White or Black Kitchen Appliances?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Sage

I don't like stainless steel appliances at all. But they sure are popular with new home owners. (Perhaps they don't know about wiping off finger prints).
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
really white??
do you want to live in an operating room?
make a statement, go with warm wood and black appliances.
look at models with the combination and see what you like.
stainless has a cold look, just an opinon. it is a fad.
don't you remember harvest gold and pea green from the 60's.
how bad did that look in the 80's.
My parents got married in 1957. They only owned 2 houses during their marriage. The house they built in 1964 is the one my dad still lives in today. The last appliance from 1964 is still in the house -- that would be the coppertone electric stove. Betty Draper from "Mad Men" would love that stove! Don't know how I feel about stainless steel. The appliances in my townhouse are from the mid-1980's and still going strong.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 AM

white really????? with white walls, light floor and the lights.
do you like the look of operating rooms?
live on the edge, make a statement, chose some warm wood colors and go with the black.
stainless, remember what the olive green and harvest gold looked like in the 60's and then what they looked like in the 80's. yuck!!
check out the models and see what the professionals have chosen.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
white really????? with white walls, light floor and the lights.
do you like the look of operating rooms?
live on the edge, make a statement, chose some warm wood colors and go with the black.
stainless, remember what the olive green and harvest gold looked like in the 60's and then what they looked like in the 80's. yuck!!
check out the models and see what the professionals have chosen.
The place will have a Hayseed paint, light Beige, so White with light Gray wood might work. I have not ruled out the Black as yet. I thank you.

Thought the White and brightness might make ME look younger in there too!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM

I hear that Avocado is making a strong comeback in appliance colors to go along with deep pile shag carpetting and knotty pine wallboard for the living room.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post
I hear that Avocado is making a strong comeback in appliance colors to go along with deep pile shag carpetting and knotty pine wallboard for the living room.
OH NOOO!.... Where'd I put my rug rake!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Wink Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
white cabinets or light use black...the new fronts have a texture to keep finger prints at bay...White with any other color ..stainless have them now and every morning i look at the finger prints i just cleaned last night and wonder who comes in at night and smears them again and it takes forever to get them clean..best bet have your rep take you to models with different colors and narrow it down to not only what looks best but what statement you want to make
Hubby has solution to this problem...his and her mittens!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Straz View Post
OK, I'm a single guy and have to pick out the color of my new Cottage home kitchen appliances. It's white, black or stainless. I will never do stainless again. I'd like to hear from some of the ladies about black vs white. I saw a model with black appliances and darker walnut cabinets and it seemed too dark. Help?
This is very clearly a subjective question and the answers you get may not, ultimately, be what you find appealing. Having said that, when my wife and I were looking at both new and pre-owned homes, we were very clear that we did not want to see any properties that had black kitchen appliances. It just seemed odd to us, mostly because we never owned black appliances. Well, we attended an open house in TV before we met with our TV agent and we really liked the kitchen and, truth be told, the kitchen had all black appliances. We were sold and then narrowed our search of new homes to those homes that only have black appliances and we are thrilled with the look.

We are closing on our current home in two days and we have high end stainless steel appliances and we love the way our kitchen looks.

My point is to be open minded and to take in to consideration how your kitchen will flow with the rest of your home. I've owned properties that had white, stainless steel and black appliances and for each occasion, the color worked for that specific house.

Good luck with your decision.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

I've been the gamut with colors over the year. Up north, before we moved here had black and would have to say it shows dust and fingerprints even if you're fastidious about keeping them wiped down and clean. I like that the builder's went with white...though so far we've upgraded the fridge and will be the dishwasher. White goes with everything and can look classy. I agree with the posts here that stainless is hard to keep clean.

Wonder in a few years what folks will say about granite and stainless...will the comments be "oh that's so the early century!" Think about when avocado and gold became passe..people would laugh and say that they were so the 60's and 70's!!! I think the fads "date" themselves alot quicker!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
I've been the gamut with colors over the year. Up north, before we moved here had black and would have to say it shows dust and fingerprints even if you're fastidious about keeping them wiped down and clean. I like that the builder's went with white...though so far we've upgraded the fridge and will be the dishwasher. White goes with everything and can look classy. I agree with the posts here that stainless is hard to keep clean.

Wonder in a few years what folks will say about granite and stainless...will the comments be "oh that's so the early century!" Think about when avocado and gold became passe..people would laugh and say that they were so the 60's and 70's!!! I think the fads "date" themselves alot quicker!!!
Thanks again to all for the very helpful ideas. I'm old enough to remember Coppertone and Yellow as well. I'm coming from a Mountain Chalet with wood everywhere so the lighter look ( white ) to the kitchen will be a nice change. The Black is not bad, but I'm due for some brighter feel in that room as I'm leaving Hickory, Pine, and wormy Maple. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Platinum member

Congratulations on your decision. I understand that you want to brighten up your kitchen with white appliances. We have stainless and so far really like them. The keeping clean/fingerprint problem is not a problem at all. All you have to do is spray a paper towel with WD40 and wipe the front and everyting looks like new. We don't have many fingerprints, but do have nose prints from our 2 dachshunds. And those nose prints only come up about a foot from the floor.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post
Oh no.....where are the decorating
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.