Would You Do It Again?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Default Would You Do It Again?

As of last week, I can officially retire at any time. I've been researching retirement in TV for a long time and I'll be coming down for a lifestyle visit in the early fall. My current plan is to retire in early March. I'll probably rent in TV for a while and then, buy in.

Do any of you have regrets about buying into TV as a single? Are you happy with your level of social connections? Anyone saying, if I could do it again I'd do it in _________ (NOLA, Austin, Raleigh, Tennessee, Ann Arbor, North Carolina)??

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Harbor
Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

harbor:

No regrets at all from me.

1. I've got a far better house here than the condo I'd have wanted "up north."

2. I've got friendly and fun neighbors here; we get together every month. My neighbors up north were friendly, too, but we had two get-togethers a year. Waved at each other as we travelled up and down the street.

3. I've got friendly and fun acquaintances here. Some of them may never have entered my circle ordinarily, but now we're close.

4. As a widower of more than 11 years now, I must admit that I studiously avoid singles events (I still think of them as "meat markets"), but have many single friends met elsewhere around The Villages.

5. Yes, it's hot and humid during the summer. But, it was "up north," too.

6. The ice scraper in my car continues to do its job. Haven't seen any ice here in more than six years! [Admittedly, a couple of close calls, though!]

Come and enjoy. There's no way you'll regret it!

SWR
Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I, too, am single and have rented a home in TV for the month of October. My last visit was two years ago and it was an enjoyable 4 night lifestyle visit. It was hardly enough time to get my feet wet, so to speak. I hope to become acquainted with some villagers and check out TV's features more thoroughly to see if TV will work for me.

I do have one question, are some villages more single-friendly than others or does it not much matter where one lives?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM

Good question!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post
As of last week, I can officially retire at any time. I've been researching retirement in TV for a long time and I'll be coming down for a lifestyle visit in the early fall. My current plan is to retire in early March. I'll probably rent in TV for a while and then, buy in.

Do any of you have regrets about buying into TV as a single? Are you happy with your level of social connections? Anyone saying, if I could do it again I'd do it in _________ (NOLA, Austin, Raleigh, Tennessee, Ann Arbor, North Carolina)??

Harbor
Oh definitely NOT Ann Arbor.......maybe East Lansing .
(That green smile is so appropriate for an Spartan!)
Suzanne
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Another question comes to mind. What percentage of the people moving into The Villagesas are singles? It seems from following the discussions on TOTV that the vast majority of people - 90 some percent? - who relocate to TV are married upon arrival. Some later become single either through widowhood or divorce.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage
Default no regrets

i have lived here very happily for three years...the only ONE resident i know and love here who is not so happy is a gal who really loves the beach...so i promised to go to the beach with her (less than two hour drive) more often and even bought a used beach umbrella!! all the other hundreds of people i have met here just love it enthusiastically and are very happy....not sure of the percentage of singles, but there are plenty of us!!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Absolutely do not have any regrets.

This is our second time living here, tried other places including Costa Rica and finally decided this is the best retirement village in the world.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post

Harbor
I am single and moved here from Jacksonville in January 2000 - didn't know a soul - no matter - would definitely do it all again just the way I did it the first time - Love everything about the Villages. My only problem is finding a male partner for the mixed couples golf tournaments. In my Village, it doesn't matter whether you are single or married, its just a really nice place to be and everyone seems to look out for everyone - regardless of your marital status. Come on down - you will be very glad you did.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Sage

Many, many people are single in TV. Mostly because they have lost a spouse to death. My guess-ta-ment would be 15 to 1, women to men. The people, both men and women, who I know who are "single" are enjoying themselves and have no regrets.

Just thinking about the singles who I've gotten to know at our night time pool group, off the top of my head, I can name nine single women between the ages of 55 to 75. There is one single gentleman who lost his wife two years ago. He is in his late-70s.

I am married and we have ALL become friends. They seem to be very happy and have many friends.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Good luck with your decision. I bought a home in 2010 and plan on being here at least half the year in 2012. I'm single and bought without knowing anyone. I made 5 visits and each time met many people. I play golf and tennis and had no problem playing here (a guy I met at golf even offered to fix me up with his wife's friends). I can't wait for next year to meet others and play some mixed doubles!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Sage

Thank you to all who have posted about the positive experiences of moving to TV as a single. I appreciate your opinions.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

No regrets at all

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.