Dodgers win Division by 22 games but it comes down to 5 games

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2022, 02:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Unless the Braves and Dodgers win two in a row, we will have the Padres and the Phillies in the National League Championship Series - and one of them in the World Series. Of the six teams that made the NL playoffs, they were the two worst teams.
Padres 89-73
Phillies 87-75
And the Padres play the Phillies for the National League Championship.

I wonder if having the two worst teams in the NLC will hurt the television ratings.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
And the Padres play the Phillies for the National League Championship.

I wonder if having the two worst teams in the NLC will hurt the television ratings.
Two worst teams in the the NLC? They beat the other teams.

As I've said, you can't always judge which is the better team by their regular season record. Some teams play weaker schedules than others. Some teams peak early and some peak late. There are many factors on determining which is the better team.

Usually, only the majority of people that watch the LCS and the World Series are fans of the teams that are involved. I'm from Boston and unless the Red Sox are in, I couldn't care less. If you're from L.A. you probably won't be watching any longer.

True baseball fans do exist but they are few and far between. It's not like the Super Bowl. It was at one time, but those days like a league without divisions are gone. High school kids no longer ask to bring transistor radios to school to keep track of the World Series between classes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:15 PM
Platinum member

Six teams made the National League playoffs. Of those six teams, the team with the worst record is in the World Series. The Phillies had a regular season record of 87-75. That is just the team I wanted to see in the World Series.

At least the American League has the teams with the best regular season record in the ALCS - New York and Houston.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Platinum member

Watching World Series.

The Astros are playing the Phillies. According to the regular season records, the Astros (106-56) finished 19 games ahead of the Phillies (87-75).

The 19-win disparity between the teams is the largest among World Series participants since 1906, when the 93-win Chicago White Sox stunned the Chicago Cubs, who won a major league record 116 games.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Six teams made the National League playoffs. Of those six teams, the team with the worst record is in the World Series. The Phillies had a regular season record of 87-75. That is just the team I wanted to see in the World Series.

At least the American League has the teams with the best regular season record in the ALCS - New York and Houston.
In a short series anything can and will happen
Old 11-02-2022, 07:54 AM
Platinum member

The Phillies now lead 2 games to 1 in the World Series. They were the last team to qualify for the expanded playoffs this year. Last year 10 teams qualified - this year 12 teams qualified.

Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said “And I was a fan of expanded playoffs. They’re good for the game of baseball.”'

If expanded playoffs are good for the game, should we keep expanding them? We should have every team with a regular season record above .500 in the playoffs. This year, twelve teams qualified for the playoffs. However, there were 14 teams that finished above .500 - the Orioles and the Brewers missed out. (Two teams finished at .500.) Adding teams that finished above .500 would only add two more teams to the 12 teams that qualified this year - and it is "good for the game."
Old 11-02-2022, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers had a record of 111–51 play the
San Diego Padres who had a record of 89–73.

The Dodgers won the Division by 22 games but after 162 games, it comes down to a best of 5 playoff.

Not sure if there is a solution but it seems a bit unfair. The only advantage is that the Dodgers have 3 home games and Padres have 2.
Makes 0 sense to me. Play 162 games and then need to win a series of 5. In other words teams need to concentrate on 5 of the 167 games that they play to get to the playoffs or 5/167 games which is .0059. Season is too long. Remenber Mr. October, Reggie Jackson?
Closed Thread

Tags
games, dodgers, padres, record, division

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.