Disputed Offside Call on US vs Iran

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2022, 11:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Disputed Offside Call on US vs Iran

I am not a fan nor expert in Soccer, but my son played in kids soccer about 50 years ago. My recollection was that Offside was when an Offensive player was closer to the goal than any defensive player and the ball was kicked to him from behind. Even though he waited for the ball to pass him before he touched it, I thought it was offside. That was what was called today as offside but some are calling that a bad call in the IRAN US game.

Any experts here?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:51 PM

Hmmm. If your talking about the offside by the USA player in extra time, then, yeah, he was offside. I'm not sure what the debate is. It was very close, but they can review this with digital technology and there really isn't any argument. Usually the line ref doesn't call it when it's this close and lets VAR handle it. I bet he was sweating a bit.

In some cases there can be a bit of controversy when offsides is called on a player that didn't touch the ball, but obscured the keeper. This is a bit subjective.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When the call is in your favor, just take it.
There will be plenty of other times when the call costs you.
The result stands!
Well done USA.

Offside Rule: There must be two players ( last defender and goalkeeper ) between the attacking player and goal when the ball is played into the defending half or received.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Does soccer not have challenges and replay?
Old 11-30-2022, 07:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Does soccer not have challenges and replay?
Thank the Gods, no challenges.
Bl**dy Prima Donna mangers will challenge every call
Referee's can review a decision, (VAR) which IMHO is a retrograde step.
Play to the ref and linesman's decisions, why slow the flow of the game at all.
Over the season the calls, good or bad, will even out.
Get on with the game, and get us down the pub earlier!
Old 11-30-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
When the call is in your favor, just take it.
There will be plenty of other times when the call costs you.
The result stands!
Well done USA.

Offside Rule: There must be two players ( last defender and goalkeeper ) between the attacking player and goal when the ball is played into the defending half or received.
Couple of fine points. The two defenders are any 2 and does not require that one be a goalie, although almost always the goalie is back. And the offsides rule is only applied when the ball is passed not when it is received.

IMO they ought to scrap the rule. It would open up play and more scoring which all fans enjoy. Maybe something like hockey's blue line where the ball must cross before the player 25 yards out.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Couple of fine points. The two defenders are any 2 and does not require that one be a goalie, although almost always the goalie is back. And the offsides rule is only applied when the ball is passed not when it is received.

IMO they ought to scrap the rule. It would open up play and more scoring which all fans enjoy. Maybe something like hockey's blue line where the ball must cross before the player 25 yards out.
The offsides is the only ruling which is weird and odd to me, a rookie ‘football’ watcher. I’ve seen the VAR call on video and stop motion.

I agree with a Blue Line change. And that would increase scoring. And interest in watching the sport.

But a change like that would be like our football, 8 yards for a first down, baseball no double plays, tennis singles play on the doubles court rules, basketball hoop is 1/2” larger. ETC. it will never happen. So soccer will remain a sport of drying paint.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:44 AM
Gold member

Thanks for posting this. It keeps me from having to watch "football". I get enough sleep at night, don't need any more.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:

Correct.
I was just stating the usual/obvious configuration for those who are not familiar with soccer rules.
Passed is also correct. Don't know why I put received.
Maybe that's why I never passed the referees exam!

Last edited by Two Bills; 11-30-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

There was a take-away of a score in the French-Tunisia game by the French because a couple of players were offside. Tunisia 1-0 France: Tunisia upset France but fail to qualify - BBC Sport

As an aside it is nice to see the various women referees in the World Cup in 2022. World Cup 2022: Germany vs. Costa Rica to feature all-female refereeing crew
Old 11-30-2022, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There was a take-away of a score in the French-Tunisia game by the French because a couple of players were offside. Tunisia 1-0 France: Tunisia upset France but fail to qualify - BBC Sport

As an aside it is nice to see the various women referees in the World Cup in 2022. World Cup 2022: Germany vs. Costa Rica to feature all-female refereeing crew
Problem is, they'll call penalties on things that happened in the LAST World Cup!

Or, they'll hold up a Yellow card and say, "You know what you did!"

-Tom Petty
Old 11-30-2022, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Problem is, they'll call penalties on things that happened in the LAST World Cup!

Or, they'll hold up a Yellow card and say, "You know what you did!"

Sexism and denigration of women is so funny. Ha Ha
Old 11-30-2022, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

The emphasis seems to be about keeping people from scoring rather than putting up big scores.

Some exciting games today as far as low scoring games are concerned.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:45 AM
Default Offside

Quote:

I agree they should ditch offside - at all levels it is called badly and with VAR brilliant paly is penalized by what I call fingernail offside. Soccer should also use rolling substitution and stopped time like every other time sport.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:22 AM

In essence, rolling substitution is in effect at the high levels as extra time is tracked by the fourth referee for substitutions, injuries and score celebrations.
The offside rule has been amended by FIFA a couple times over the past 25 years in an attempt to increase scoring. IMHO, what you are witnessing the tournament is the development of national football programs around the globe so there is no longer a huge gap between the elite country programs and others. The athleticism and understanding of how to play the game at a high level is amazing.
Closed Thread

Tags
offside, player, ball, soccer, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.