Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Does this thread help meet new friends?
Miss Kitty, new to Gilchrist, March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
I just you a PM, I am a single also and have met Kathie and Chachacha on this forum, great people!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty View Post
I also am a single in the Villages and would be interested in meeting others in the same situation. Would be interested in meeting new friends. Hope to hear from some of you.
Hi ya'll ... I would love to meet you guys in person also. I will plan to attend on Friday (although many people have gone back to family for the holiday already) but we could have a good single turnout and I'll try to get Cha x 3 to come too. Don't forget, 3pm, Crispers, we might be able to sit outside, I had lunch there Saturday and it was beautiful outside.

Crispers is on 101 and 466 across from the CVS in the Southern Trace Shopping Plaza. Hope to see you all there.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmire View Post
Hello, all. I am coming to the Villages for the lifestyle visit Jan. 19 - 27. I'm eager to meet you friendly folks.

I have a practical question that maybe someone can help me out with. I am retiring on 1/3 and will have to return my work cell phone. I am in the process of purchasing a new one. Do you get T-Mobile service in the Villages?

Thanks in advance,
Maggie
Cashmire, you will miss the Crispers lunch by one day.... But remind me before you get here and we'll set something up special for you. Hope to see you then.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage

Hi guys and gals, I'm back home in Gainesville, and will return to TV Dec 26 for design appt. so will miss the Friday thing, waah. I'll post again when I'm there to see whassup with singles. I have so much enjoyed spending some time with Chachacha and dancing with Charles and others.

My house should be done by mid-March and I got a feeling this is going to be too much fun!
Kitty
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Sage
Default crispers

sorry i can never make the crispers lunch because i go to a really fun italian class on friday afternoons and don't miss it if i can help it....but it is a very nice place to meet a lot of folks who want to make new friends here...am sure we will meet by and by....wish all my totv friends a blessed Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and a great new year!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
kitty, i have met so many wonderful men and women friends from posting on here because people see me as sort of a one-woman welcome committee and they pm me when they are coming and i try to meet them and introduce them to a few other singles to get them off to a good start...if you post regularly here, others will recognize that you are also an ambassador, if you will, and you will meet people, too! you are off to a good start with some very good posts! also sending you a pm...
Thanks for accepting the responsibility as Welcoming Committee!

It may surprize you and the audience on how UN friendly and exclusionary some of the "friendly" clubs are in this community.

I've been here for 8 months and I am still trying to break the ice with this community.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Sage

I've been single a very long time, Bruiser1, and I think it's natural that couples are a bit more comfortable socializing with other couples. there's a kind of balance to it, boy-girl-boy-girl. I will say that my new Gilchrist community seems very open and there are two of us singles entirely feeling embraced.
It takes more effort and courage to go out alone, so that's a great use for this forum to make friends and collect as a group, however small. Hang in there and maybe try some new strategies if what you've done isn't working!
Merry Christmas, and go accept my friend request, please.
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
Thanks for accepting the responsibility as Welcoming Committee!

It may surprize you and the audience on how UN friendly and exclusionary some of the "friendly" clubs are in this community.

I've been here for 8 months and I am still trying to break the ice with this community.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

After a LSV I returned to TV for a month's stay. A month or two prior to my arrival I made contact with both KathieI and Chax3 on TOTV. Both welcomed me with open arms and introduced me to many of their friends and acquaintances. Thank you both - again!

On the night of my arrival a man walking his dog on the street where I had rented a home welcomed me to TV before I was even able to get out of my rental car. Moreover, wherever I went on my own in TV I announced that I was visiting TV with the possibility of relocating there which just about always resulted in a great conversation. People welcomed me to sit with them in restaurants lacking a table for me.

The most astonishing thing for me, since I, too, have been single for a long time, is that in TV it really did not seem to matter whether I was single or married as it does where I now reside.

We all know that changing schools for children is difficult. Cliques form, even during their preschool years. Those who are together from an early age form stronger bonds than those who meet later. The same is true in adult life. I have moved a few times in my adult life and it has always taken some time to become part of a new community. Since TV is a retirement community and literally everyone is from somewhere else people seem to be willing and even eager to meet newcomers. Obviously those who have known each other, whether from back home or from years living in TV will be closer to each other than to newcomers. After some time most people will find a group of friends if they get out and make the effort to meet new people.

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Does this thread help meet new friends?
Miss Kitty, new to Gilchrist, March 2013
Are you within the age restrictions for the Single Baby Boomers? There are over 400 of us in the club. Guess where the most singles are?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've been single a very long time, Bruiser1, and I think it's natural that couples are a bit more comfortable socializing with other couples. there's a kind of balance to it, boy-girl-boy-girl. I will say that my new Gilchrist community seems very open and there are two of us singles entirely feeling embraced.
It takes more effort and courage to go out alone, so that's a great use for this forum to make friends and collect as a group, however small. Hang in there and maybe try some new strategies if what you've done isn't working!
Kitty
Don't get me wrong, the community in general is friendly and open . You see many enjoying " a little piece of Paradise".

But someday when you least expect it ... you just may run into me.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
After a LSV I returned to TV for a month's stay. A month or two prior to my arrival I made contact with both KathieI and Chax3 on TOTV. Both welcomed me with open arms and introduced me to many of their friends and acquaintances. Thank you both - again!

On the night of my arrival a man walking his dog on the street where I had rented a home welcomed me to TV before I was even able to get out of my rental car. Moreover, wherever I went on my own in TV I announced that I was visiting TV with the possibility of relocating there which just about always resulted in a great conversation. People welcomed me to sit with them in restaurants lacking a table for me.

The most astonishing thing for me, since I, too, have been single for a long time, is that in TV it really did not seem to matter whether I was single or married as it does where I now reside.

We all know that changing schools for children is difficult. Cliques form, even during their preschool years. Those who are together from an early age form stronger bonds than those who meet later. The same is true in adult life. I have moved a few times in my adult life and it has always taken some time to become part of a new community. Since TV is a retirement community and literally everyone is from somewhere else people seem to be willing and even eager to meet newcomers. Obviously those who have known each other, whether from back home or from years living in TV will be closer to each other than to newcomers. After some time most people will find a group of friends if they get out and make the effort to meet new people.
I look forward to meeting you Man, I'm sending a friend request.
Kitty
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Kitty
Disregard previous post. Went to SINGLE Baby Boomers club Wow!- Problem alleviated!

42 other "newby's" joined that night! I think we're going to need a bigger rec center to host this wonderful group!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

Over 600 plus at last week's meeting. How could any single in this age group be lonely?
If you are too old for this group there is always the Sumter Singles. I don't understand why some are having problems!
Especially men. Ratio is 10:1 women to men.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Eternal Member

Free beer should improve the ratio.

VG
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Over 600 plus at last week's meeting. How could any single in this age group be lonely?
If you are too old for this group there is always the Sumter Singles. I don't understand why some are having problems!
Especially men. Ratio is 10:1 women to men.

Right you are Down Sized!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

Bruiser, looks like the answer to my thread is YES, the singles forum does help us meet each other. I've felt very warmly welcomed wherever I've arrived at The Villages. I'm glad you found some life at the boomer party. I'll join after I move April 1!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.