down there to meet you all. Finding a place was becoming a nightmare. But, today I think I've finally found one in Summerhill - where ever that is. After reading all your posts and really thinking about what it would be like to live with someone I didn't even know, I had to admit that, even though I would be saving a ton of money, the reality is I would have to constantly be concerned with the idiosyncracies of my roommate - and I have enough of my own to deal with.

The downside is that I can only rent the place until the end of December, but I'm hoping that once I get there I will be in a better position to find a place to get me, at least, through to April. I just don't want to spend another winter under 3 ft snow. Or I might even decide to stay and find a good deal on a home, so I can go back and forth.

So, thank you - Diane, Kitty, Kathie, Janice, Dee, DianeM, Katie ( and those who still remain nameless) and of course all the gentlemen, as well, who have been so friendly, supportive and helpful. I'm relying on you to get me through this Brave New World. So, I hope you all don't live on the other side of planet Villages and at some point we will get to know each other. I do have a tendency to live like a hermit, which I'm hoping will change along with the move.

Again, thanks to all.
Katie

Katie
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Sage

summerhill is a great location, smack in between spanish springs and lake sumter and close to all the shopping on 466! so no one will be on the other side of the planet Villages to you look forward to your arrival in sept! congratulations!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Dancing Thyme

So glad to hear that, Katie. Yes, Summerhill is a great location. Right behind the Southern Trace shopping plaza and you will be so close to Crispers that there will be no excuse for not coming.

Let us know your dates so we can meet and greet you!!! Good Luck!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Katie I'm glad you decided to give TV a try. I move in next week so should be set up by your arrival in September. Like you, I tend to hermit a bit when I'm on unfamiliar grounds but I have high hopes that I'll be gutsy enough to join in several activities offered in TV. See you in September (isn't that a song from our misbegotten youth).
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage

Katie, Last year I rented a patio villa in Summerhill for a week. As others have posted, the Village of Summerhill is a great location. You can walk to Publix and Crispers if you are so inclined. There are several other stores in the Southern Trace shopping plaza. If you go on The Villages web site and click on shopping, there should be a listing of the stores and restaurants in the Southern Trace shopping plaza. Summerhill is just north of 466, and there are many restaurants and stores along 466. It is a very convenient location. If I were buying in TV, Summerhill would be on my "short list" when looking for a home.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM

Welcome to Summerhill Katie. I bought a house there in April, although I have yet to move in! Tile is going in beginning in a week. I am staying at my sister's house in nearby Lynnhaven Village. See you in Sept.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.