White or Black Kitchen Appliances?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Default White or Black Kitchen Appliances?

OK, I'm a single guy and have to pick out the color of my new Cottage home kitchen appliances. It's white, black or stainless. I will never do stainless again. I'd like to hear from some of the ladies about black vs white. I saw a model with black appliances and darker walnut cabinets and it seemed too dark. Help?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I was gonna say stainless, because that is the most resellable. (I am told)

But...who cares about that?? Stainless is such a PIA to take care of. Dark cabinets? I'd vote for white.

Tony is NEVER gonna give us a Decorator Forum....
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum member

You can't go wrong with white.... your wood trim in the house is white, toilets and sinks white, right? It will all look coordinated.

Black can be striking.... I've used it with light cabs and dark... and even white woodwork like I mentioned above. Trick is, you must take everything into account when using it..... and color balance it to countertops, hardware, flooring, etc. to make it wonderful.
MORE than most guys want to bother with. I mean... it's a refrigerator, right!

Bottom line, white is the easiest to keep clean. Does that do it?

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 07-13-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: To add punctuation
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage

Black shows every finger mark and it takes real work to keep it shiny
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

white cabinets or light use black...the new fronts have a texture to keep finger prints at bay...White with any other color ..stainless have them now and every morning i look at the finger prints i just cleaned last night and wonder who comes in at night and smears them again and it takes forever to get them clean..best bet have your rep take you to models with different colors and narrow it down to not only what looks best but what statement you want to make
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

White. Your home will look lighter and brighter.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Sage

Had white cabinets with white appliances in CA. I loved it. Here the house came with black appliances, black patterned granite and medium cherry colored cabinets. I don't mind the black appliances, they coordinate well with the countertops, but it does make the kitchen a bit on the dark side. Since I'm not going to change the granite for quite a while, when appliances will be replaced, they will be black. Stainless is a pain to care for.

Did you say what color your cabinets are? Do you get lots of light in the kitchen? Do you prefer light and bright or dark and warm? Either way, there are textured fronts for fridges that help hide fingerprints, but a squirt of Windex on a paper towel does a good job of cleaning dirt, smears, smudges from stoves, dishwashers, fridges.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Sage

Hi Jim,
You're right that stainless isn't painless. Don't think you can go wrong with white.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum member

Ditto White.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage

Ditto Ditto White. Just one man's opinion but what do i know?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM

White, black appliances are also PIA to keep looking clean.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

Our house was build in 2004 -- all bisque appliances in kitchen. We bought in 2007---dishwasher died---we replaced with white----refrigerator just died---we replaced with white. The bisque at stores now seemed to be much darker than what we had ---our kitchen is small (we have Jasmine home) the white appliances makes it brighter. The only bisque appliance we have left is stove/microwave and we will replace that with white when it dies---and from our experience it probably won't be long. The GE appliances that were put in this house have not lasted very long.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
Our house was build in 2004 -- all bisque appliances in kitchen. We bought in 2007---dishwasher died---we replaced with white----refrigerator just died---we replaced with white. The bisque at stores now seemed to be much darker than what we had ---our kitchen is small (we have Jasmine home) the white appliances makes it brighter. The only bisque appliance we have left is stove/microwave and we will replace that with white when it dies---and from our experience it probably won't be long. The GE appliances that were put in this house have not lasted very long.
So sorry to hear this. I have GE stove and GE washer and dryer in current home that have lasted 28 years. I guess they just don;t make things the way they used to.
Suzanne
Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Straz View Post
OK, I'm a single guy and have to pick out the color of my new Cottage home kitchen appliances. It's white, black or stainless. I will never do stainless again. I'd like to hear from some of the ladies about black vs white. I saw a model with black appliances and darker walnut cabinets and it seemed too dark. Help?
I have had the black textured refrigerator before and loved it. Thinking of stainless but I have also heard they are hard to keep up. Speaking of refrigerators...does anyone have any feedback on the newer french door refrigerator with the freezer at the bottom. If you have one do you like it or wish you had gone with a side by side?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default french door fridge

to Lincap, I am not in TV but I do have a frenchdoor fridge and love love it! Hubs has arthritis and it was so hard to get in the fridge in the old model so we bought the french door fridge and it is soooooo handy!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.