FOR SINGLES ONLY: What was it like moving to TV as a single?

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

I too won't be up in TV by the dinner but I'll be there the first week in June and look forward to it. I'm a bit nervous about not knowing anyone yet but, hopefully, it won't take long to meet people and make new friends. I'm currently in Orlando and love Mickey but need adults. I will say one thing though - I'm pretty sick of people's comments when I say I'm moving to TV. I'm sick to death of the STD comments.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

All you singles need to join the Villages Parrot Heads club. You don't have to live in the Villages and there are clubs all over the country. Very informal... everyone's in a party mood, and you'll meet many, many nice friendly people.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage

Let me know when you arrive and we'll get together. Before I moved, I made the joke about std's myself just to get it out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I too won't be up in TV by the dinner but I'll be there the first week in June and look forward to it. I'm a bit nervous about not knowing anyone yet but, hopefully, it won't take long to meet people and make new friends. I'm currently in Orlando and love Mickey but need adults. I will say one thing though - I'm pretty sick of people's comments when I say I'm moving to TV. I'm sick to death of the STD comments.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum member

funny thing, someone just mentioned it AGAIN the other day to me....
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

Kitty - it's a deal. Coffee, tea or what I may have when I get there.
Hope, my Vet just brought it up yesterday. Geesh !!!
I like the idea of the "Parrot Heads' Club". Sounds good to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum member

it was a doctor I where I work that brought it up when I said where I was moving...must have been in a medical journal somewhere...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to RETIREDSFW

Moved here last year after husband died. Count me in---i will bring a desert.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIREDSFW View Post
Moved here last year after husband died. Count me in---i will bring a desert.
I look forward to meeting you. What's your name?
Kitty
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieDidNot View Post
Thank you for this post and thread. It was needed. It has given all of us some things to think about.

This forum can only be as good as us Singles make it. ChaX3, has done a wonderful job at trying to keep it together, but it could be better if we all worked at it too. I think we all have some issues that would liked to be addresses, but are afraid to post. Maybe those of us who are posting, could continue and it might bring others out of the woodwork.

Hope you don't step off that soapbox too permanently.

Katie
Cha thanks, I too wish I could be with you at the first gathering of the "For Singles Only" Alliance. I'm sure that those of us who can't be there would love to read a tell all report, after Kitty's soiree. Can photos be posted to these forums? I would like to see GeeWiz in action.

And Kitty, thanks for being the first to pick up the ball and running with it. It's nice to see that the group is already growing and engaging, just like KatieD predicted.

I hope NewB and RedW get to go and that Chachacha will find the support she needs to get those ID Badges that we definitely have an equal right to.

Katie R
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
it was a doctor I where I work that brought it up when I said where I was moving...must have been in a medical journal somewhere...
The rise in STDs pertains to retirement communities in general, probably due to recent medical advances for both men and women which can dramatically increase the lengths of their sexually active lives. The Villages, unfortunately, got singled out by an Orlando reporter in 2006 from an aside comment made by a gynecologist, Dr. Colleen McQuade, who was surprised to find folks in the Villages were experiencing STD issues in significant numbers, given their ages. She said something to the effect she was surprised that she was seeing more STDs in The Villages than she had seen in Miami.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...a-older-adults

Be safe, however you choose to do so!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Sage

Sorry the Kates can't come. We'll have to do this often! Pass it on to singe friends, potluck party at Kitty's in Gilchrist, sat, may 18, 6 pm. rsvp here for the address to come later. Geewiz will entertain us with his guitar and song.
Kitty
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Count Me In ~ RSVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Sorry the Kates can't come. We'll have to do this often! Pass it on to singe friends, potluck party at Kitty's in Gilchrist, sat, may 18, 6 pm. rsvp here for the address to come later. Geewiz will entertain us with his guitar and song.
Kitty
Hi Kitty & all the rest of the singles gang...I get off work at 3pm that Saturday, so I'll be there. I'll make New Orleans Chicken Gumbo & rice. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Susan
Old 05-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Kitty, first let me say, I think you may be taking on more than you bargained for, but, it is an inspired way to launch a focused Singles group.

As an example: This STD issue, that Diane brought up, is exactly what we should not be afraid to talk about openly (Katie, is this the kind of post you were talking about?) Being aware of this problem is important to any Single who is dating in TV. I had never heard a thing about it before today and frankly it was kind of a shock. I would be surprised if this is common knowledge among TV's new single residents or to the singles, like me and the others who have recently joined us but who have yet to arrive. (PS. MAT thanks for the article) Are there others here who have had to endure kind of mockery?

On that point, and this is only a suggestion if the core participants are even interested in developing our current thread into something more tangible -Maybe someone at the party could recommend another method of communicating online. Some kind of private forum for an interactive special interest Singles group. A site where we will be more comfortable talking openly, about 'engaging' topics, unique and of interest or concern to us, as well as providing a better way for the members (for lack of a better term) - to invite the participants to attend more social get-togethers, like Kitty's. Just a thought.
Katie R
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum member

Kate - I'm not in The Villages yet but the STD issue is one I have heard many many times in the past several months I've been thinking about moving. I'm annoyed with it by this point. Seems to be the very first thing that I hear when I say I'm moving to The Villages.

I do like the idea of an interactive form of communicating. Maybe we can all come up with something.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerogers View Post
Kitty, first let me say, I think you may be taking on more than you bargained for, but, it is an inspired way to launch a focused Singles group.

As an example: This STD issue, that Diane brought up, is exactly what we should not be afraid to talk about openly (Katie, is this the kind of post you were talking about?) Being aware of this problem is important to any Single who is dating in TV. I had never heard a thing about it before today and frankly it was kind of a shock. I would be surprised if this is common knowledge among TV's new single residents or to the singles, like me and the others who have recently joined us but who have yet to arrive. (PS. MAT thanks for the article) Are there others here who have had to endure kind of mockery?

On that point, and this is only a suggestion if the core participants are even interested in developing our current thread into something more tangible -Maybe someone at the party could recommend another method of communicating online. Some kind of private forum for an interactive special interest Singles group. A site where we will be more comfortable talking openly, about 'engaging' topics, unique and of interest or concern to us, as well as providing a better way for the members (for lack of a better term) - to invite the participants to attend more social get-togethers, like Kitty's. Just a thought.
Katie R
Katie, re biting off too much, a potluck is my lazy way to make sure there's enough for everyone without exactly counting. It's an almost hostess-free party, and I've had many that allowed me to have fun instead of fuss. I'm sure an open invitation with a title: Party at Kitty's would be a chandelier swinger, but the lights here haven't yet been installed!

I'll send the address to the first 30-40 who rsvp here in this thread. I love the feeling of the energies of friends in my home, so I welcome you all, and you should come just to meet my boxer, Emma. She will love the company!Kitty
ps, I just wish you could come. Maybe somebody will have a Kate party next.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.