What are the advantages for a single in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 PM

My daughter helped me drive down and move in to my new life in the Villages. When she was leaving she said it was like leaving me at collage. I remembered telling her that going away to school was going to be a blast, what other time in your life do you get to have everyone around you be your age and some of the new friends you make will be your friends for life. Little did I know that I would find a place where everyone was in my peer group and we'd all have the same things in common having moved here to enjoy an active life in warm weather and relative safety.We all look out for one an other and want to make the best of a community as we can. So come on down and join in.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As a long time single now 72 years of age seriously considering relocating to The Villages I am curious about how singles now residing in TV feel about their lives in TV versus in their hometowns. Was it worth the move? How so?

What I have felt during several visits to TV is a warm sense of close (but not closed) community. Singles in TV not only frequently socialize but look after one another. Everyone has moved from somewhere else and seems to be open to meeting new people and developing new friendships. In my hometown social groups are pretty much long term and fixed in place. I have long term friendships but it can be difficult to develop many new ones other than by joining large church groups.

I am not asking for anything personal, just general thoughtful observations.

Thank you!
I've been up in the cold snowy north for the last three weeks for the Thanksgiving holiday. It's great to see my family and friends, but I can't wait to get back to TV. It's not just the weather, but my activities and catching up with all the people I know. The fact that I can't wait to get back
really shows what a great place TV is for a single person.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I am not single, but if I were to suddenly become single, one of the first things I would do is move to TV. I can't think of anyplace which would offer a person of my age more opportunities for socialization and activity than TV, Fl.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I am not single, but if I were to suddenly become single, one of the first things I would do is move to TV. I can't think of anyplace which would offer a person of my age more opportunities for socialization and activity than TV, Fl.
That is exactly why I left Los Angeles (which I loved) and moved to TV. After being married for 30 years, I wanted to have lots of opportunity to do things and meet people and that is exactly what I have done. I don't necessarily need to be around single people as I'm pretty outgoing and have fun with everyone. What I love the most is that I socialize with many married friends and have never felt like a 5th wheel. They accept me into all activities and I dance with the wives and husbands as well. I'm very happy I made the move, except I do miss the weather in SoCal.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
That is also why I want to move to TV so badly. I am single and there seems to be so much to do in TV that I am missing out on.

I worked in DC for 26 years. I retired and moved back home to Michigan about 9 years ago when my Dad's health started failing. Dad is gone now. Luckily, I still have DC/Virginia friends and Michigan friends from years ago but I feel lonely because those friends have their own lives. My married friends are busy with their families and my single friends are busy with their ailing parents.

Mom and I built our beautiful TV home in 2012 and rent it as a long-term rental. Mom is 90 and I think she would move to Florida if I really pushed it. But, I'm also responsible for my 86 year old aunt and my Dad's 85 year old cousin.

I've been working on Mom, my aunt and I becoming the Golden Girls. So far, it hasn't worked. But, I don't know what I would do with Dad's cousin as he doesn't have anyone else and I would feel guilty about leaving him alone.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

To not be a downer I did not bring this up initially; my two closest nearly lifelong male friends passed away a few years ago. One I had known since the second grade. Obviously they can not be replaced and I do not expect or hope to do so. I know their widows miss them far more than I do. Furthermore, several other friends are ailing or challenged in one way or another. That is just the way it is within my age group and I accept it. My brother has had spinal issues that required him to stop playing tennis which he had done since age 10. Fortunately he can still play golf.

It feels my opportunities to make new friends near my age where I now live, although they are available, are few in number. Moreover, my friends and acquaintances are spread out over the Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego and Ventura County areas. It is not very easy to visit and spend time with them. People in SoCal seem to move around a lot within the area.

It felt like during the two months total time over three visits I was able to spend in TV that it was easy to meet people with whom I enjoyed spending time, there was plenty to do and everything was convenient. Those are major upsides as I see things today.

Like KathieI I would sure miss the Southern California weather though. I consider it to be the best in the world. But it might be worth it to have a great social life right at my front door, so to speak.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
To not be a downer I did not bring this up initially; my two closest nearly lifelong male friends passed away a few years ago. One I had known since the second grade. Obviously they can not be replaced and I do not expect or hope to do so. I know their widows miss them far more than I do. Furthermore, several other friends are ailing or challenged in one way or another. That is just the way it is within my age group and I accept it. My brother has had spinal issues that required him to stop playing tennis which he had done since age 10. Fortunately he can still play golf.

It feels my opportunities to make new friends near my age where I now live, although they are available, are few in number. Moreover, my friends and acquaintances are spread out over the Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego and Ventura County areas. It is not very easy to visit and spend time with them. People in SoCal seem to move around a lot within the area.

It felt like during the two months total time over three visits I was able to spend in TV that it was easy to meet people with whom I enjoyed spending time, there was plenty to do and everything was convenient. Those are major upsides as I see things today.

Like KathieI I would sure miss the Southern California weather though. I consider it to be the best in the world. But it might be worth it to have a great social life right at my front door, so to speak.
I'm married and have both married and single friends. The folks I know are open to friends of both varieties. I know my single friends participate in the large number of available single events, as well as those open to all. You won't have trouble making friends or finding things to do. Quite honestly, your biggest problem will be narrowing down the things you want to do.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Sage

Nice article about singles in The Villages in the 12/5/14 Daily Sun - internet version. I was surprised by the large number of singles in TV and surrounding towns according to that article.

Clearly, singles have much to occupy their time in The Villages!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'm married and have both married and single friends. The folks I know are open to friends of both varieties. I know my single friends participate in the large number of available single events, as well as those open to all. You won't have trouble making friends or finding things to do. Quite honestly, your biggest problem will be narrowing down the things you want to do.
I so agree. We have many single friends and I just don't think of them differently. We need to encourage friendship of like minded people.

But, I wish someone would be a good match maker, like Yenta, so that anyone who wants a partner can find one that would make them smile and be their comforting other half.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I so agree. We have many single friends and I just don't think of them differently. We need to encourage friendship of like minded people.

But, I wish someone would be a good match maker, like Yenta, so that anyone who wants a partner can find one that would make them smile and be their comforting other half.

Perhaps we should put together a business model...let's see, we could call it "It's Only Pickle Ball."
Old 12-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Doggone it, Manaboutown, get your SoCal hiney down here so we can have you over for dinner!

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Last edited by Wandatime; 12-06-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Sage

Thank you for your kind invitation Wanda. When I return to TV I will most definitely take you up on it!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Where and when do the singles meet ?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Sage

there are several official singles groups which you can find in the rec news, but our Unclub here on this site does not have regular meetings....if someone contacts us to say they are coming to the villages as a single or have recently moved here, we try to arrange a Meet and Greet of some sort to help them meet friends and fill their social calendar....please pm me if you are here and i will let you know of some of the small get togethers we have planned in the next few weeks....everyone is invited to the dec 27 holiday party, for example! hope to meet you!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
there are several official singles groups which you can find in the rec news, but our Unclub here on this site does not have regular meetings....if someone contacts us to say they are coming to the villages as a single or have recently moved here, we try to arrange a Meet and Greet of some sort to help them meet friends and fill their social calendar....please pm me if you are here and i will let you know of some of the small get togethers we have planned in the next few weeks....everyone is invited to the dec 27 holiday party, for example! hope to meet you!
I was in my yard yesterday when my new neighbor walked over and introduced himself ........... he is a long time widower and was asking about single ladies. I told him TV has the best looking single ladies and the singles do more things than you would imagine. He is not full time yet, but he was much relieved to hear that there was life after retirement!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.