Singles events in TV during October

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default Singles events in TV during October

Since my long awaited October stay in TV is now a month away I thought it timely to discover what singles events are scheduled as well as what activities in general I might find enjoyable as a single. I hope to get to SL and SS for the evening entertainment but beyond that I am clueless.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and recommendations offered.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage

I did find the websites of The Villages singles http://www.thevsclub.com/ and Sumter Singles http://www.sumtersingles.org/Index.html and checked their calendars. I also plan to get in touch with a couple of posters who were kind enough to contact me in the past.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage

Thank you for posting these web sites.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222

Go on TV website and go to Recreation. On the left hand side you can download the weekly Recreation News. If you have trouble, write me back. I moved to Buttonwood in January and am slowly brushing off the newbie label! I am single, as well, and have found that the single baby boomers have lots of activities and so does sumter singles. I am sure I left out a couple single groups. Get ready to live the good life!

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn222 View Post
Go on TV website and go to Recreation. On the left hand side you can download the weekly Recreation News. If you have trouble, write me back. I moved to Buttonwood in January and am slowly brushing off the newbie label! I am single, as well, and have found that the single baby boomers have lots of activities and so does sumter singles. I am sure I left out a couple single groups. Get ready to live the good life!
Lynn222, After nine months in TV, you are approaching TV veteran status.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage

Does anyone know when the October schedules will be released? I would like to either print them out or write down notes on what is happening when and where. I found the September schedules just fine, thanks to some helpful posts in several threads.

By the way, I also checked meetup but could fine nothing for The Villages, per se.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Manaboutown, if you like to dance, please know that men are always needed at the singles dances, as there are lots more women than men in TV! ( I recently heard the ratio is 12 to 1, not sure if that's correct).

The Villages singles club has dances at most all the meetings, so come join us on Monday, Oct. 3rd @ 6:30 @ La Hacienda, .

Also there's an "End of Summer Dance" on Oct. 1st @ 3:00 @ La Hacienda, hosted by The Villages Singles Club.

If you don't know how to dance, and want to learn (or brush-up), there are lots of dance classes available, some are just for couples, but there are some where you can go as a single.

Also there's a Singles EXPO on Oct. 15, @ La Hacienda, 10 am - 6 pm. There will be speed dating, bachelor auction, entertainment, food, drink, raffles, prizes, event info for singles.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Sage

Thank you for the information, PJ. Yes, I do enjoy dancing some although no one would ever mistake me for an Arthur Murray or Fred Astaire. Ringo Starr, maybe ... since I played drums professionally at one time.

Actually my MCO ETA is after 7:00 p.m. the evening of October 1 so I will miss the dance on that date. I did note the October 3 event and hope to attend. The October 15 Singles Expo looks very promising. Thank you especially for that one.

One of my biggest concerns is that according to the data I am finding 85% of Villagers are married. I am quite happy for them but I want to be accepted as a single, meet other singles and continue to have a great social life.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Smile

Yes that's very true, Manaboutown, TV is mostly coupled up. I too am very happy for them! I think you will feel very much at home here though, after meeting and becoming friends with us singles. Some of us go places together as a group, to movies or the squares, or dances.... like "group dating" as teens!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Sage
Default thank you, PJ

thanks for all that information! i used to try to keep up with all the activities and post them here but it gets exhausting...so much fun to be had!! that singles expo does indeed sound wonderful...must one register beforehand? curious minds want to know
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Location: Philadelphia,PA - Mt Laurel, NJ, Village of Fernandina

I'll be down during the 1st week of November for a Lifestyle Preview. Sorry to add to the 85% of woman singles. I've been reading TOTV for over a year and I'll be making my permanent move in 6 - 9 months.

My immediate concern is meeting up with a group of singles to dance, golf (beginner), go out to lunch and dinner. I'm a little nervous about being alone for a week and not being able to meet up with anyone. I know what to do, but I'd be reluctant to walk into a bar, restaurant, country club, golf course, dance by myself without some kind of introduction. I wish I could be there for the Singles Exp because it sounds like a lot of fun.
Manabouttown, hope your visit goes well and you get to meet all the nice people that are on this website. Please post how you make out.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Dancing Thyme

Manabout and Single Track...this is one single woman who rarely attends any singles activities as I am very happy being single and really don't want any attachments but if you would like to catch up with my group of singles other than formal dances or singles groups, please let me know. I'm out dancing every night of the week, usually at local clubs, restaurants, country clubs and bars, lol.... We could arrange to meet up at the square and I could give you the normal schedule that we follow. We dance to R&R, new rock music, line dancing, and every type of other dance you could think of. So let me know if your interested in my type of entertainment and I'll be happy to share our schedules with you.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Single Track, I was in TV visiting a co-worker who was renting for a month recently.
After being in the Villages for an hour she dropped any ideas of feeling stranded for a month by being single. The good people of the Villages will not let that happen. She said for example going into Panera's for coffee, she sat at a table by herself and group of women were motioning her over to their table to join them. Her face literally hurt by the time she left from smiling soooo much. Her only problem now is depression....because she isnt in the Villages and will be two years until retirement.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default Recreation News online

You can get TV's Recreation News online. Go to TV site and click on Recreation. Scroll down and on the left side and you will see Recreation Downloads. Click on the 2nd one...Recreation News & Activities. The paper is updated every Thursday. Good luck!

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Single Baby Boomers

There are a number of singles clubs in TV so there is never a lack of activities available. In particular if you are born between 1946 and 1964 you can join the Single Baby Boomers. Their next meeting is Oct 6 (Thursday) at 6:30 at Sea Breeze Rec Center. You can join then or just check it out.

My goal in moving to the Villages four months ago was to dance, play golf and laugh (not necessarily in that order). My dreams have come true and the amazing people I've met are icing on the cake!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.