White or Black Kitchen Appliances?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum member

I have a GE Profile french door ref. in black installed here last Sept. and love it. I had a Kenmore Black french door back in MA and loved it. Before that I had 2 side/sides and though I liked them at the time, once I got the french door and realized how easy it is to store large turkeys, deli platters, pizzas etc and that the fresh food items are now at eye level and only have to bend over for freezer items occasionally (talk about lazy) I prefer french-door. Also the freezer has a top level in the drawer that pulls out within the freezer and makes searching very easy. The Kenmore had a textured front, the GE is shiny. Both very easy to clean with paper towel and windex.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Sage

I had a french door fridge in CA and enjoyed it, though it was difficult to reach the back of the top shelf for me....I'm not very tall. Hubby loved it, especially having the freezer on the bottom. It didn't have water/ice in the door, but the ice cube maker was easily reachable when you opened the freezer. I didn't care for the freezer because you stacked things on top of each other...same for top freezers. Here we have a side by side and solved the narrow freezer issue by buying a small chest freezer that fits in my laundry room. Hubby is the one who "hunts" for whatever it is that we need out of the freezer...and that food item generally has worked its way to the very bottom of the freezer. I didn't know food could migrate!...

French door fridge/freezers are very good looking and have LOTS of fridge space in my estimation, but personally, I prefer the side by side I have right now.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks very much all of you who contributed, and it gave me many good ideas to think about. White is the safer way and a Florida kitchen should look bright because after all we were all bright for moving there right?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 AM

white
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default white/black

I love the classic look of black but I guess white never goes out of style. Of course it may depend on your other choices. Have you been through the model options to see what some of them would look like?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I love the classic look of black but I guess white never goes out of style. Of course it may depend on your other choices. Have you been through the model options to see what some of them would look like?
Thank you for the input, and yes I have seen the new Sand Dollar model on Carriage Way in the 'Grove'. This will be my last home and I can decorate myself, but a females input is important to me as well because I may share this kitchen one day.
One of the Clubs I played at, I believe it was the Mallory had a cottage theme to it. I'm thinking of the white appliance with a light shade of gray cabinets to give a bright cottage like look to the kitchen. The black may be described as too masculine to a future mate and I have to consider that as well. Thanks again, Jim
Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Default We have Stainless now and

we love the look. I don't think the stainless is that difficult to keep shiny. There are a lot of products out there that are easy to use and the results are great. But I like multi-taskers for cleaning, so I use Pledge, sprayed on a micro-fiber cloth - it's quick and the shine is amazing, plus it just seems to stay clean longer than if I used the "made-for-stainless" cleaners. Plan on eventually replacing the appliances (when we finally get there) with stainless. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Default I vote for white...

White never goes out of style. The green, yellow,and reddish brown appliance colors of the past passed by as fads as will black and stainless steel someday. Having said that, We have bisque in our TV home and figure we will live with them until they require replacing as they are only 4 years old. Replacements will be white.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM

I find stainless too cold, black too dark prefer white and love white cabinets and cottage look.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 PM

White I think looks so fresh and Florida like. Keep things light and airy. That would be my opinion.
Suzanne
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks Suzanne, and all of you for the help. I'm going to do the white. One day we 'Grovers" will have a big block party and invite you all over to check us out. It is such a good feeling to be sitting in my home here in NC and able to interact with such nice people as we all plan our eventual final trip to TV.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We have white cabinets and stainless steel appliances. White cabinets were an upgrade thankfully and easy to keep clean. Appliances are also easy with Pledge Specialty Surface. It's one of my responsibilities when we do our housecleaning on Fridays and ther Pledge makes it easy. I also do windows
My wife still works so we still have weekends
Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM

really white??
do you want to live in an operating room?
make a statement, go with warm wood and black appliances.
look at models with the combination and see what you like.
stainless has a cold look, just an opinon. it is a fad.
don't you remember harvest gold and pea green from the 60's.
how bad did that look in the 80's.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Sage
Default don't worry

no need to worry about that...today's appliances are not made to last twenty years like they were in those days...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM

With white cabinets and white appliances you add color with counter tops and your decorative accents. Even can put a little pale color on the walls....I think that would not be operating roomish at all. I admit with stainless steel it might be, but I've never been a fan of SS major appliances.....JMHO. The reason we have so many choices is that it gives something for every taste.
Suzanne
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.