Singles ??

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Singles ??

For a couple of months I've noticed that the SINGLES FORUM has been eliminated and I guessed it was for lack of posting there. Still, it was a resource for topics relating to singles' activities and lifestyle.

I know singles are a small minority in TV but don't understand the absence of TOTV participation :dontknow:
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Singles ??

I wouldn't consider singles a small minority - it's more than you would think. There are many singles clubs and I belong to a single women's club that is for single, divorced, widows etc. Our first meeting had about 45 women and is now around 200. We do all sorts of activities - just had a potluck dinner the other night and will not meet for the next 2 months. We will resume in September but there are still activities going on. We are the Single Sports Social Women's Club (we never did think of a better name) but it is not sports oriented.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM

CIB I'm disappointed too that the Singles Forum was eliminated. I wonder why.

I thought TOTV was attempting to take up the slack, or help improve things for us here in TV. We singles are aware that The Villages caters to and prefers couples. I recognized that when my Lifestyle visit for just me was the same price as for a couple. Now it looks like TV is not having the Singles Dances each month. Yes they were not always well-attended, but we made suggestions for improvements (better music, more central location, etc) and we're still waiting for them to implement those improvements. Instead they canceled the dances. Do they want all the singles to leave, or just keep out of sight?

If we can't have a singles forum, I guess we could have a singles thread. However it would keep subjects/topics better organized if we could get our forum back IMHO.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

mfp & pj.......... THANKS for your input; I'm sorry to hear about the singles' dances cancelled. Since I'm only a " TV wannabee" I really have no right to complain but I am a potential buyer, when/IF my Oregon property ever sells.

Still, I would be an active participant in the singles' activities (when I move to TV in the future) and I'm interested in reading about their activities now.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Sage

Coney, You could and have started a singles thread. Keep giving it a bump so it will be close to the top.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 PM

Yes, please someone start a thread. I'm new to this site.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Samhass.......... THANKS for the encouragement. Now, let's see if we can have a

SINGLES ROLL-CALL, please :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Well this can be it (the singles' thread) but as I mentioned, we could more easily keep subjects/topics better organized and categorized if we could get our forum back. Please? When one subject continues forever, as some in the fem forum do, there's more rambling and topic switching, fine if that's what everyone wants. Just makes it harder to follow and keep up I think, and not waste time plowing thru subjects that may not interest you. IMHO

I LOVE living here. I'd love it more IF:

1. We had our own Singles' forum.
2. Singles were considered important and treated the same as couples whenever possible.
3. TV would provide a couple of tables designated for single dancers w/out partners at all Villages dances, and would advertise this in the Rec. schedule, so all would know we are welcome at all the dances (IF we are welcome).
4. I could find a tall experienced ballroom dancer guy, any volunteers please pm me. (LOL fat chance!)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Sage

PJ, I think a singles forum should be in place. But for the grace of God, we could all be single at any time. A support network in place would be a wonderful thing.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 AM

Samhass, that's a great idea I hadn't thought of. A support network would be so good to have in place, ready when needed.

It's sad to think about, but as you said, couples don't know when they could become single. I think I'm still reverberating from the effects of becoming single. Sometimes the feelings feel raw again, long after I imagine they're gone and I'm just so fine, something triggers it.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Sage

PJ, I doubt there is an easy way to "become" single when you have loved someone. I think it will be critical for us all to have loving friends around to help us overcome the grief and loneliness of that time.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Eternal Member

Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. Once a person has had chickenpox, the virus can live, but remain inactive, in your body. If it becomes active again, usually later in life, it can cause Shingles. If you've had chickenpox, . . . oooh, this is about Singles, not Shingles. Sorry about that.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 AM

Thanx Muncle, I can always count on you for a good chuckle!
Nitey-nite!
PJ
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Single (not by choice) support is one of a very few areas lacking in our wonderful community. Aside from the churches and hospice, there is little else available (to my knowledge). Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage

Muncle, You are a trip. Be well, friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. Once a person has had chickenpox, the virus can live, but remain inactive, in your body. If it becomes active again, usually later in life, it can cause Shingles. If you've had chickenpox, . . . oooh, this is about Singles, not Shingles. Sorry about that.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.