Thinking of moving to TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Default Thinking of moving to TV

I have been thinking of moving to the Villages for a while, however I am a bit nervous of my younger age of 52. I am a single female and live an active lifestyle, cycling, walking, volunteering with my pet therapy dog, kayaking, and hoping golfing! I would like to meet people near my age group and wonder if I would make friends being younger than the average age at TV. I still work from home, but want to get involved in a positive community and outgoing individuals. Please note, I enjoy all age groups, but I want to know your thoughts on the younger side and the opportunities to meet and 'belong' to the community. Also, any thoughts on where location wise (I have scoured the website and hard to decide if new or current homes are best) for a younger community. Any thoughts in general to assist me would be helpful. I have downloaded the ebook on TV, and plan to spend the month of April getting a better feel for locations.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
much appreciated, Tracy
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM

Yes, would highly recommend renting here for a month or two. I have friends who did not like it here due to "too many old people". And there is a lot of them. If you move here buy in the new areas. More younger active owners. And you'll be a part of a new neighborhood where everyone reaches out. We bought a lovely resell home but after 3 years no neighbor has truly reached out to us. Established and clique ish. And not open to new owners. May move soon. Love my house but not my neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 03:30 PM

There are plenty of residents here in their 50s. You can meet them at the more athletic activities, as well as nearly everywhere else.
I don't think it matters much where a single person lives as far as young neighbors are concerned, because most of them will be married couples anyway. Every area has its advantages and disadvantages. Visit and see how you like it.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM

I am constantly surprised at how many younger people live in TV. By participating in your choice of activities, I think you will find plenty of people you enjoy being around. For me as a younger than average age person, the bigger frustration is working while everyone else is out having fun! Try it, I'm been pleasantly surprised how quickly we have acclimated to TV, we've been here 5 months and love it!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

I have friends in one of the younger single clubs who say there are multiple activities every day and evening. I think The Villages is ideal for singles - so many choices of activities.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 PM

I don't want to derail your thread, but is the eBook really $27 now?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you lead an active lifestyle and want to see people in their 50's and 60's and especially woman working out, doing zuma, weight lifting, yoga, spinning, etc. Make sure you stop at the MVP Health Club at Brownwood. I'm there M-F in the mornings and I would say about a 1/3 to 1/2 of the people there are in their 50's. I know both of my Yoga instructors are in their 50's and they live here. One is currently out of town, she's in Iraq working with children, now that is really what I call volunteering. Also at the golf courses and pickleball courts you'll see people in their 50's and we have the largest softball league in America, over 200 teams and over 2500 players. The ladies can play coed on the neighborhood teams and they have their own all female teams in the rec leagues, and some of them are pretty good, many played in college.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:39 PM

My single next door neighbor moved in when she was 48, and I think she is very happy living here in The Villages. I am just a few years older than her (really!), and I enjoy it here also. As active as you are, you will love it too!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Sage

Tracy, let us know when you are coming for a visit and we will do a Meet and Greet for you! it is a really good suggestion to rent for a few months to see different areas, different clubs and activities, and whether you meet some nice friends.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM

thank you everyone for your input...I am booking a rental for april! look forward to meeting everyone
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage

The area near Brownwood would be conducive to meeting people in your age group. There's also the Baby Boomer Club.

Buy a map to see all of the villages as this is a big place. Call the sales office and have them send you one for $5.

Don't get hung up on a number as my friends are 15 years younger than I am and I can run circles around them.

You owe it to yourself to come and check it out!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyC View Post
I have been thinking of moving to the Villages for a while, however I am a bit nervous of my younger age of 52. I am a single female and live an active lifestyle, cycling, walking, volunteering with my pet therapy dog, kayaking, and hoping golfing! I would like to meet people near my age group and wonder if I would make friends being younger than the average age at TV. I still work from home, but want to get involved in a positive community and outgoing individuals. Please note, I enjoy all age groups, but I want to know your thoughts on the younger side and the opportunities to meet and 'belong' to the community. Also, any thoughts on where location wise (I have scoured the website and hard to decide if new or current homes are best) for a younger community. Any thoughts in general to assist me would be helpful. I have downloaded the ebook on TV, and plan to spend the month of April getting a better feel for locations.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
much appreciated, Tracy
I am 48. I live in TV as a reverse snowbird (June through Dec). Most people are very friendly and open to meeting new people despite your age. You will run into some people who will come right out and ask you:

1. Do you live here?
2. You are renting,right?
3. Do you own a house here?

I have learned to smile and reply in most cases, "Yes, I do live here and I own two houses. The wonders of Oil of Olay!!"

I find if people are interested in getting to know me, they like what they see. If not, oh well. I love TV and everything it offers. I have been very welcome at Ladies Golf on Wednesday mornings at Churchhill and the Backgammon Club is full of geniuses!

I think if you have a positive and friendly attitude it will take you far in this wonderful place!

P.S. Don't talk politics at the pool... Peace out!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM

Hello everyone. I have been reading about TV and your discussions. I am very interested in moving to TV too. I am an active person at 55 who wants to enjoy life with friends and support each other. I am thoughtful and helpful to people. I am a good cook, like to cook, swimming, biking, yoga, gardening, travel and other sports. Would like to try other sports too, like golf, Picker Balls, etc. I plan to visit TV early June. I would love to meet you at your gathering if the timing works. Would you please let me know when is your meeting in June. Chachacha seems to be very active in this Club. Look forward to meeting and connecting with you all at TV. Thank you. Have a nice day.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:32 PM

oops, my apologies...Pickleball. You can tell, I am new kid on the block. 555
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Sage
Default Hi Maddie

we will be happy to welcome you in early June, Maddie....send me a reminder and i will schedule a Meet and Greet for that time...there are really no regular meetings...we plan things a couple of times each month to get together for fun and friendship...there are many good pickle ball players who can give you the tips of the game also if you send your email to KateRogers in a pm (private message) she will put you on our email list so that you will know what is being planned....Welcome!

Tags
thoughts, younger, age, community, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.